Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, optatio said:

Bop Fathers front (Copy).jpg

IMG_20230725_0005_stitch (Copy).jpg

Ahh I see you have a different edition  👍😁

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The Giants Of Jazz

somehow I never could find this. It was for a short time on a mainstream label called Concorde or so, but I never saw it again. I would like to have it since I heard that they play more Monk tunes here. Strange that on the cover photos all musicians seem to be photographed during that time 1972, but the monk photo seems to be much older. As much as I remember, Monk with the Giants didn´t wear a hat anymore. But he still plays in a very creative manner and seemed to respond enthusiastically to Diz composition "Tour de Force" and "Woody´n You". 

Have also  2 or 3 more  from this group on CD / CDr but here is the  sond quality not as good as on the  vinyls.

43361353pf.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
more pics

11 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Ahh I see you have a different edition  👍😁

Have also  2 or 3 more  from this group on CD / CDr but here is the  sond quality not as good as on the  vinyls.

43361353pf.jpg

Oh, the Belgrade live set I must have, also for the Dizzy quintet stuff. 

I had seen the green album "Tour de Force" in a record shop but didn´t buy it since I had some doubts about it: First, in 1969, that George Wein All Star "Giants of Jazz" did not exist, it was a band from the early 70s. And Al Gafa belongs more into another context, he is a leading voice on let´s say "Bahia", Dizzy´s Latin album from the 70´s . The Title "Kush" is a later Diz composition and I don´t think that it was on  the "Giants of Jazz" set list. 

18 hours ago, optatio said:

Bop Fathers front (Copy).jpg

IMG_20230725_0005_stitch (Copy).jpg

I have this also, it was in the record store somewhere in the late 70´s or so, or early 80´s . I have it also on USB for listening in the car and I love it. 
All those tunes are great and it´s wonderfully recorded (I really play it loud to hear Blakey´s drums). 
But nobody knows when it was recorded. 

14 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-4323.jpg

10 euro’s at amazon…. Now that’s almost what RVG cds used to cost. So it is possible….

One of my very favourite BN albums of the 60´s . I like all those really powerful modern stuff albums they did in that decade, let´s say Wayne Shorter´s "All Seeing Eye", Don Cherry´s "Complete Communion", McCoy Tyner´s album with Joe Henderson, and so on. 

I never listen to the more easy listening albums they also made, and all those different more obscure organ players that followed after Jimmy Smith´s leaving the label.

The only organ I can stand is Larry Young´s , he does not play that typical "Hammond Sound", he plays modal jazz and plays with the guys, the heavy guys like Sam Rivers, Woody Shaw, Joe Henderson and above all Elvin Jones. 

51 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh, the Belgrade live set I must have, also for the Dizzy quintet stuff. 

I had seen the green album "Tour de Force" in a record shop but didn´t buy it since I had some doubts about it: First, in 1969, that George Wein All Star "Giants of Jazz" did not exist, it was a band from the early 70s. And Al Gafa belongs more into another context, he is a leading voice on let´s say "Bahia", Dizzy´s Latin album from the 70´s . The Title "Kush" is a later Diz composition and I don´t think that it was on  the "Giants of Jazz" set list. 

I have this also, it was in the record store somewhere in the late 70´s or so, or early 80´s . I have it also on USB for listening in the car and I love it. 
All those tunes are great and it´s wonderfully recorded (I really play it loud to hear Blakey´s drums). 
But nobody knows when it was recorded. 

bop fathers
[G1765-15] 
Bop Fathers, Vol. 1 & 2: 
Dizzy Gillespie (tp,p-1) Kai Winding (tb) Sonny Stitt (as,ts) Thelonious Monk (p) Al McKibbon (b) Art Blakey (d) 
Concert "Sala Grande del Conservatorio Giuseppe Verdi", Milan, Italy, October 20, 1971
    I mean you    Orizzonte (It)ORL8252, LPPS1114, Joker(It)ULS141/2
    'Round midnight             -             -              -
    Tour de force             -             -              -
    Tin tin deo (1)             -             -              -
    Lover man (*)                                          -
    Woody'n you (*)                                          -
    Don't blame me (*)                                          -
    A night in Tunisia                                          -
Note: Information on the record sleeve gives date incorrectly as Paris, France, October 22, 1971.
Joker (It)ULS141/2 titled "Bop Fathers, Vol. 1 & 2".
(*) These 3 titles also on Moon (It)CD006 [CD] titled "Stars of Bop - Tour De Force"; see November 19, 1974 for rest of CD.
All above titles also on Gambit (And)69301 [CD] titled "Dizzy Gillespie and Thelonious Monk with The Giants of Jazz, Unissued in Europe 1971"; see October 29 & November 7, 1971 for rest of CD.

