• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Linn tonearm on my Lenco GL75. It's largely used for 78s. Otherwise my system comes from Japan, England , Canada, Sweden, Switzerland & China. All works together beautifully .

NP

Bill Perkins----- Just Friends-----( Pacific Jpn) King reissue.

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

I have a Linn tonearm on my Lenco GL75. It's largely used for 78s. Otherwise my system comes from Japan, England , Canada, Sweden, Switzerland & China. All works together beautifully .

NP

Bill Perkins----- Just Friends-----( Pacific Jpn) King reissue.

I don't know if the Perkins title was an intended comment (I assume so) on the varied sources of your system, but it gave me a laugh.

AFSD5924.JPG

Louis Armstrong - Louie and the Dukes of Dixieland (Audio Fidelity). Yeah, I know. But hear me out. This 1960 album is stunningly recorded. (Editing is not as good - I can hear some splices.) And Louis plays (and sings) magnificently - on a higher plane than most of the All Stars dates from this era. And the repertoire is interesting and challenging - not the same old same old All Stars tunes.

I know that the Dukes of Dixieland were a "funny hat" (or "ridiculous jacket," in this case), lightweight Dixieland band. But the core of the band was from New Orleans, and they always had more of a real New Orleans thing going on than similar bands from outside of Louisiana. I've always had a little bit of a soft spot for them. Here, they seem to know that they were being given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and they rise to the occasion to the best of their abilities. In the case of the Dukes' trumpeter, Frank Assunto, this might be his best moment on record. With his idol standing next to him in the studio, there's no clowning from Assunto, just spectacular trumpet playing - he's really impressive here.

An added bonus is hearing Armstrong playing beautiful second trumpet to Assunto in a couple of spots, notably on "Avalon." Rich Matteson, the virtuoso tuba player, is also very impressive here, and has a couple of very non-dixieland-ish solos.

I'd forgotten how good this album is. I won't forget again.

22 hours ago, Clunky said:

Just Scottish, English and Japanese for me. Have decided new cart definitely now needed (ouch) plus a tune up/fettling and service for the Scottish gizmo by my trusted guru so it's CDs only now for a few weeks plus bread and jam for meals. Should be awesome once it's back though !

Edited by sidewinder

48 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Just Scottish, English and Japanese for me. Have decided new cart definitely now needed (ouch) plus a tune up/fettling and service for the Scottish gizmo by my trusted guru so it's CDs only now for a few weeks plus bread and jam for meals. Should be awesome once it's back though !

I'll put in a good word here for my Dynavector XX-2 cartridge. I noticed a huge improvement over a cheaper MC of theirs ( I forget the name).

NP 

Bradford/Gjerstad ------The Delaware River------(NoBusiness)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e8/Live_at_the_Village_Vanguard_(Dizzy_Gillespie_album).jpg   http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51B5XDRMP4L.jpg   http://hardbop.pagesperso-orange.fr/Maini/Joe%20Maini/bluesandvanilla.jpg   http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51otnDolRML._SX355_.jpg

Dizzy Gillespie - Live at the Village Vanguard (Solid State)

Paul Bley & Scorpio (Milestone)

Jack Montrose - Blues and Vanilla (RCA Victor)

Tony Parenti - Ragtime (Jazzology)

I enjoyed all of these, but none more than the Parenti - what a great album. Side one features a seven-piece band (with Wild Bill Davison, Danny Barker, and Baby Dodds); side two is by a clarinet/piano/drums trio. Most of the tunes are classic rags, beautifully played, and getting looser and jazzier as they progress.

Yoshi Wada - Off the Wall - (Saltern reissue)

great-sounding reissue from the tapes by Wada's son. Used to have the original on FMP/SAJ, but traded it to a friend who'd hooked me up with a bunch of ridiculous jazz LPs. Felt okay letting go of the original - considering - but am glad to be able to have this music on deck again.

Sidney bechet inedits   vol. 1

Sidney Bechet - Inedits Volume 1 (1939) (Nec Plus Ultra). Recordings made in Fonda, NY by Bechet enthusiast John Reid. Bechet leads a quartet with Sonny White on piano and Kenny Clarke on drums. Supposedly, Reid used these acetates to convince RCA to give Bechet the recording contract which led to that incredible Victor series. I could be wrong, but I don't think there was ever a Volume 2.