The Ultimate Jazz Archive

neveronfriday

4725240.jpg

This one comes from the same folks that put out those 10-CD cheapo boxes talked about elsewhere (Shaw, Holiday, Parker, Nat King Cole, Goodman, ...) and I have no idea about the remastering (the info on the originating German page sucks [remastered from vinyl, tape or other]) but it could be a nice present for someone who maybe isn't into jazz/blues that much?

Otherwise you could order several as door stops, letter weights (for lots of letters) or as a lethal weapon in an attempt to get people out of the way quickly who have so far stood inbetween you and your jazz purchases. :ph34r:

- 168 CDs (this thing must weigh a ton!)

- more than 3000 tunes

- end of 19th century up to middle 50s (EU copyright law :D )

- 360 page book with bio of artists (probably no recording data, as usual)

- to be released August 15, 2005

- Euro 119,99 (that's 0,71422619047619047619047619047619 Euro per CD!)

# Classic Jazz - Dixieland - Ragtime

Scott Joplin, Original Dixieland Jazz Band, New Orleans Rhythm Kings, King Oliver, Jelly Roll Morton, Duke Ellington, Bix Beiderbecke, Buster Bailey, Johnny Dodds, Louis Armstrong, Louis Russell, Red Nichols, McKinneys Cotton Pickers, Jack Teagarden, J. C. Higgenbotham, Benny Carter, Clarence Williams, Fletcher Henderson, Jabbo Smith's Rhythm Aces, The Rhythmakers, Sidney Bechet, Washboard Rhythm Kings, Mezz Mezzrow, Pee Wee Russell, Muggsy Spanier, Bud Freeman, Eddie Condon, George Wettling, Lu Watters, Bobby Hackett, Edmond Hall, Barney Bigard, Kid Ory, Wilbur De Paris, George Lewis, Louis Armstrong

# Blues

Bessie Smith, Ma Rainey, Mississippi John Hurt, Tampa Red, T-Bone Walker, Josh White, Blind Willie McTell, Big Bill Broonzy, Leadbelly, Big Joe Williams, Robert Johnson, Kokomo Arnold, John Lee Willamson, Sonny Terry, Sleepy John Estes, Brownie McGhee, Memphis Slim, Muddy Waters, Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup, Big Joe Turner, Roosevelt Sykes, Lightnin' Hopkins, John Lee Hooker, Johnny Otis, B. B. King Jimmy Witherspoon, Howlin' Wolf, Ray Charles

# Boogie Woogie

Albert Ammons, Meade Lux Lewis, Pete Johnson, Big Band Boogie

# Swing To Bebop - Modern Jazz

Joe Venuti + Eddie Lang, Fats Waller, Coleman Hawkins, Art Tatum, Ben Webster, Django Reinhardt, Benny Goodman, Roy Eldridge, Earl "Fatha" Hines, Lester Young, Teddy Wilson, Benny Carter, Lionel Hampton, Charlie Shavers, Charlie Christian, Dexter Gordon, Erroll Garner, Slam Stewart, Wardell Gray, Lucky Thompson, Don Byas, Illinois Jacquet, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, Lennie Tristano, Thelonious Monk, Fats Navarro, George Shearing, Gene Ammons, Sonny Stitt, Bud Powell, Lee Konitz, Miles Davis, Zoot Sims, Herbie Mann, James Moody, Stan Getz, Dave Brubeck, Modern Jazz Quartett, Jay Jay Johnson, Gerry Mulligan, Sonny Rollins, Paul Quinichette, Art Pepper, Shorty Rogers, Horace Silver, Chet Baker, Bud Shank, Clifford Brown, Charlie Parker, Barney Kessel, Lou Donaldson, Art Farmer, Tal Farlow, Charles Mingus, Dizzy Gillespie, Phil Woods, Jackie McLean + Donald Byrd, Jazz Messengers

# Big Bands

Bennie Moton, Jimmie Lunceford, Fletcher Henderson, Chick Webb, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Harry James, Earl "Fatha" Hines, Count Basie, Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller, Bunny Berigan, Gene Krupa, Charlie Barnet, Erskine Hawkins, Lionel Hampton, Duke Ellington, Woody Herman, Stan Kenton, Shorty Rogers

# Vocalists

Boswell Sisters, Mills Brothers, Billie Holiday, Mildred Bailey, Ivie Anderson, Ella Fitzgerald, Andrews Sisters, Lena Horne, Anita O'Day, Billy Eckstine, Peggy Lee, Nat King Cole, June Christy, Frank Sinatra, Dinah Washington, Mel Tormé, Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Joe Williams, Billie Holiday

Edit: Added more info (price, etc.)

