Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-3314185-1325343619.jpeg

1968 studio date produced by Milt Gabler, w/Budd Johnson, Buck Clayton, Bill Pemberton, & Oliver Jackson.

Seems a little "reigned in" to me, but maybe in 1968 it was the kind of record they felt they(?) needed to make. Well, if it was, then they did. Any reservations I have would be about that.

That, and wtf kind of album title is that, anyway?

I have two lps in the "Father of Modern Jazz" box set with the same crew except for Buck, and they're possibly "reigned" in but it seems all want to play this way, with elegance and beauty. I love 'em!

1968 studio date produced by Milt Gabler, w/Budd Johnson, Buck Clayton, Bill Pemberton, & Oliver Jackson.

Seems a little "reigned in" to me, but maybe in 1968 it was the kind of record they felt they(?) needed to make. Well, if it was, then they did. Any reservations I have would be about that.

I have two lps in the "Father of Modern Jazz" box set with the same crew except for Buck, and they're possibly "reigned" in but it seems all want to play this way, with elegance and beauty. I love 'em!

Yeah, I mean, how do you not love those guys, right? I hear ya'. But on this particualr album, there's a few cuts where they loosen up and play...uh, looser, and the rest sound kind of..."produced", maybe with an eye towards radioplay. 1968 had to have been a weird time to make a major label record like this. I know it's unreasonable to look at Milt Gabler & a date like this in 1968 and expect a Commodore-type 1940 thing, but still...not a bad record at all, really, just would have preferred just a teence a bit more looseness overall.

What is this 5 record Hines set, btw? What label was it released on? Is it all live stuff? I might need to go a-huntin' for that one!

Yeah, I mean, how do you not love those guys, right? I hear ya'. But on this particualr album, there's a few cuts where they loosen up and play...uh, looser, and the rest sound kind of..."produced", maybe with an eye towards radioplay. 1968 had to have been a weird time to make a major label record like this. I know it's unreasonable to look at Milt Gabler & a date like this in 1968 and expect a Commodore-type 1940 thing, but still...not a bad record at all, really, just would have preferred just a teence a bit more looseness overall.

What is this 5 record Hines set, btw? What label was it released on? Is it all live stuff? I might need to go a-huntin' for that one!

MF Distribution. 3 LPs of solo, 2 quartet. I passed the damn thing up a million times for $10 at my old record store, fool that I am.

MF Distribution. 3 LPs of solo, 2 quartet. I passed the damn thing up a million times for $10 at my old record store, fool that I am.

Is this going to be one of those Holy Grail type finds these days?

Is this going to be one of those Holy Grail type finds these days?

Not that hard to find at 20 bucks or less. All studio. Excellent sound too. Great stuff!

$%28KGrHqR,!ogE8VZ780+PBPFjG2R+3w~~60_57.JPG

Edited by jazzbo

This morning

051095.jpg

The Caravans - Just like him - Vee-Jay (Fontana UK)

criss_sonny_portraito_101b.jpg

Sonny Criss - Portrait of - Prestige (Fantasy green label)

Then several hours of painting the back door and frames. Now relaxing (is it?) with

Charles-Mingus-Mingus-Dynasty-494062.jpg

Charles Mingus - Mingus dynasty - COlumbia (CBS UK)

before embarking on the front door frames and step, when the sun goes around the house.

MG

I'm fucking knackered! So, vinyl for the extremely knackered this evening.

bobo_willie_tomorrowi_101b.jpg

Willie Bobo - Tomorrow is here - Blue Note - an album distinguished by the complete absence of anything relating to Blue Note. I wonder if TTK has this. I like it, for those extremely knackered times.

next

3904406938434040_1.jpg

In case you left your magnifying glass at the office, this is

Salem Travellers - Heaven is my goal - Nashboro - smooth soul arrives in Church :)

MG