Mingus News

kh1958

From the Mingus website:

Limited edition release coming April 2006

Thu, Oct. 27 2005

The second release from SueMingusMusic/ Universal will be a Charles Mingus album from l965, originally issued as a limited edition on the Charles Mingus Enterprises label, and entitled "Music Written For Monterey, Not Played, Performed At UCLA 1965". It will be issued in April, 2006, for the first time on CD, with Mingus's cartoon ads, new photographs and up-dated liner notes.

Whoah! Great news! this recording is da shit, as they say! Great arrangments of great compositions, Julius Watkins... one of the best albums Mingus did, and truly a miracle why this is not readily available.

Should not be a limited edition! Should be spread as far as possible!

I'm wondering if the "limited edition" was a reference to the original lp release (which was also I belive REISSUED on lp).

Seems like both are limited editions, if I read the first post correctly.

The original LP release was on the Charles Mingus label. Very limited edition.

This was reissued - with the help of Fred Cohen of the Jazz Record Shop - on the East Coasting label as a double LP too. Limited edition again.

There was also an East Coasting EP, not sure if it was sold with the double LP.

The EP was this one:

http://webusers.siba.fi/~eonttone/mingus/details/ecep1.html

Signed by Sue Mingus?

The EP was issued as a bonus along with the LP reissue of the UCLA concert, which as I recall occurred subsequent to Mr. Mingus' death.

i'm happy to say that i have a signed copy of the ep from monterey!

i have a limited edition album signed by charles mingus of the monterey concert from the sixties.

Questions:

1. Will the EP be included as well?

2. What is the source for the remastering? Recall that the tapes were destroyed by Capitol, so the Fred Cohen reissue was from LP (so the EP must have already been issued before). Did they find a tape source, or will this CD be remastered from vinyl?

3. Will this really come out???

Bertrand.

There is a track from the 1965 Monterey performance on the Monterey Jazz Festival 4 CD anthology, so I would assume this was taped by the festival.

I do recall reading somewhere (years ago) that the source tapes subsequently (after the LP reissue) were located and had not been destroyed.

Questions:

1. Will the EP be included as well?

2. What is the source for the remastering?  Recall that the tapes were destroyed by Capitol, so the Fred Cohen reissue was from LP (so the EP must have already been issued before).  Did they find a tape source, or will this CD be remastered from vinyl?

3. Will this really come out???

Bertrand.

I chatted briefly with Fred Cohen on this issue last Summer and my understanding from him was that the master tapes had been lost/destroyed by Capitol's LA operation.

Fred still has copies of the 2LP reissue set for sale at the JRC (at least he did as of last Summer)

Fred's/Sue Mingus's reissue was taken from a 'mint' vinyl of the original Charles Mingus Enterprises, I believe.

Edited by sidewinder

Have the 80's (?) LP reissue. Hopefully the original tapes were found since I never found the recording/sound quality on this one to be all that great. Music is terrific though. Long overdue on CD. What has Revenge Records been up to lately... :w