Concertos

Late

To start, can anyone recommend a superlative recording of Bach's Concerto for Violin, Strings and Continuo in E major? I've heard it so many times, but don't actually own a recording of it. (The last version I heard, on the radio, was Hilary Hahn's — technically flawless, perhaps too fast, and somewhat emotionless, but if she's given some space and breathing room to mature ... she is, after all, only 27.)

All recommendations for Bach and Beethoven concertos especially welcome. Mendelssohn, too. I'm actually open to any recommendations for "must hear" concertos. This part of my classical collection is direly lacking, and these days that's where my ears are headed.

Thanks for your expert advice!

Just tongue-in-cheek with the "expert" tag. :P But, actually, this board knows its classical recordings.

Thanks for the recommendation, Tom. That's also one of the concertos I've been meaning to own. I've really only heard (or paid attention to) Jacqueline du Pré's version. Anyone care to comment on how they compare?

Here some that I enjoy.

Tchaikovsky - Violin Concerto - Stern/Ormandy - Sony

Bruch - Violin Concerto - Heifetz/Sargent - RCA

The 5 Beethoven Piano Concerts - Fleisher/Szell - Columbia

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No 1 & Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.2 - Van Cliburn/Kondrashin/Reiner - RCA

Brahms Piano Concert No.1 - Rubinstein/ Reiner - RCA

Chopin Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 - Rubinstein/Skrowaczewski/Wallenstein - RCA

Here some that I enjoy.

Tchaikovsky - Violin Concerto - Stern/Ormandy - Sony

Bruch - Violin Concerto - Heifetz/Sargent - RCA

The 5 Beethoven Piano Concerts - Fleisher/Szell - Columbia

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No 1 & Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.2 - Van Cliburn/Kondrashin/Reiner - RCA

Brahms Piano Concert No.1 - Rubinstein/ Reiner - RCA

Chopin Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 - Rubinstein/Skrowaczewski/Wallenstein - RCA

:tup What can I say---this list rules. :lol:

For the Beethoven concertos (can be had for $ 17.09 at CD Universe):

790326.jpg

... or Jos van Immerseel's version with Tafelmusik and Bruno Weil, which also has the Violin Concerto, but they're oop.

If you want to be surprised with Beethoven, try this stunning disc:

607493.jpg

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Strangely enough, Tower had a number of the discs you all listed, and for a little less than CDUniverse! I ordered the Bach disc with Andrew Manze, Richter's Brahms No.2, and Heifetz doing Brahms.

Clem, I do have some of the Kammermusik. It is indeed good stuff. :tup

A concerto performance that recently blew me away was Akiko Suwania playing Bruch's Violin Concerto. A truly beautiful performance, and every review I've read tends to rave. It's on Phillips, but I think it's out-of-print now. (My local library happens to have a copy.)

Also checked out for the first time Rostropovich on Dvorak's Cello Concerto. Stunning.

Still getting my ears around this stuff, but your recommendations have helped!

If a guy were to go the BMG route (on a concerto binge), what would you recommend from their offerings?

Mike-- I'll check Janus out; I'm always interested in period Chopin (& George Sand when she's not on her period, man some people get testy.) Have you heard his mazurkas/polonaise set?

If it's the other disc on Opus 111 you're talking about, yes. He's good and brings a certain "Polish" feeling to the music.

But the greatest Chopin solo piano disc I have is this one:

529200.jpg

Maybe a silly question, but have there ever been any concertos composed for string bass?

There's some Edgar Meyer stuff, but some "purists" might consider him a bit crossoverish.

Wikipedia has a decent list of concertos

If you want to try something "modern" and extremely wild :g , try Galina Ustvolskaya's Composition II for 8 double basses, drum and piano. She's really a piece of work...

I'm not familiar with Dumitrescu, because most of his recordings seem to be on CD-Rs that I never had the courage to buy. :blush:

Ustvolskaya's pretty out there, though, especially if you consider her age...not just on the basis of weirdness, but on the fury of her music (given the monicker "The Lady with the Hammer").

Late, this is a fantastic recording of a concerto usually considered hard to play: Artur Rubinstein playing the Brahms piano concerto #1, with Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony, from 1954. It's on RCA and is actually in stereo! I have the LP, but it is on CD. The stereo version was not released until the 70s, as Artur made a later recording of this piece, in the 60s. But go for the 1954 version.

Then, if you can find them, try the David Oistrakh versions of the Beethoven and Brahms violin concertos. (On EMI.) They will make your hair stand on end. Oistrakh was the man on the fiddle! We were playing one of these once, and my very young son and his friend were in the room playing. The recording just hypnotized the room and the kids were really drawn in by it. If music is good, it will get to people!