What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Coming up on deck a bit later - Max Roach ‘Members Don’t Git Weary’ mono reissue on Arc Records and ‘Joy’ by the UK 70s band Joy on Cadillac Records (a welcome reissue).

I am bemused as to why the Arc reissue of Yusef Lateef ‘Detroit’ is nearly twice the price of the Roach and is IMO a lesser session. A case of the better it is, the less you pay.

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I've never got my head around that series of comps. Mind you, I haven't tried that hard. Are there complete albums represented or a number of albums chopped across the reissues?

The original albums are re-sequenced across the different volumes. I think everything is there; it's just re-arranged.  I wish the producers hadn't done that.  But the music is so irresistible that I just roll with it.

40 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

The original albums are re-sequenced across the different volumes. I think everything is there; it's just re-arranged.  I wish the producers hadn't done that.  But the music is so irresistible that I just roll with it.

Thanks, not ideal as you say. The completest in me would demand that if I bought one I would have to buy all three 🙃

47 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Coming up on deck a bit later - Max Roach ‘Members Don’t Git Weary’ mono reissue on Arc Records and ‘Joy’ by the UK 70s band Joy on Cadillac Records (a welcome reissue).

I am bemused as to why the Arc reissue of Yusef Lateef ‘Detroit’ is nearly twice the price of the Roach and is IMO a lesser session. A case of the better it is, the less you pay.

Maybe because the Lateef was RSD so has to have that premium priced in to make it attractive on that day (cynicism alert)

9 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks, not ideal as you say. The completest in me would demand that if I bought one I would have to buy all three 🙃

Maybe because the Lateef was RSD so has to have that premium priced in to make it attractive on that day (cynicism alert)

Yes, I suspect you are correct. Having said that, I like their reissues, the Shirley Scott was good. 

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Oh, I understand that way of thinking, for sure.  It doesn't make sense, but it makes complete sense.

One note: There are actually four volumes in the series.  I have three (so far), but I intend to get the fourth eventually to make my "set" complete!  :P 

a0574535829_10.jpg

Jason Adasiewicsz - Roy's World [Corbett v Dempsey, 2023]

Great to have a new album from JA, it's been too long. Although this was actually recorded in 2017 so isn't new work. I'd love to hear some new music from him, he played brilliantly with Brotzmann earlier this year.

This is typical of the music played by his Chicago generation, unsurprisingly given the band includes Abrams and Berman (with Hamid Drake representing the older generation). Great writing and playing. Saxophonist Jonathan Doyle is the only new name to me

IMG-4313.jpg

Wow! What a great release this is. Amazing to to hear these tunes live with Dolphy. Dolphy’s flute is a bit far in the mix but part from that sound is pretty good.

The vinyl on the other hand…. Man they should be ashamed of themselves asking 40 euros for this. Both records warped, paper scuffed because of the paper sleeves and a very thin sleeve that comes already with ringwear when it’s fresh from the factory. They sell them anyway of course….

1 minute ago, Pim said:

IMG-4313.jpg

Wow! What a great release this is. Amazing to to hear these tunes live with Dolphy. Dolphy’s flute is a bit far in the mix but part from that sound is pretty good.

The vinyl on the other hand…. Man they should be ashamed of themselves asking 40 euros for this. Both records warped, paper scuffed because of the paper sleeves and a very thin sleeve that comes already with ringwear when it’s fresh from the factory. They sell them anyway of course….

Literally just ordered a copy in the last 5 minutes having streamed it several times. Shame about the production issues but that's vinyl life 😃

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Literally just ordered a copy in the last 5 minutes having streamed it several times. Shame about the production issues but that's vinyl life 😃

Yeah well it differs so much per label/company. I'd say that Sam, Pure Pleasure and Acoustic Sounds mostly bring out top quality. 

1 hour ago, Pim said:

IMG-4313.jpg

On another board, some people went through five or six copies before giving up.... I'm happy w the cd

1 hour ago, Niko said:

On another board, some people went through five or six copies before giving up.... I'm happy w the cd

Yeah I could see why. In these cases the cd is probably the best option. All of these returns must be a pricey thing but apparently still profitable?

1 hour ago, Niko said:

The CD will do for me. Audio is, I hear, more bootleg than audiophile, although more than acceptable.

Max-Roach-sqaure_grande.jpg?v=1689089738

Arc mono version. Initial play of the vinyl had some annoying swishing noise, seems to have been resolved with VPI treatment.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, Pim said:

Yeah I could see why. In these cases the cd is probably the best option. All of these returns must be a pricey thing but apparently still profitable?

Guess many copies go to people who don't play their records or become Birthday/Christmas presents which makes returns a hassle...

4 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-4313.jpg

Same old story with a lot of these "audiophile vinyl" releases .... at least a shame, but likely also a rip-off ....

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

Same old story with a lot of these "audiophile vinyl" releases .... at least a shame, but likely also a rip-off ....

I find modern vinyl reissues with a few exceptions to be a waste of good money. I have 70 year old 10” records that sound better than some of the latest remastered reissues . 

1 hour ago, adh1907 said:

I find modern vinyl reissues with a few exceptions to be a waste of good money. I have 70 year old 10” records that sound better than some of the latest remastered reissues . 

Sort of makes me glad that I don't have a turntable anymore.