• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hear that title will be presented next year in the music matters 33rpm reissue series in mono..can't wait for that! That series has been really excellent so far and it's nice to hear some of these titles in pristine/quiet condition. Nothing annoys me more then spending 3 figures on an original blue note only to hear some crackles and pops..even if there's only a few..

116546347.jpg

Onward Brass Band - Last Journey of a Jazzman (Nobility). In January, 1965 Cosimo Matassa carried a "portable" 50-pound tape recorder for miles in the rain to record the great Onward Brass Band playing the funeral of pianist Lester Santiago. The recordings were issued on two Nobility LPs - unfortunately marred by overdubbed narration by A. Grayson Clark, the owner of Dixieland Hall (a long-gone rival of Preservation Hall) and Nobility Records. Clark felt it necessary to "explain" the proceedings. I played some of the hymns and dirges from the first disc and endured the narration, but really enjoyed the fourth side, which has the second-line numbers the band played after they left the cemetery. Clark introduces the side, then shuts up and gets out of the way.

I hear that title will be presented next year in the music matters 33rpm reissue series in mono..can't wait for that! That series has been really excellent so far and it's nice to hear some of these titles in pristine/quiet condition. Nothing annoys me more then spending 3 figures on an original blue note only to hear some crackles and pops..even if there's only a few..

I don't know if I'm going to continue with this series. They press at RTI and I've had 3 out of ten records with noticeable dish warp and in my last shipment, Kenny Drew's "Undercurrent" has a glob of some gooey stuff on one side. After a nightmarish return sequence with my copy of Tina Brooks' "True Blue", I haven't even tried returning this.

I had to return 2 titles so far but only bought 7 thus far. Both were for some tics and pops but I haven't had any with warps? Maybe I've just been lucky.

I've just 3 and found them to be perfect, although they can come out of shrink wrap with odd dusk marks and even finger prints. Nothing I can't clean off.

I don't know if I'm going to continue with this series. They press at RTI and I've had 3 out of ten records with noticeable dish warp and in my last shipment, Kenny Drew's "Undercurrent" has a glob of some gooey stuff on one side. After a nightmarish return sequence with my copy of Tina Brooks' "True Blue", I haven't even tried returning this.

I got the full set of the 45rpms as a subscriber and stopped when they finished that series. I'm happy to leave it at that. One can have too much of a good thing - and that includes Blue Notes.

The_All_Seeing_Eye.jpg

Wayne Shorter--------The All seeing eye---------(BN Liberty)

A non RVG mastering if the runout is to be believed but it sounds stunning in this edition and a significant upgrade to my RVG CD.

That's good to hear. I was only looking at purchasing a vinyl copy this morning.

My copy has blue/ white labels rather than the later blue/black. Having said that I've no idea how many different pressings there are of this title.

Never heard of that Bill Russo lp? What's it like?

The rendell/Carr "live" lp is fantastic.,.have a mint stereo copy myself.

Pretty good - as is another one in this series called 'Stonehenge'. Both quite rare - and you can hear where Kenny Wheeler got some of his arranging influences.

Rendell/Carr 'Live' is an excellent LP. Also lucky enough to have a mint copy. Notable participants in the invited studio 'audience' were John Le Mesurier and 'Alf Garnett' of TV fame.