• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-1830543-1246306209.jpeg

R-1830543-1246306251.jpeg

R-1830543-1246306824.jpeg

Early 70s "spiritual jazz" doin' what early 70s "spiritual jazz" do, although with the people involved, it coulda done it a bit better. But good players don't always make great records. I like to put it on every few years just to see if I've missed a little something along the way. It gets a little better each time, but just a little.

I will say this, though, it's got all the surface trappings, so if you want some early 70s "spiritual jazz" ambient sound that won't distract you with too much actual substance, hey, here some is.

For the record, I have some other Buddy Terry sides that I like fairly well, so Buddy Terry himself is good with me. Seems like the kind of "local" guy who started from scratch and self-worked his way up the skills latter one step at a time, with the emphasis being on work, doesn't sound like anything really "came easy" to him. Those kind of guys are heroes of mine, the ones who just stay dedicated to playing and staying local and learning and keeping the faith and getting there no matter how hard it gets.

But this record just needs something extra that ain't there. Too bad.

This afternoon

206703.jpg

Charles Davis - Super 80 - Nilva

I feel like I've been listening to 'Hi fly' all bloody day. It was on the Philly Joe LP I played this morning, then on the Cannonball in San Francisco CD I played just after lunch, then on this!!!

0000589112_500.jpg

Lonesome Sundown - Been gone too long - Joliet (P-Vine)

albert_collins-don_t_lose_your_cool-front.jpg

Albert Collins - Don't lose your cool - Alligator (Sonet UK)

Interesting choices of material in both those LPs. COllins does Oscar Brown Jr's 'But I was cool' and Sundown does WIlliam Bell's 'You don't miss your water'.

Now

johnnylytleswinginatthegate-500x500.jpg

Johnny Lytle - Swingin' at the Gate - Pacific Jazz (bad runoff groove on side 2. Must catch it before the stylus hits the label!!!)

MG

hl7196.jpg086115.jpg

Modern Jazz Festival (Harmony). A very interesting 1957 collection, on Columbia's budget label - the record is molded plastic, not pressed vinyl. There are tracks by Joe Puma (with a very young Steve Lacy), Randy Weston, Paul Quinichette, Zoot Sims, Tony Scott, The Jazz Modes, and Mat Mathews.

Ralph Sutton - Piano Moods (Columbia 10")

hl7196.jpg086115.jpg

Modern Jazz Festival (Harmony). A very interesting 1957 collection, on Columbia's budget label - the record is molded plastic, not pressed vinyl. There are tracks by Joe Puma (with a very young Steve Lacy), Randy Weston, Paul Quinichette, Zoot Sims, Tony Scott, The Jazz Modes, and Mat Mathews.

Ralph Sutton - Piano Moods (Columbia 10")

Those "injection molded" lps were made of a very brittle plastic called styrene.

055760.jpg

Snooks Eaglin - Down Yonder (GNP Crescendo). Recorded at two sessions in 1977: Paul Secor's birthday and my birthday. Snooks had recorded R & B singles and blues albums to this point, but this was his first full-length New Orleans R & B album. Ellis Marsalis is on piano.