What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

079005.jpg09992385362.jpg

Father and son:

Chico Freeman - The Outside Within (India Navigation)

Von Freeman - Doin' It Right Now (Atlantic)

I like the Atlantic album, although I agree with those who say that it's not the equal of the albums Chuck recorded. I listened to a couple of the Von's Nessa albums last night, but wasn't in the mood to post about it.

And MG, I heard first heard George and Von at the same time, on George's Delmark album Birth Sign.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12184.jpg

Charlie Parker - One Night In Chicago (Savoy). Still probably the best issue of a 1950 gig with some local heroes - Chris Anderson, Leroy Jackson, George Freeman, Bruz Freeman, and a tenor player who may or may not be Von Freeman.

Edited by jeffcrom

6126215653_337d057c27.jpg

I wonder if Charlie Shavers ever wondered why he didn't get a hit and a deal like Jonah Jones did.

Really, right time, right place, good player with total cred, Jonah Jones was. Pops & Louis Prima both were big, and Jones seems like he's splitting the difference between those two, commercial, totally, but not demeaning or anything. The man got himself a job, he knew what it was, and he did it well.

But I hear some of the stuff he plays on here and can't help but think that Charlie Shavers could have done it too, and I wonder whose decision it was to not see if that couldn't get done. Maybe Charlie Shavers willful intensity meter stopped one level above Jonah's, and maybe that made the difference.

the_jonah_jones_quartet-jumpin_with_jonah.jpg

Ok, I have two albums of this stuff. I think one is enough, but this one has Hank Jones and the other one doesn't. But the other one is less..."obvious". But it does not have Hank Jones. Ah, the perplexities of star power.

So I guess I keep both, especially they were both given by my wife's Aunt after her husband passed away because she knew that Bob would have wanted me to have them when he was gone.

8cgvh3woaveshvw8.jpgwatazumidos_mysteriou_101b.jpg040390.jpg

Fats Waller - "Fats" in London 1938-1939 (French EMI/Pathé). Poor transfers of some good music, not all of it jazz.

Watazumi Doso - The Mysterious Sounds of the Japanese Bamboo Flute (Everest). Unfortunate album title; the improvising by Watazumi is stunning.

The Lee Konitz Nonet (Roulette). The first album by this interesting group.

watazumidos_mysteriou_101b.jpg .

Watazumi Doso - The Mysterious Sounds of the Japanese Bamboo Flute (Everest). Unfortunate album title; the improvising by Watazumi is stunning.

I have that album too! Bought it in a college bookstore cutout bin...did Everest ever show up anywhere else?

Agree about the music as well. Stunning indeed.

And MG, I heard first heard George and Von at the same time, on George's Delmark album Birth Sign.

Oh yes - wasn't it you who put 'My ship' on a BFT?

I first heard George on 'Groove' with Les McCann, Groove Holmes & Ben Webster. Later with Ammons and McGriff. He popped up in lots of odd places on my map :)

Nice vinyl day today.

Eddie-Lockjaw-Davis-Hey-Lock-442606.jpg

Jaws - Hey Lock! - Roost (Vogue Pye UK)

Sonny_Clark_Leapin%C2%B4_And_Lopin%C2%B4.jpg

Sonny Clark - Leapin' & lopin' - BN (Pathe Marconi)

40430576_p.jpg

Don Patterson - Why not - Muse

rai6920.jpg

Lou Donaldson - Sunny side up - BN (King Japan)

Lonnie_Smith_Keep_on_Lovin_Cover.jpg

Lonnie Smith - Keep on loving - GM

MG

It was for changers, whre you could put a stack of records on the spindle and they'd drop down and play one at a time.. Then you could flip 'em over and play the other sides. So in a 3 record set, say, you'd have album 1 = Side A & F, Album 2 - sides B & E, Album 3 - Sides C & D .

To represent vertical, load like this

[TOP of stack]

C (w/D on reverse)

B (w/E on reverse)

A (w/F on reverse)

[bOTTOM OF STACK]

When Side C is over, you leave the stack intact, just flip it over, and then you have

[TOP of stack]

F

E

D

[bOTTOM OF STACK]

Voila, properly sequenced music with minimal exertion.

Also good or just putting on a bunch of unrelated LPs for several hours of uninterrupted play. Every notice how a lot of albums had one side stronger than the other? Well, yeah. Not accidental. Great for long parties of dancing, romancing, tripping, all sorts of things.

Record_changer_dscn1667a.jpg

Edited by JSngry

zzjazztimeusathebesto_101b.jpg

Jazztime U.S.A. (MCA). Sides two & three, which are, of course, both on record two. (See JSngry's explanation above.) This record has 1952-53 live recordings by Hot Lips Page with the Marian McPartland Trio, Mary Lou Williams, Oscar Pettiford on cello with the Billy Taylor Trio, Terry Gibbs, Coleman Hawkins, Stuff Smith, and more.

Hot Lips Page is one of those musicians who just makes me feel good. I thought of The Magnificent Goldberg when his tracks were playing. Are you a Page fan, MG?

hender_flet_firstlast_101b.jpg

Fletcher Henderson/Bill Harris/Sidney Bechet - First, Last & Only Concert From Kimball Hall, Otterburn - Flint, Michigan (Big Chief-Jerollomo)

There are actually two old threads (both started by chewy) about this album, which is actually a 1947 concert from Kimball Hall in Chicago, recorded by John Steiner.