For a session from November 2, 1971 see Dizzy Gillespie.

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

bop fathers
[G1765-15] 
Bop Fathers, Vol. 1 & 2: 
Dizzy Gillespie (tp,p-1) Kai Winding (tb) Sonny Stitt (as,ts) Thelonious Monk (p) Al McKibbon (b) Art Blakey (d) 
Concert "Sala Grande del Conservatorio Giuseppe Verdi", Milan, Italy, October 20, 1971
    I mean you    Orizzonte (It)ORL8252, LPPS1114, Joker(It)ULS141/2
    'Round midnight             -             -              -
    Tour de force             -             -              -
    Tin tin deo (1)             -             -              -
    Lover man (*)                                          -
    Woody'n you (*)                                          -
    Don't blame me (*)                                          -
    A night in Tunisia                                          -
Note: Information on the record sleeve gives date incorrectly as Paris, France, October 22, 1971.
Joker (It)ULS141/2 titled "Bop Fathers, Vol. 1 & 2".
(*) These 3 titles also on Moon (It)CD006 [CD] titled "Stars of Bop - Tour De Force"; see November 19, 1974 for rest of CD.
All above titles also on Gambit (And)69301 [CD] titled "Dizzy Gillespie and Thelonious Monk with The Giants of Jazz, Unissued in Europe 1971"; see October 29 & November 7, 1971 for rest of CD.

For a session from November 2, 1971 see Dizzy Gillespie.

Thank you for your help ! 

yeah, I've proofread the notes for a few of Lander's comps. They're all quite fascinating musically and the notes themselves are a real education!

Re: Lovens, saw him twice -- once with the Schlippenbach Trio and once with 2X3=5 (Parker/Guy/Lytton/Lovens/Schlippenbach). Both concerts were amazing.

Most of my Schlippenbach experiences have been with Lytton or as a solo pianist, but the OG Trio is really on another level.

On 7/22/2023 at 3:11 PM, Pim said:

IMG-4313.jpg

Wow! What a great release this is. Amazing to to hear these tunes live with Dolphy. Dolphy’s flute is a bit far in the mix but part from that sound is pretty good.

The vinyl on the other hand…. Man they should be ashamed of themselves asking 40 euros for this. Both records warped, paper scuffed because of the paper sleeves and a very thin sleeve that comes already with ringwear when it’s fresh from the factory. They sell them anyway of course….

First listen to my LP copy. No warp but so far pressing fault causing 4 loud pops on first track and similar on side 2.

Certainly looks like quality control were on holiday.

What with all the reports of the CD not playing I think streaming is the safest option for this one.

The music is great and I don't mind the SQ, it's like being there

IMG-4344.jpg

my last Third Man pressing. Paper scuffs , distortion on the trumpet and harmonium. Cheap and thin cardboard sleeve. I’ve been warned but fell for it anyway. And they dare to ask a Tone Poet price for it: 43 euros. Will probably return this and pay a little more for an other pressing.

Edited by Pim

2 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-4344.jpg

my last Third Man pressing. Paper scuffs , distortion on the trumpet and harmonium. Cheap and thin cardboard sleeve. I’ve been warned but fell for it anyway. And they dare to ask a Tone Poet price for it: 43 euros. Will probably return this and pay a little more for an other pressing.

I had a copy of that one in my hand the other day and in the end I backed off because it looked cheaply made. £35 as well so full Tone Poet pricing. In the end I went for the Belgian Jazz 2LP set and glad that I did. Tone Poet this series isn’t.