What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

R-2552545-1290103962.jpeg

Marc Levin Ensemble, Songs Dances And Prayers. Band includes Calo Scott and Billy Hart, plus Khalil Balakrishna on sitar.

I'd love to hear that and even better get my hands on a copy. Been waiting a while for one to turn up that's in half decent condition

With sitar and vocals on a few tracks, you would think this would stray into hippie territory, but it's a very good record. Levin is a unique performer, Jay Clayton has a nice voice, plus Calo Scott is a monster on cello. My pressing sounds just fine.

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

first spin for

Malus - Wooley/Corsano/Antunes [No Business]

You know, it occurs to me that LP2 of "All the Magic!" is Bowie doing solo trumpet, but using overdubs and some extended techniques, to get various effects Quite marvelous and truly avant. It would make a happy comparison with the Wooley LP. I've seen Nate do that solo amplified trumpet a number of times, never fails to awe, real virtuoso stuff.

first spin for

Malus - Wooley/Corsano/Antunes [No Business]

You know, it occurs to me that LP2 of "All the Magic!" is Bowie doing solo trumpet, but using overdubs and some extended techniques, to get various effects Quite marvelous and truly avant. It would make a happy comparison with the Wooley LP. I've seen Nate do that solo amplified trumpet a number of times, never fails to awe, real virtuoso stuff.

Funnily Wooley's playing on Malus called Bowie to my mind. He plays with a very open brassiness that I've not really heard him use elsewhere and because of the the trio setting his playing is very prominent. I was checking the price of copies of 'All the Magic' after listening to the Wooley and after it's recent postings here

119974091_-rapport-ran-blake-anthony-bra

RAPPORT - Ran Blake (p), solos, duos with Ricky Ford (ts), one with Anthony Braxton (as), plus one track Chris Connor (vocals), Jerome Thomas (g), Rufus Reid (b), and a duo with Eleni Odoni (vocals). Novus LP.

blakebreakthru.jpg

BREAKTHRU - Ran Blake (solo piano). Improvising Artists LP.

Haven't listed to any Ran Blake in quite a while. Can't say I really "get" him yet. Of the pair above, I like the solo disc more than the one with various groupings. I have a few others on the shelf I'll try to get to.

Phil Woods - Song For Sisyphus (Century Records). "RECORDED DIRECT-TO-DISC"!! Still doesn't sound all that great. :) It probably has something to do with it being recorded in 1978, a year when it seems that many bass players felt the need to make their instrument sound like a manic bumble bee. It suffers noticeably in comparison to the previous record, which was recorded with a nice, warm bass sound.

philwoods_songforsisyphus.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

119974091_-rapport-ran-blake-anthony-bra

RAPPORT - Ran Blake (p), solos, duos with Ricky Ford (ts), one with Anthony Braxton (as), plus one track Chris Connor (vocals), Jerome Thomas (g), Rufus Reid (b), and a duo with Eleni Odoni (vocals). Novus LP.

blakebreakthru.jpg

BREAKTHRU - Ran Blake (solo piano). Improvising Artists LP.

Haven't listed to any Ran Blake in quite a while. Can't say I really "get" him yet. Of the pair above, I like the solo disc more than the one with various groupings. I have a few others on the shelf I'll try to get to.

Nice. Ran is truly a hero of mine, and his music is one of my passions. I have nearly every record he's done, save a couple of the Soul Notes. I like the IAI session, but prefer his others from this time on Horo and Owl. Rapport is a nice little primer on his world and has some of his most sprightly playing (keeping in mind who we're dealing with here!)

"There's too much light in the world" -Ran

One aspect of Ran Blake's playing that didn't really become apparent to me until I heard him in person - he may be the piano's greatest virtuoso of the sustain pedal. I'm not making a joke or being sarcastic. He can depress the pedal precisely where he wants, and coordinate it with his fingers, in order to get a wide range of colors and effects. It's kind of amazing.

037196.jpg

Annette Peacock - Been in the Streets Too Long (Ironic). Bill Bruford, Chris Spedding, Pete LaRoca, and Evan Parker show up on various tracks.

Later: A long instrumental version of "So Hard, It Hurts," recording in 1975 with a bunch of British fusion guys (Bruford, Spedding, Brian Godding, and Steve Cook), is very cool - Ms. Peacock has got them playing out-and-out free jazz.

Edited by jeffcrom

Sonic Youth "daydream nation" (blast first, UK) have not played this in over 20 years! Brings me back to my youth...listened to so much music like this in the late 80s into the early 90s.

The Group "feedback" (RCA/Schema, Italy). Brand new reissue...a quality job! Very happy to have this after bidding obscene amounts of money(unsuccessfully) on the few times originals have shown up on eBay...

And now:

Tomasz Stanko "jazz message from Poland" (JG, Germany)...a very nice album...Stanko is a player I enjoy no matter what the era...from his work with Komeda to his last ECM CD..he's one of my favorites. This one is from the early 70s...not quite as amazing as his Calig album from the same vintage, but still very good.

Tomasz Stanko "jazz message from Poland" (JG, Germany)...a very nice album...Stanko is a player I enjoy no matter what the era...from his work with Komeda to his last ECM CD..he's one of my favorites. This one is from the early 70s...not quite as amazing as his Calig album from the same vintage, but still very good.

Count me as another Stanko's fan. :tup

115294051.jpg

Gil Evans - There Comes a Time (RCA). If anyone out there doesn't like this, I totally get it. It's dense, noisy, "dated," and all over the place. It came out in 1976, and I didn't think it was anything I would want to hear. But a couple of years later, I was reading European jazz magazines in my college library, and this showed up on the 1976 top ten list of the jazz writer I admire above all others, Max Harrison. That got my attention, and I bought a copy soon afterwards. In the years since, this album has been one of those bodies of music which, like King Oliver's 1923 recordings, keep revealing more and more on repeated listenings - there are layers on top of layers here, and on any one listening, you can shift your attention from one layer to another, and keep finding amazing things.

It must have been a nightmare to mix.

There has been a CD reissue with extra material, overdubs (layers) removed, and edits restored. I like that one too, but I prefer the original. In addition to the multi-layered complexity of the music, you get amazing solos by Billy Harper, George Adams, Lew Soloff (uncredited as a soloist), and Dave Sanborn - his stunningly intense playing on "King Porter Stomp" is the only solo by him I would take to a desert island.

Mine is probably a minority opinion, but this is as good as anything Gil Evans ever did.