Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some gospel 45s today. The best were:

Willie Morganfield - What is This/He Works That Way (Jewel). Nice Mississippi gospel from Muddy Waters' cousin.

Aretha Franklin - Precious Lord, parts 1 & 2 (Checker). Her voice hasn't quite matured, but this is still very impressive.

Blind Boys of Alabama - Something's Got Hold of Me/Hop, Skip and Jump; Our Revival Time/My God Can Do No Wrong (Gospel/Savoy). No wonder this group has lasted so long. These 1961 records are intense.

and the "sleeper":

Bro. Sammie Cheatam - Candidate for Heaven/Troubles of the World (Gospel Souvineer [sic]). I had forgotten what a fabulous little record this is. I did some Googling - this has been reissued a couple of times and has something of a reputation in the gospel world.

Edited by jeffcrom

Ira Sullivan (Flying Fish). Thanks to Chuck for reminding me of this album. I heard "That's Earl, Brother" on the radio years ago and decided I had to have this record, but I didn't have much money at the time and so didn't get it. But I picked up a copy today, and it's really good - maybe my new favorite Ira Sullivan.

Ira Sullivan (Flying Fish). Thanks to Chuck for reminding me of this album. I heard "That's Earl, Brother" on the radio years ago and decided I had to have this record, but I didn't have much money at the time and so didn't get it. But I picked up a copy today, and it's really good - maybe my new favorite Ira Sullivan.

Ira has repeatedly told me it is his favorite record. I have the 10 master tapes (2 inch, 24 tracks) in my basement. Maybe this year.

Harmonica Showcase: DeFord Bailey and D.H. "Bert" Bilbro 1927-31 (Matchbox). DeFord Bailey was a brilliant harmonica player - the first real star of the Grand Ole Opry, and one of the few African-Americans in that troupe. I love his stuff - "Pan American Blues" is one of the best "train tunes" ever, and "Evening Prayer Blues" is just other-worldly.

Bert Bilbro recorded exactly five tunes between 1928 and 1931, but he intrigues me for personal reasons. One of his tunes, "Chester Blues," was recorded in Charlotte, North Carolina in 1931. Charlotte is the nearest big city to Chester, South Carolina, where my late mom was from, and where I spent a lot of time as a child. Not much is known about Bilbro, but I'm thinking he must be from The City on the Hill, Chester.

Blues Singers and Trumpet Players (Joker) - A probably bootleg Italian LP. I'm enjoying the complete works (I think) of Texas blues singer Ben Norsingle from 1928, accompanied by New Orleans/Texas trumpeter Don Albert, along with piano, guitar, and a really good tuba player (Charlie Dixon).