• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis 'Potpourri' (Philly International)

Thad-Jones-Potpourri-425320.jpg

Did you get a clean-ish copy of this? If so, is it an American pressing?

Over the last few years, I've gone through three looking for one that's not making popcorn while the music plays and have pretty much given up.

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis 'Potpourri' (Philly International)

Thad-Jones-Potpourri-425320.jpg

Did you get a clean-ish copy of this? If so, is it an American pressing?

Over the last few years, I've gone through three looking for one that's not making popcorn while the music plays and have pretty much given up.

Bought mine used in the seventies (American pressing) and it's fine.

Mine is a UK pressing, which I think was put out by UK CBS. Gave it a good listen cranked up and the sonics are absolutely excellent, with low noise floor.

A very under-rated Thad & Mel album IMO.

Quite underrated, indeed!

I guess I need to keep looking for a clean pressing.

New arrival on the doorstep today...

Jerome Sabbagh - The Turn (Bee Jazz Records)

Jerome Sabbagh - Tenor sax

Ben Monder - Guitar

Joe Martin - Bass

Ted Poor - Drums

Interesting story on this purchase. When mastering engineer Doug Sax died a few weeks back, one of the comments on his website was from Jerome, thanking Doug for doing such a great job on his record. I went and listened to some samples, liked what I heard and contacted Jerome to see if I could purchase a copy. He said, "Sure thing" and now here I am listening to this wonderful recording of a band that is clearly having some fun. The drummer is a bit overly fond of rock accents but I like it. You can hear a sample here: http://sunnysidezone.com/album/the-turn. I contacted Jerome through his kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1834848136/jerome-sabbagh-the-turn-vinyl-limited-edition.

0003468458_10.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Right. Didn't remember it was mentioned on the back cover.

I'm still wondering why they selected a performance without Ali as documentation. Around the same time, Ali was releasing records on his own Survival label.; fine duos with Leroy Jenkins and Frank Lowe, but no Cyrille or Graves...

My uncle attended at least one of the concerts with Ali and said it was excellent. Perhaps there was just no usable recording.

New arrival on the doorstep today...

Jerome Sabbagh - The Turn (Bee Jazz Records)

Jerome Sabbagh - Tenor sax

Ben Monder - Guitar

Joe Martin - Bass

Ted Poor - Drums

Interesting story on this purchase. When mastering engineer Doug Sax died a few weeks back, one of the comments on his website was from Jerome, thanking Doug for doing such a great job on his record. I went and listened to some samples, liked what I heard and contacted Jerome to see if I could purchase a copy. He said, "Sure thing" and now here I am listening to this wonderful recording of a band that is clearly having some fun. The drummer is a bit overly fond of rock accents but I like it. You can hear a sample here: http://sunnysidezone.com/album/the-turn. I contacted Jerome through his kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1834848136/jerome-sabbagh-the-turn-vinyl-limited-edition.

0003468458_10.jpg

Kevin, I don't have The Turn (yet!), but the two other recordings by this band -- North (FSNT) and Pogo (Sunnyside) -- are both excellent too.

Right. Didn't remember it was mentioned on the back cover.

I'm still wondering why they selected a performance without Ali as documentation. Around the same time, Ali was releasing records on his own Survival label.; fine duos with Leroy Jenkins and Frank Lowe, but no Cyrille or Graves...

My uncle attended at least one of the concerts with Ali and said it was excellent. Perhaps there was just no usable recording. Damn yr uncle was hip!

I used to have this album but I never really got into it that much. I did keep "Babi Music" though which is totally killer and of similiar vintage.

Edited by Homefromtheforest