Danish Debut Records

sidewinder

I'm interested in learning a bit more about the Danish offshoot of Mingus/Roach's Debut records, which I believe existed from the mid 1950s through to the 1960s. I'm aware that Jimmy Knepper's 'The Masher' only appeared in original form on the Danish offshoot and that the whole thing was reputedly run on even less of a shoestring than the US operation.

Any background information welcome - also with regard to their releases of avant garde material from the likes of Cecil Taylor and Albert Ayler in the 1960s (no doubt these are rare?). Presumably this had nothing to do with the Mingus/Roach connection.

Thanks in advance :)

Here's a story of Debut Records (the US-Mingus/Roach-label) that includes the following sentence on the Danish off spring:

...Danish Debut, a fan-run label which had hooked up with Mingus without his realizing that it was as much a shoe-string operation as the American label was, if not more.

I did not even know the danish label had something to do with the Mingus/Roach one!

The only thing I have produced by/for Debut Denmark is the Feburary 24, 1964 Ayler date (with Call Cobbs, Henry Grimes and Sunny Murray), called "Goin' Home" in its Black Lion CD incarnation.

Alan Bates or maybe Barry McRae (both of whom wrote liner notes for Candid/Black Lion CD reissues) might know more, if anybody has a possibility to contact them.

ubu

Witches and Devils and Vibrations were also released on Debut after My Name is Albert Ayler. I had been thinking that the "First Sessions" lps had appeared on Debut, but I guess not. Those sessions are amazing! These first recordings are the ones that remind me of the 1964 Mingus in part.

Edited by jazzbo

Witches and Devils and Vibrations were also released on Debut after My Name is Albert Ayler. I had been thinking that the "First Sessions" lps had appeared on Debut, but I guess not. Those sessions are amazing! These first recordings are the ones that remind me of the 1964 Mingus in part.

I don't know about the First Sessions - I don't have them.

I might try to write Ayler records an email. Mayber somebody there is so kind as to provide some information on Debut DK.

ubu

One other one :- Cecil Taylor's 'Live At The Cafe Montmatre' with Jimmy Lyons and Arthur Murray was put out by Danish Debut as DEB 138. I assume that this was the first issue of this session?

As an aside, I have an old LP copy of the 'Jazz At Massey Hall' concert which turns out to be the Danish Debut issue. Approximate date is 1958/59. Cover sleeve design is nothing like the US Debut 12" LP (DEB 124).

Edited by sidewinder

Debut Denmark released some 50 albums before they went out of business.

Among the ones I have are:

- Cecil Taylor 'Live at Cafe Montmartre' Debut deb-138

- Albert Ayler 'My Name Is Albert Ayler' Debut deb-140

- The Contemporary Jazz Quartet feat. Sonny Murray 'Action' Debut deb-143

- Albert Ayler 'Ghosts' Debut deb-144

- Albert Ayler 'Spirits' Debut deb-146,

- Paul Bley 'Touching' Debut deb-147

- Cecil Taylor 'Nefertiti, the Beautiful One Has Come' Debut deb-148 (for the cover of that album the gracious Dutch artist Marte Roling ungraciously - and without asking for authorisation - used a photo I had taken of Cecil Taylor which had been published in a French jazz review)

Some others that Danish Debut released were:

- 131 Essen Jazz Festival (Coleman Hawkins-BudPowell-Oscar Pettiford-Kenny Clarke)

- 132 Oscar Pettiford 'My Little Cello'

- 136 Eric Dolphy in Europe (that came out elsewhere as 'Last Date')

- 137 Brew Moore in Europe (with Lars Gullin and Sahib Shihab)

- 139 Charles Mingus 'Chazz The Charles Mingus Quintet)

- 141 Sahib Shihab 'Sahib's Jazz Party'

- 142 Don Byas '30th Anniversary Album'

Here's a story of Debut Records (the US-Mingus/Roach-label) that includes the following sentence on the Danish off spring:

...Danish Debut, a fan-run label which had hooked up with Mingus without his realizing that it was as much a shoe-string operation as the American label was, if not more.

I did not even know the danish label had something to do with the Mingus/Roach one!

Nor did I. I knew of the Fantasy issues of the Essen, Taylor & My Name Is Ayler sides w/the Debut imprint, but had no idea that there was a "real" connection. Just figured it was a business deal with the name (if that makes any sense).

Anybody capable of elaborating?

Nor did I. I knew of the Fantasy issues of the Essen, Taylor & My Name Is Ayler sides w/the Debut imprint, but had no idea that there was a "real" connection. Just figured it was a business deal with the name (if that makes any sense).

Anybody capable of elaborating?

From what I understand Debut Denmark was independent from the US Debut label. It seems to have been a business exchange only.

When Debut Denmark folded, the business seems to have been taken over by Fontana from Holland. Fontana issued albums by Paul Bley, Marion Brown, the Jazz Composers Orchestra, Ted Curson, George Russell right after Debut folded.

And they reissued Albert Ayler's album 'Spirits' on Fontana!

Thanks for the list, Brownie. I recognise most of those Fontana titles as the ones which came out with the nice Marte Roling cover art. I think there's also the Dollar Brand 'Diary Of An African Village' as part of this grouping.

I have mixed feelings about Marte Roling. Not only did she 'borrow' one of my photos of Cecil Taylor for her cover sketch of the Debut album 'Nefertiti' but she deliberatedly used another one of my published photod of Marion Brown for her cover sketch of the Marion Brown's 'Juba-Lee' for Fontana. That one was an exact replica of a photo of Marion that accompanied one of my articles.

That said, I like her cover art.

