• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finishing

600x600.jpg

Gene Ammons - Nice & cool/The soulful sound of - Moodsville (Prestige twofer)

next

going to listen to 'Stone flower' from this

FatsTheus_BlackOut.jpg

Fats Theus - Black out - CTI (with Grant Green)

then the same tune from

cover_756151632010.jpg

Santana - Caravanserai - Columbia

then

f46e416c4b42dea8dc8453725834c9a1.jpg

Houston Person - The nearness of you - Muse

MG

R-1786668-1243267512.jpg

Trios by Company (Incus). The record collecting bug is strange. This afternoon, for some reason, I became obsessed with trying to track down some of the Company recordings on my want list. It was a fun hunt, but at one point I asked myself, "Why don't you just play some of the Company recordings that you have, dumbass?"

So I'm playing this one, and enjoying it.

And it amuses me greatly that there is a musician who has recorded with Company, The Shaking Ray Levis, and The Band. So I guess that's tonight's trivia question.

R-1786668-1243267512.jpg

Trios by Company (Incus). The record collecting bug is strange. This afternoon, for some reason, I became obsessed with trying to track down some of the Company recordings on my want list. It was a fun hunt, but at one point I asked myself, "Why don't you just play some of the Company recordings that you have, dumbass?"

And it amuses me greatly that there is a musician who has recorded with Company, The Shaking Ray Levis, and The Band. So I guess that's tonight's trivia question.

J.D. Parran! Does he play with a King Crimson vet on this one?

R-1786668-1243267512.jpg

We have a winner! And yes, he plays with Mr. Muir on this record.

R-1786668-1243267512.jpg

For me this is one of the more compelling Company titles along with the "epiphanies" 2LP.

Broke in my daughters new turntable in tonight with Jackie Macs right now mono ny usa; tommy turrentines time record; sonny stitts the hard swing on the trumpeter logo label, Mingus' jazz portraits on UA stereo, Stitt n gonsalves salt n pepper on impulse stereo n mjq/ milt Jackson quintet on prestige w50th label

a3949417406_2.jpg

Jamison Williams - Disney Classics, Vol. VI (Vantage Bulletin). Okay, this is weird. Jamison Williams is a Florida avant-garde saxophonist who is seemingly obsessed with all things Disney. This is the sixth extremely-limited-edition 7" record of solo soprano sax deconstructions of Disney songs he has put out. Each one is hand-lathed and comes with a "read-along storybook," as shown here. This one has "A Spoonful of Sugar" on one side and "When You Wish Upon a Star" on the other.

I also bought a similar limited-edition cassette (with storybook) of two duets with Dan Kozac: "Zip a Dee Doo Day" and "The Bare Necessities." The package (which arrived today) was full of all sorts of freebies, including several CDrs and another cassette.

It's all intriguing and fascinating, but I need to do some further listening to decided how good it actually is.

Edited by jeffcrom

R-1786668-1243267512.jpg

For me this is one of the more compelling Company titles along with the "epiphanies" 2LP.

I have a lot of the Company records but not that one. I'll track one down.

Stockhausen "from the seven days" (DG, Germany 7LP box) I played two records last night, and am just midway through a third. I bought this a few years back but am only now trying to go through the entire thing. There's a ton of great music on here with most members of New Phonic Art present(Michel Portal and JF Jenny Clark being the big "jazz" names).

This simply suffers from "box set syndrome"...so much music & so little time!

Dharma quintet "end starting" (SFP, France). A recent acquisition; killer electric piano battling acid guitar over a free jazz rhythm section...pretty frikken awesome!

Nice, just got a rip of that one. Usually when they come up for sale they're hammered!

Stockhausen "from the seven days" (DG, Germany 7LP box) I played two records last night, and am just midway through a third. I bought this a few years back but am only now trying to go through the entire thing. There's a ton of great music on here with most members of New Phonic Art present(Michel Portal and JF Jenny Clark being the big "jazz" names).

This simply suffers from "box set syndrome"...so much music & so little time!

I love that set. Got a fairly affordable copy quite a while back.

a3949417406_2.jpg

Jamison Williams - Disney Classics, Vol. VI (Vantage Bulletin). Okay, this is weird. Jamison Williams is a Florida avant-garde saxophonist who is seemingly obsessed with all things Disney. This is the sixth extremely-limited-edition 7" record of solo soprano sax deconstructions of Disney songs he has put out. Each one is hand-lathed and comes with a "read-along storybook," as shown here. This one has "A Spoonful of Sugar" on one side and "When You Wish Upon a Star" on the other.

I also bought a similar limited-edition cassette (with storybook) of two duets with Dan Kozac: "Zip a Dee Doo Day" and "The Bare Necessities." The package (which arrived today) was full of all sorts of freebies, including several CDrs and another cassette.

It's all intriguing and fascinating, but I need to do some further listening to decided how good it actually is.

What next? Batman? Holy smoke!!! :D

Organissimo is a WONDERFUL place!!!!!

MG

a3949417406_2.jpg

I find that whole idea oddly intriguing and tempting. I don't know why but maybe because it harks back to early childhood music/book packages, some great tunes and combuines that with a cottage-industry/craftsman, self production ethos.

I'd love to hear and see one in the flesh

a3949417406_2.jpg

I find that whole idea oddly intriguing and tempting. I don't know why but maybe because it harks back to early childhood music/book packages, some great tunes and combuines that with a cottage-industry/craftsman, self production ethos.

Do you know this:

Hal-Willner-Stay-Awake-Album.jpg

Brilliant (though high production) set of completely varied Disney interpretations.

Imagine the Disney songbook up to the late 60s played by the houseband on Pinocchio's Pleasure Island. A rather disturbing listen.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

a3949417406_2.jpg

Do you know this:

Brilliant (though high production) set of completely varied Disney interpretations.

Imagine the Disney songbook up to the late 60s played by the houseband on Pinocchio's Pleasure Island. A rather disturbing listen.

No I don't but I'll look it up. There's the Sun Ra Disney on Leo Records too

a3949417406_2.jpg

Do you know this:

No I don't but I'll look it up. There's the Sun Ra Disney on Leo Records too

The Tom Waits version of "Heigh-Ho" on Stay Awake is very cool, and is one of my wife's favorite recordings.

Yes, Jamison Williams' Disney efforts have an appealing, do-it-yourself quality to them. And the covers all have Disney illustrations which have been disturbingly altered, as in the cover above, which features Snow White scrubbing a blood-stained Dopey.