Edited by neveronfriday

I see more and more of these Membran collections. Great and cheap way to get music from the archives.

Their prices can't be beat!

If I still was in school, I would not bother on how much the individual CD cost but I'ld get started on these boxes :D

Maybe zweitausendeins will get their hands on this and apply a discount?  :D

JPC (the shop I linked to) usually has prices as cheap as 2001. So, no (real) chance there to get it cheaper than that, I think. Besides, I think CDRs are more expensive than the CDs in this box ... and that includes the book and the box!

well, if you can wait - the CD box that's supposed to accompany my book is supposed to be out by the Fall (though I can't swear by that) - will be 36 CDs covering 1900-1950.

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere (haven't found it). Allen, is there going to be a new edition of "American Pop: From Minstrel to Mojo" or is it just a new CD box for the "old" book?

I have the original edition plus the 9-CD set and I think it's a great idea to get an overview of American music.

Any other details about publisher etc. will be most welcome.

Fernando

• 24bit-96khz - High End Digital Mastering
    Nach der Überspielung der alten Aufnahmen (von Schellack, Vinyl, Band oder anderen Tonträgern) in unseren eigenen Studios auf die neueste 24bit-96khz Technik werden sie sorgfältig von Nebengeräuschen wie Rauschen und Knistern befreit um die beste Klangqualität zu erreichen. Das Ergebnis ist ein warmer und natürlicherer Klang als man ihn bisher von der CD kennt.

From what I've heard these CD's are sourced from downloaded MP3's. The college student that did them enlisted the help of his 13 year old brother. Oh well, it's pretty high quality for EU PD labels...enjoy. LMAO

Edited by wolff

my new set is actually different than the American Pop set - this new set goes with my semi-released book on Jazz history 1900-1950 -

on a different note I would be wary of all these collections coming out - there's so much bad info and mastering that I would want to sample them first -

For the serious collector, I don't think this box is really an option. But for someone who would like to get a huge sampling of jazz to play on his/her average stero setup (there are actually quite a few people who listen to stuff on their boom boxes or other run-of-the-mill machines ... I, for example, have a pretty decent stero, a PC with a half-decent sound setup and a crummy Sony portable in the kitchen) this box is a true bargain.

And, @wolff, LYAO every time these European thingies come along won't make them go away. And some of the stuff these folks have done sounds damn good. Sorry. :bwallace:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

On the one hand, it's ridiculous overkill. On the other hand, it's ridiculous overkill. On the third hand, maybe it is a way to fill in major gaps in a collection, such as early New Orleans jazz and Swing that I simply don't own or really seek out. I suspect it is the Nothing but the Blues set, the Cradle of Jazz set and From Swing to Bebop set (all 40 CDs each) stuck together with the duplication removed and half the Big Band set and 10-15 CDs of Bop material from the early 1950s. Their new "Original Longplay Albums" series generally does not look to be included.

It is hard to know how it sounds, probably been CEDARed. But I do have the Membran Astor Piazzolla set and that sounds fine, granted the material in the box is as much as forty to fifty years earlier. Of course, I've never been an audiofile either.

I'm not tempted now, but it's something I might get at some point.

Brownie - have you listened to any of them? Dubbed from LP?

Of the Membran releases I have only the 10CD boxes of Astor Piazzola (loved that one, discovered about all the music inside!), the Artie Shaw and the Duke Ellington.

The Shaw and the Ellington material obviously comes from the Chronological Classics releases. Sound is not really good (specially on the Ellington box but so were the Classics:). The boxes are in my car and are used for play-along-while driving!

At 9,99 euros ($12) a box, I will not complain...

Have not touched any of the other releases!

Edited by brownie