What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Huh. Have not heard that Shandar album...what's it like? Two classical guitars?

Acoustic and electric guitar duets. Incredible, intertwined minimal folk/classicism. Pretty sure it was on Jim O'Rourke's radar in the 1990s (or shoulda been).

I've had it a couple times, if I find it again I'll let you know.

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished

eddielockjawdavies-heylock2.JPG

Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis - Hey Lock! - Roost (Vogue UK)

Twofer includes 'Goodies from Davis' the 10" LP with his first exploits as leader of an organ combo and what I think is the full session with Doc Bagby at Birdland in 1954 with Sonny Stitt guesting on quite a lot. Smashing stuff!

MG

milt+jackson+-+soul.jpg

Milt Jackson - Plenty, Plenty Soul (Atlantic black label mono). First time hearing this one in nearly 20 years - I lost it in the divorce way back when. (She was crazy, but I've got to respect her for appreciating Bags.) I've been looking for a decent, affordable copy of this for some time, and found it today.

Just love this set. The mono UK London Atlantic edition sounds excellent too.

Just finished

eddielockjawdavies-heylock2.JPG

Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis - Hey Lock! - Roost (Vogue UK)

Twofer includes 'Goodies from Davis' the 10" LP with his first exploits as leader of an organ combo and what I think is the full session with Doc Bagby at Birdland in 1954 with Sonny Stitt guesting on quite a lot. Smashing stuff!

MG

That 'Vogue Jazz Doubles' series was a a good one. Have quite a few of them. They also came out with a great 3LP 'Complete Paris Collection' by Clifford Brown.

Paps has been listening to some good classical vinyl lately!

Indeed. :tup

A little while ago I suddenly found myself digging through what was left of my dad's once large collection. A lot of his vinyl is in excellent condition, I must say. Some are 30 to 40 years old with nary a pop to be heard. Some unopened!

And there's a vinyl shop a few blocks from my house that has a growing selection of both jazz and classical.

I've found, though, that amazon sellers tend to know the condition of their vinyl a lot better than the two stores I've visited here and in Tampa, where I think they often just visually inspect the vinyl and basically mark most everything VG whether they've listened to it or not.

Also, since embarking on the vinyl frontier, I've found a mom and pop store in my neighborhood that sells fairly high-end stereo equipment. Guy seems to know his stuff and has some really nice Pro-Ject tables, drool-wrothy tube amps, etc. I have a Pioneer plug and play turntable with built in pre-amp now, but am inevitably going to upgrade soon, probably to the Pro-Ject table.

NP:

$(KGrHqQOKp0FJg8,l+LEBSc(H)siv!~~60_12.J

Edited by papsrus

Guy Warren "the African sounds of" (fiesta, USA). A surprise find today for $10 in pretty nice shape on my first visit to a local record store in maybe half a year. A Denis Preston Lansdowne production with Amancio D'Silva, Dick Heckstall-Smith, etc released in the USA on this seemingly budget label entitled "Fiesta". Anyway a nice companion to his "Afro Jazz" LP.