What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Peter Burman's 'Jazz Tete a Tete' (UK Columbia Lansdowne series, mono)

Johnny+Scott+-+Peter+Burman%27s+Jazz+T%E

With Shake Keane, Johnny Scott, Pat Smythe, Alan Clare. Signed by Mr Burman on the back.

Wow, I've not seen that cover for more than 50 years..

Interesting, John. Certainly not one you see around too much on LP. The Trunk site has it on mp3 I think.

Forgot to mention that there are also some Ray Premru Group tracks on there too. Interesting to hear Shake Keane outside the 'Harriott' context. I think this recording was done around the same time that the Harriott group were recording 'Abstract'.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 55.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jimmy Lyons & Andrew Cyrille - Something In Return (Black Saint)

very close to the top of my 'to buy' list. Is it as good as I suspect it is?

Yes, it's absolutely wonderful. I was lucky to score all of Lyons' Black Saint LPs as a lot on eBay some years back. They're all very strong, but this one and Nuba (with Cyrille and Jeanne Lee) are the best of the lot. It really is almost like a CT Unit with everyone else stripped away.

Well, OK, maybe circa '66, less so the unrelenting late 70s stuff.

Jimmy Lyons & Andrew Cyrille - Something In Return (Black Saint)

very close to the top of my 'to buy' list. Is it as good as I suspect it is?

Yes, it's absolutely wonderful. I was lucky to score all of Lyons' Black Saint LPs as a lot on eBay some years back. They're all very strong, but this one and Nuba (with Cyrille and Jeanne Lee) are the best of the lot. It really is almost like a CT Unit with everyone else stripped away.

Well, OK, maybe circa '66, less so the unrelenting late 70s stuff.

Thanks, that description of CT Unit strpped away does it for me. I'll definitely be on the hunt. I know Nuba and like that a lot

Theo Jorgensmann quartett - Straightout! [euroPhon]

Edited by mjazzg

Gonz (Jerry Bergonzi, Bruce Gertz & Bob Gullotti) - Front End (Not Fat Records).

A great sax trio LP. I really like this and can recommend it highly. Bruce Gertz still has a stash of a bunch of his LP dates with Gonz so if you can swing it, grab it while he's still willing to ship them out. :)

Partial LP cover:

220737230069.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

51MDBiSzakL._SY300_.jpg

Charlie Poole with the Highlanders - The Complete Paramount & Brunswick Recordings, 1929 (Tompkins Square). Columbia wouldn't go along with Poole's desire to expand the North Carolina Ramblers by adding piano and a second fiddle, so he jumped ship and formed the Highlanders. Musically, these recordings justify his ideas; the larger band sounds magnificent. Commercially, Columbia was right - the Highlanders records didn't sell well.

$T2eC16F,!%29EE9s2ufG,VBRl9,jKz+!~~60_12

Artie Shaw and His Gramercy Five - Sequence in Music (Verve). With the orange and yellow label, as shown. This was apparently only used in Verve's 2000 series, which seemed to be designed to have wider pop appeal than their hard-core jazz issues. The orange label was later replaced by a blue one. In any case, this is an excellent album; Tal Farlow and Hank Jones on board.

georgelewis466992.jpg

George Lewis - At Dixieland Hall (Nobility). A really nice late (1965) George Lewis album. Louis Nelson is one of my favorite New Orleans trombonists, and the relatively modern Joshua Willis sounds very good - almost like a three-way cross between Bobby Hackett, Dizzy Gillespie, and Bunk Johnson. Lewis is not as strong as in his younger days, but is in fairly good form. I like it.