It also happens that I met her before she started drawing covers for record albums. She was in Paris in the mid-sixties to do sketches at fashion shows for a daily newspaper. Either Amsterdam's De Telegraaf or The New York Times, don't recall for sure. She walked into the offices of the photo agency where I work to have several sketches transmitted to her newspaper. A very nice person!

Several months later I found she was doing those jazz record albums covers and borrowing from published photos to complete her job :angry:

Thanks for the insight, brownie.

Now BlackLion/1201music/DAmusic are involved with that stuff, too... rather chaotic, I must admit!

Dollar Brand's "Anatomy..." and another one were also on Blacklion CDs. Was all that Montmartre stuff on Debut first`? The Ben Websters, the Dexters?

ubu

The Webster, Gordon albums from the Montmartre first appeared on the Black Lion label.

I think the first albums that Debut Denmark released came from the Mingus-Roach Debut label. There were for instance:

Debut 120 - Miles Davis 'Blue Moods'

Debut 124 - Jazz at Massey Hall (the Quintet album)

The 'Jazz Albums Covers, The Rare and the Beautiful' book by Manek Daver that was published in Japan in 1994 (with cover by Gil Melle and foreword by Norman Granz, no less!) has several samples of the Danish Debut albums.

Not listed in my previous post are the following:

- three 7-inchers (all from Debut US material)

Debut 101 - Jimmy Knepper Quintet,

Debut 102 - The New Oscar Pettiford Sextet,

Debut 103 - Max Roach Quartet,

- plus these four Danish free jazz 12-inchers

Debut 133 - Bent Axden-Bent Jaedig 'Let's Keep the Message',

Debut 134 - Jorn Elniff 'Music for Mice and Men',

Debut 135 - Louis Hjulmand-Allan Botschinsky 'Blue Bros',

Debut 150 - Palle Mikkelborg 'The Mysterious Corona' (a 4-track stereo release)

Seems only recordings NOT bought by Fantasy were reissued on Black Lion, but not all of them (the stuff by lesser known Scandinavian musicians being the exceptions).

Lots of confusion here. Alan Bates (English record producer) bought the Debut catalog in the '60s. He had a deal with Fontana to issue his stuff. As mergers progressed the lps started to show up on Polydor along with original Bates recordings (Dexter, Webster, Bud, etc). Bates eventually consolidated his holdings as Black Lion and Freedom. In the early cd era he got in financial trouble and was forced to sell/forfeit the masters to a German outfit operating as DA Music. DA is currently leasing masters to something marketed as 1201 Music in the US.

Bates/Black Lion/Freedom did issue all the European sourced Fantasy issues and a bunch more.

Alan Bates managed to hold on to the Candid catalog and operates it today.

Seems only recordings NOT bought by Fantasy were reissued on Black Lion, but not all of them (the stuff by lesser known Scandinavian musicians being the exceptions).

Lots of confusion here. Alan Bates (English record producer) bought the Debut catalog in the '60s. He had a deal with Fontana to issue his stuff. As mergers progressed the lps started to show up on Polydor along with original Bates recordings (Dexter, Webster, Bud, etc). Bates eventually consolidated his holdings as Black Lion and Freedom. In the early cd era he got in financial trouble and was forced to sell/forfeit the masters to a German outfit operating as DA Music. DA is currently leasing masters to something marketed as 1201 Music in the US.

Bates/Black Lion/Freedom did issue all the European sourced Fantasy issues and a bunch more.

Alan Bates managed to hold on to the Candid catalog and operates it today.

Chuck, Bates did lease some Candid stuff, too, didn't he? German ZYX did produce Candid CDs, and more recently TIM/Past Perfect had (still has, actually) Candid CDs on the market.

Those 1201 releases show up here, too, but very expensive. They seem generally to be better remastered than DA's Black Lion CDs, no?

ubu

Clifford - do you have a working list of these sleeves which you can let us have - or do we have to wait for the final reckoning? I would be interested to see the list if you feel able to post it.

Well, I can post the list (numbers, anyway) when I have access to my home computer. However, we're still waiting on good scans of the Dewey Redman and Rod Levitt LPs before we post the pictorial discography online with, hopefully, a little more correct info on Ms. Roling and the whole bit. Any additions would, of course, be much appreciated.

C

Here are the titles for the Roling series... I'll post the link when it's all done.

Albert Ayler "Spirits" (unissued?)

Carla Bley-Mike Mantler "Jazz Realities"

Paul Bley "Touching"

Paul Bley "Blood"

Dollar Brand "Anatomy of a South African Village"

Marion Brown "Juba-Lee"

Ted Curson "Urge"

Ted Curson-Bill Barron "Tears for Dolphy"

Jazz Composers' Orchestra "Communication"

Rod Levitt "Dynamic Sound Patterns" (unissued?)

New York Art Quartet "Mohawk"

New York Contemporary Five "Consequences"

Dewey Redman "Look for the Black Star"

George Russell "The Outer View"

Archie Shepp-John Tchicai "Rufus"

Cecil Taylor "Nefertiti, the Beautiful One Has Come"

Any additons/corrections?

• 1 year later...

Marte Roling Fontanas

I realized I never posted the link to this... so here it is. Any more info would be greatly appreciated - the Spirits session is the most confusing: never seen an actual copy in this configuration, and its proposed catalog number is the same as that used for Ghosts (Debut/Fontana). Brownie, do you have a copy of the Marte Roling Spirits?

Admittedly found this old thread googling Danish Debut because I really want DEB-138!

That said, I don't want to pay $300 for it either, so probably will have to go without... (or, continue limping along on a Fantasy pressing)

Edited by clifford_thornton