27 posts in this topic

Eventbrite is presenting another program from the UCLA Film & Television Archive featuring three episodes of the short-lived FRANKLY JAZZ TV series that aired on local Los Angeles television from August of 1962 through January of 1963 when it was replaced by THE RAY ANTHONY SHOW on KTLA channel 5. This has been one of my research areas for years, still trying to run down every episode. The quality of the broadcast should be excellent as the source is 2" videotape. Here is a link to the UCLA announcement:

 

https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/events/2021/05/06/frankly-jazz-three-preserved-episodes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in, thanks! Please tell UCLA how much this is appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice ... though I would have chosen the Curtis Amy episode for sure.  I exchanged email with his son, Lance, years ago. He had a website, Franklyjazz.com. Said he wanted to offer DVDs of the shows.

Anyway neat program I will try to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks for letting us know about this!

I'm particularly stoked to hear and SEE Gerald Wilson's big band!  :tup 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Many thanks for letting us know about this!

I'm particularly stoked to hear and SEE Gerald Wilson's big band!  :tup 

Teddy Edwards, baby!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Teddy Edwards, baby!

Nice. Didn't know this was already floating around out there!

Thanks Jim! :tup 

 

That show was very well presented.  Excellent but unobtrusive cinematography.  That straight-ahead image of GW soloing during "Milestones" was really ear- and eye-catching!  ... And you're right about Teddy.  The man had musical charisma!

I'm looking forward to seeing & hearing more Frankly Jazz.

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank Evans' son, Lance, has a youtube channel where he has taken individual segments, the performance of a single tune, and posted them singly for viewing. In all I believe he has segments from six or seven shows, will add this later when I am at the office. The quality as seen in the above screen shot is grainy, perhaps from kinescopes. The emergence of copies on videotape gives hope that other programs were saved on the same medium. I emailed Lance to alert him to the event and he said that he had already learned about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lance Evans has posted segments from ten episodes of Frankly Jazz:

 

Jazz Crusaders / Mary Ann McCall

Gerald Wilson Orchestra

Shelly Manne and His Men / Irene Kral

Paul Horn Quintet

Curtis Amy / Dupree Bolton

Lighthouse All Stars / Lou Rawls

Joe Pass / Peter Evans

Bud Shank / Clare Fischer / Terry Morel

Victor Feldman Trio / Sammy Davis, Jr.

Shorty Rogers and His Giants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JamesAHarrod said:

Lance Evans has posted segments from ten episodes of Frankly Jazz:

 

 

Jazz Crusaders / Mary Ann McCall

 

Gerald Wilson Orchestra

 

Shelly Manne and His Men / Irene Kral

 

Paul Horn Quintet

 

Curtis Amy / Dupree Bolton

 

Lighthouse All Stars / Lou Rawls

 

Joe Pass / Peter Evans

 

Bud Shank / Clare Fischer / Terry Morel

 

Victor Feldman Trio / Sammy Davis, Jr.

 

Shorty Rogers and His Giants

 

How do I find his YouTube channel?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you could click here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/FranklyJazzTV/videos

btw, seeing Henry Grant on tenor in the lineup of the Gerald Wilson Band reminded me of this excerpt from Steve Isoardi's new book The Music Finds a Way

http://www.pointofdeparture.org/PoD73/PoD73Isoardi.html

(I actually bought the book after reading this sample... don't regret this at all but I should mention that the free sample is about 30% of the book though)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have long wanted to do a feature on Frankly Jazz for my blog. The recent UCLA event has prompted me to put it together. Here is the link:

https://jazzresearch.com/frankly-jazz/

All of the active links will take you to a separate window on your system to view the youtube segment. I believe that I have gathered all of Lance's segments that he has posted to his youtube account for the series.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the heads-up on this one as well, James.  Do you know if the May 6 4 p.m. showing time is California time or EST?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

California I’m sure. That was the problem for me last time as that’s when we eat dinner. However, I’m content to watch the YouTube videos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thank you so much, quite a bit of stuff I'd been curious about (like Bud Shank with Joe Burnett or that Frank Strazzeri Quintet with Mouse Bonati)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 1:39 PM, JamesAHarrod said:

Eventbrite is presenting another program from the UCLA Film & Television Archive featuring three episodes of the short-lived FRANKLY JAZZ TV series that aired on local Los Angeles television from August of 1962 through January of 1963 when it was replaced by THE RAY ANTHONY SHOW on KTLA channel 5. This has been one of my research areas for years, still trying to run down every episode. The quality of the broadcast should be excellent as the source is 2" videotape. Here is a link to the UCLA announcement:

 

https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/events/2021/05/06/frankly-jazz-three-preserved-episodes

BUMP!!! Register now, for this streaming event THIS Thursday at 7pm EDT (4pm PDT).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason, I really enjoy hearing Joe Maini on tenor (!) here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was good. 

The Gerald Wilson episode was the best, IMO.

Will more of these become available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No comments on these shows?

I am wondering if anyone has the titles of the all the tunes that Gerald Wilson played.  One was of course "Perdido" and I believe the Latin tune was called "Latino."  I missed the titles of the other two.  I think they played four tunes total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole thing was pretty fantastic, sounded fantastic, and LOOKED fantastic. Such a rich and vibrant black & white capture — it really looked as good as many top-drawer b&w films. But bring on video, it really felt like you were there!!

Even the segments with Sammy Davis Jr (on vibes, no less, and well more than just competently too!) “were a gas”, as he might have said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

The whole thing was pretty fantastic, sounded fantastic, and LOOKED fantastic. Such a rich and vibrant black & white capture — it really looked as good as many top-drawer b&w films. But bring on video, it really felt like you were there!!

Even the segments with Sammy Davis Jr (on vibes, no less, and well more than just competently too!) “were a gas”, as he might have said.

The Sammy segment was interesting from a historical perspective, but I would much rather have heard him sing than pay vibes.

It was very cool seeing Victor Feldman.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.