Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41905.jpg

Jazz of the Connecticut Traditional Jazz Club #11 (CTJC). The CTJC used to record their concerts and issue highlights on LPs - there are at least 18 of them. Some of the recordings have shown up on Jazz Crusade, but as far as I know, the tracks on this album aren't available anywhere else. Side one has five 1974 tracks by the Onward Brass Band, with Louis Cottrell, Frog Joseph, Teddy Riley, Danny Barker, etc. Side two is split between Clyde Bernhardt's Harlem Blues & Jazz Band and Gene Mayl's Dixieland Rhythm Kings.

I once passed on the volume that had outtakes of the sessions for Capt. John Handy's second RCA album, because of some slight concern over condition. I was an idiot.

tchicai-1024x1015.jpg

John Tchicai - Solo (FMP)

This is probably the most I've ever spent on one record, though to seasoned collectors the figure is a pittance ($30). I saw this at the Destination:Out FMP download store and was enticed. When I caught one on EBay I couldn't resist, and I'm sure glad I didn't! Love Tchcai, and he's in stunning form here. I may never get a chance to own more FMP vinyl; the CDs are hard enough to come by, so I'll cherish this one.

Edited by colinmce

tchicai-1024x1015.jpg

John Tchicai - Solo (FMP)

This is probably the most I've ever spent on one record, though to seasoned collectors the figure is a pittance ($30). I saw this at the Destination:Out FMP download store and was enticed. When I caught one on EBay I couldn't resist, and I'm sure glad I didn't! Love Tchcai, and he's in stunning form here. I may never get a chance to own more FMP vinyl; the CDs are hard enough to come by, so I'll cherish this one.

Great record, excellent score. $30 is not bad at all for that title. I've definitely still pulled FMPs for $10 or so, but a lot more have been significantly more expensive than that. The entire catalog is great.

41905.jpg

Jazz of the Connecticut Traditional Jazz Club #11 (CTJC). The CTJC used to record their concerts and issue highlights on LPs - there are at least 18 of them. Some of the recordings have shown up on Jazz Crusade, but as far as I know, the tracks on this album aren't available anywhere else. Side one has five 1974 tracks by the Onward Brass Band, with Louis Cottrell, Frog Joseph, Teddy Riley, Danny Barker, etc. Side two is split between Clyde Bernhardt's Harlem Blues & Jazz Band and Gene Mayl's Dixieland Rhythm Kings.

I once passed on the volume that had outtakes of the sessions for Capt. John Handy's second RCA album, because of some slight concern over condition. I was an idiot.

Certainly agree with your last paragraph. When it comes to old vinyl, although it's wonderful if they are in mint, or near-mint condition, that's not always possible, especially if the former collector actually played them. People didn't buy records to necessarily value them as collector's items. They bought them to be used and used the good ones were. If they were throwing a "get together," unless they were as fanatical about looking after their records as most of us now are, records were sometimes treated rather casually, not put back in their covers immediately, stacked without their covers until sometimes days later, etc. etc. etc. So, consequently, some records' covers especially, are, to put it nicely, battered and battle-scarred. But now, many of them are almost impossible to find and when I do find a rare album, unless the record has a bite out of it, or is unplayable, I still snap it up. If it does turn out to be really ratched, I may not play it, but I still keep it.

Eg. I have a Clifford Brown 10" album [Clifford Brown Ensemble featuring Zoot Sims Pacific Jazz Records, Vogue Production LDE 158 recorded in 1954], that the last cut, "Blueberry Hill" doesn't play at all. The cover seems to have been attacked by wild dogs and is in elegant tatters. I had to piece together the outside of the cover and tape almost the whole thing, or it would have fallen apart. It's still on my shelf and I still play it, with the exception of "Blueberry Hill".

Edited by patricia

Harry-Enfield-Loadsamoney-doin-55935.jpg

Loadsavinyl today :D

george-braith-musart-prestige-front.JPG

George Braith - Musart - Prestige

087920.jpg

Hank Crawford - Help me make it through the night - Kudu (Pye UK)

R-150-2977046-1310058414.jpeg

Rev Reuben WIllingham - I go to prepare a place - Nashboro - Mine does have a cover. The two pix on the web aren't legal JPGs, though.

51hhFYaoFmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Salem Travelers - Give me liberty or death - Checker

xknqfkkcc5nyxync.jpg

Sonny Stitt - Burnin' - Argo (DG mono)

One of the all time greatest sleeves!

51TQ%2B%2Bbgs-L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

The Consolers - Jesus brought joy - Savoy

$(KGrHqYOKiYE2qmM30IjBNweY2t88g~~_35.JPG

Willie Banks & the Messengers - Heaven must be a beautiful place - Peacock (Black label early ABC issue)

Breezin_GB.jpg

George Benson - Breezin' - WB (UK)

MG