Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5173.jpg

Clare Fischer - Easy living - Revelation (Jazz Workshop London)

My sleeve isn't anything like this one. Good job too; I might not have bought it seeing Clare looking so much like a pratt in that little beard :) He had better beards on Pacific Jazz. Maybe Bock was in charge of the barber shop.

I suppose you've got the same cover as I have:

b26732.jpg

Never seen a 'Jazz Workshop London' pressing of any other title. This has very heavy vinyl, but not too good sound.

Yes, that's the sleeve I've got. Couldn't find it yesterday. Sometimes the internet ain't your friend...

His worst beard must have been on 'Great White Hope', though:

27691.jpg

Actually, I like that sleeve very much. I like his beard on 'Thesaurus', too. But the one on 'Easy living' is totally wimpy.

Today's vinyl

davis_charl_super80~~_101b.jpg

Charles Davis - Super 80 - Nilva

0001696153_500.jpg

Original Five Blind Boys of Mississippi - Precious memories - Peacock (MCA)

109522207.jpg

Dave Bailey - 2 feet in the gutter - Epic

now

!B)PBnQQEWk~$(KGrHqQOKiYEw)rR8(h0BMMlpBkqYg~~_35.JPG

Various artists - Singing preachers and their congregations - Blues Classics

MG

Joe Sample 'Try Us' (Sonet, 1969) with J.C. Moses and Red Mitchell.

Huh - didn't know of this J.C. Moses appearance. Interesting.

He plays fine in this setting, although it is perhaps more conservative than some of his other appearances. I find Sample more enjoyable here than with the Jazz Crusaders; he gets opportunity to stretch out a bit.

Sound clip available here: http://www.recordmania.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=f4b7f0b55c1010629e7eb4923c71a818&query=joe+sample&ref=search_records

This is also available as a cheap CD reissue under the title 'Fancy Dance'.

Yeah, sounds like a nice record - not earth shaking, but not everything has to be.

I could never understand what was up with the Plain Talk jacket, by the way. So strange!

I could never understand what was up with the Plain Talk jacket, by the way. So strange!

Yes. It's probably the only BN sleeve which was IMPROVED when Applause issued it :D

I got my copy cheap (4 EUR) because someone has painted the cover all blue and then just written "Jimmy Smith, Plain Talk' with a white crayon!

Yes. It's probably the only BN sleeve which was IMPROVED when Applause issued it :D

I got my copy cheap (4 EUR) because someone has painted the cover all blue and then just written "Jimmy Smith, Plain Talk' with a white crayon!

Haha, one-of-a-kind!

51xw-MXww%2BL._AA300_.jpg

Wayne Shorter - Moto Grosso Feio (BN UA). I've always loved this album - it might be the Wayne Shorter album I would take to a desert island, even over Speak No Evil or Adam's Apple or the similar Odyssey of Iska.

Not played in a while so prompted to get it out. Probably not one for my desert island.

51xw-MXww%2BL._AA300_.jpg

Wayne Shorter - Moto Grosso Feio (BN UA). I've always loved this album - it might be the Wayne Shorter album I would take to a desert island, even over Speak No Evil or Adam's Apple or the similar Odyssey of Iska.

What's the draw for you here, Jeff?

Are you actually going to make me rationally defend my late-night enthusiasm for an album I originally bought on eight-track tape?

Okay - it's probably not really as good as it seemed to me last night. But I love the tunes, the atmosphere, and the great examples of Shorter's c. 1970 free style on "Antigua" and "Iska." I used to play "Montezuma" with a couple of bands - maybe I should dust that one off.

And I was heartbroken when that 8-track broke.

I used to play "Montezuma" with a couple of bands -

Hey, so did I!

Atmosphere, yeah, it's got that for sure. For me, Odyssey Of Iska has a lot more focus, but I can dig where you're coming from.

And I was heartbroken when that 8-track broke.

I felt the same way when my On The Corner 8-track bit the dust.

graastrend10.jpg

When my wife is out of town, I usually take at least one night to pull out the boxes of 45s and crank them up too loud. I just finished the jazz portion of the evening:

John Graas - French Horn Jazz, Volumes 1 & 2 (Trend EPs). Really wonderful music from 1953.

Bunky Green - By the Time I Get to Phoenix/Sweet Inspiration (MET). I've mentioned this before - a very mysterious single, produced by Paul Serrano and not listed in any discography that I've seen.

Ken Colyer - Ken Colyer's Jazz Men (Storyville)

Louis Armstrong - The Beat Generation/Someday You'll Be Sorry (MGM)

Louis Armstrong - Someday You'll Be Sorry/I Still Get Jealous (Kapp)

On to blues and R & B!