• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

050401.jpg

:tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Buncha thumbs up on this one - one of the best of that Time-Life Series. For those who don't know, this is Frank Teschemacher's complete recorded output, plus a side of "possibles."

For me right now: Sonny Rollins - The Cutting Edge (Milestone) Montreux, 1974. Not considered to be one of his best, and it's not. But it's pretty good for this period, and I like it.

I bought Going Places by The Tijuana Brass when it was brand new in Nov. of '65. I'm sure I still have it in a box somewhere, but I haven't heard it in decades.

I've just now finished listening to it at lala (before it goes away the end of this month), and I was struck by what a workout the drummer went through. I never appreciated before how important he was to the band.

Buncha thumbs up on this one - one of the best of that Time-Life Series. For those who don't know, this is Frank Teschemacher's complete recorded output, plus a side of "possibles."

Unfortunately, my copy has seen better days, so I need to pull out some of

the special software that'll clean it up and save it from further wear and tear.

Unfortunately, my copy has seen better days, so I need to pull out some of

the special software that'll clean it up and save it from further wear and tear.

Sounds like you got the copy I had for years, until I found a reasonably-priced near-mint set.

I bought Going Places by The Tijuana Brass when it was brand new in Nov. of '65. I'm sure I still have it in a box somewhere, but I haven't heard it in decades.

I've just now finished listening to it at lala (before it goes away the end of this month), and I was struck by what a workout the drummer went through. I never appreciated before how important he was to the band.

"Goin' Places" was the first TJB album that was recorded with Herb's touring band. The previous 4 albums all used studio cats.

Also, I hope your copy is mono. The stereo sucks.

"Goin' Places" was the first TJB album that was recorded with Herb's touring band. The previous 4 albums all used studio cats.

Now that's odd, since Alpert ran the record company and could have used whatever musicians he wanted (I assume). Or was it that he didn't start touring until he had got four hit LPs under his belt?

MG

Now that's odd, since Alpert ran the record company and could have used whatever musicians he wanted (I assume). Or was it that he didn't start touring until he had got four hit LPs under his belt?

MG

Actually, I always thought it was fairly common for big name musicians to have separate touring bands. TJB started as a studio project, so that may have been a part of it. Maybe it took a while for the personnel to stabilize and for the band to fall into a consistent groove.

MG

Actually, I always thought it was fairly common for big name musicians to have separate touring bands. TJB started as a studio project, so that may have been a part of it. Maybe it took a while for the personnel to stabilize and for the band to fall into a consistent groove.

I agree - I'm sure that was normal practice. But most bandleaders weren't owners of record companies.

MG