AOTW 18-24 July George Russell

JohnS

Thanks for the tap Mike. I was thinking about "Sonny Rollins Plus Four" or the Gillespie/Stitt/Rollins "Sonny Side Up", both fine albums and good candidates for AOTW but it seems that Geprge Russell has it by popular demand.

This is a great album that can be listened to time and time again.

d599608r5im.jpg

What I like the best about this is the merging of rhythmic patterns with the abstract contrapuntal lines. This one turned me on to Barry Galbraith and Hal McKusick. I then found George Russell arrangements on albums by Teddy Charles, McKusick and others - this opened up a musical world. Great choice! :tup

I have the 1987 RCA Bluebird CD - bought the French CD for a friend years later, compared the sound and found it to be absolutely identical!

At last! Great choice. One thing I always forget about this album: the largest configuration here is only a sextet. For some reason, with all the colors Russell gets out of the ensemble, it sometimes feels like a nonet or larger.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that, for "jazz" recordings, this album may be the most harmonically advanced of its time (1956). I also can't think of any other albums previous to this one that could stand as a musical precedent or model. It seems to have simply occurred, fully formed, on the scene. Now, that is likely not the case, as I'm sure Russell had his mentors and influences, but, at least discographically speaking, it does seem the case.

I don't understand the Lydian Chromatic Concept (of Tonal Organization) that well, but I think I'm hearing a fair amount of "fourthy" chording, which Russell may have first heard in Stravinsky's writing? Maybe someone more musically trained can clue me in.

What is your favorite track from this recording?

I wish it included the Columbia recording of All About Rosie (most of the same players 6 months later).

For those interested, "All About Rosie" was reissued on CD as part of the Columbia Legacy CD "The Birth of the Third Stream" in 1996.

A great disc! And All About Rosie is indeed a killer!

I wish they'd reissue the Modern Jazz Society disc in its entirety!

Well, I listened to this twice yesterday, one time through the new copy of the French cd that I just got to replace the Koch version that skipped, and once to the Koch version to refresh myself as to where it skipped. Oddly, on my new player, the Koch didn't seem to skip, which it did on every other player I've had, or if it did I missed it this time!

Anyway, a great and exciting listen. I've always liked this and I'm especially glad to have the two alternates on the end, and I've always felt that "I'll Remember April" ERR I MEAN "Concerto for Billy the Kid" is a real powerhouse, especially the stereo alternate that has that fantastic Evans solo where he quotes Monk among others. . . I really love that selection, could play it over and over. (And dig that siren on the stereo alternate of "Blewitt"!)

Farmer, McKusick, Evans, Bauer: everyone plays so well, and the writing is right there for them. In some ways I don't think Russell ever topped this one.

Edited by jazzbo

Russell is a real individual, instanly recognisable. I love his scoring for the horns

and guitar, no one else ever did quite the same thing. And the compositions have a driving quality which again is quite individual. All the players here fit Russell's music perfectly. I dig that siren too.

Does the session with Paul Motian sound a bit muddy compared to the other dates? It had a different enginer.

Thinking about this period I'm not sure that the recordings by Hal McKusickon RCA and Decca ever got the the critical attention they deserve. Same goes for Teddy Charles.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been in and out of town, so I come late to the praise for this seminal album. I believe that we had a detailed discussion of the Jazz Workshop series in this forum several months ago. This album, and the Hal McKusick Workshop have always been favorites of mine over the years, and I have had to champion this music in arguments with others who only see John Coltrane as the legacy of the late fifties ... Somehow this music was largely forgotten by the general jazz fan, but many musicians I interviewed over the years were very much aware of it, and its important influence. It is gratifying to see newer jazz fans discovering this music for the first time.

Isn't it interesting how many important albums from this period featured Art Farmer and Bill Evans? ... And what a pity that Hal McKusick made so few albums in his own name.

1956-1962 was an incredibly rich period for jazz on both coasts. There are so many wonderful iconic albums from that period that all of us jazz lovers know them by heart. I wonder how many albums from the last six years will have the same impact forty years from now?

Garth,

Houston.

• 3 weeks later...

In the liner notes to the GRP Decca selection CD of McKusick's LPs for that label, the writer points out how many great Russell arrangements were recorded with McKusick in the band, on three Russell LPs for Decca and RCA, and three McKusick LPs for Decca and RCA. Farmer and Evans on much of them. A great admirable body of work, and among the few I try to get a complete collection of.

• 2 years later...