What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Another recent retrieval from a shop's bargain bin:

20240106-211743.jpg

Blakey, Diz, Monk, et al - The Giants of Jazz (Atlantic, 2 LPs)

The album cover is tatty (both top seams are blown out), but the vinyl is in NM condition and plays beautifully, especially since I've given the discs a few spins on my RCM.

I've heard this music before via streaming services, but (as usual) it sounds much better coming from my stereo -- both musically speaking and AQ-wise.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

My5qcGVn.jpeg

Stanley Turrentine - In the Pocket (Fantasy, 1975)

A recent dollar bin find.  The strings & voices on this album, arranged by Gene Page, give the music a 70-soundtrack vibe.  It's soul-jazz with a definite emphasis on the soul side.  Regardless of the low-ish jazz quotient, I think the music is terrific. It accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do, and Stanley sounds great. 

Yep .... definitely better than the review from Robert Christgau would suggest 🤡 ....

United Artists LAX 3138 [Japan] - "Down Home Reunion - Young Men From Memphis" - rec. N.Y. 1959- Engineer: Lewis Merritt

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

20240106-211743.jpg

The album cover is tatty (both top seams are blown out), but the vinyl is in NM condition and plays beautifully, especially since I've given the discs a few spins on my RCM.

I've heard this music before via streaming services, but (as usual) it sounds much better coming from my stereo -- both musically speaking and AQ-wise.

There exists a series of of recordings of this group's european tour. All excellent.

Have the above Item too.

20240106-211743.jpg

I didn´t have the LP , but I´m still pissed of that I was not there when they played Viena in 1972. It´s a drag that I became interested in jazz only a few month later and had missed that. 

Two guys who were 4-5 years older saw it, saw Monk while I, one of Monk´s biggest fans, missed it. 
At Vienna Dizzy was missing, he was replaced by Cat Anderson and Clark Terry.  

I had to go to concerts from 1973 on and saw Miles that year, but it still took 2 or 3 years that I could sneak into a jazz club though underage.....

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

20240106-211743.jpg

👍 - also on my shelf!

'Miles - His New Quintet' (Esquire)

57 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Sonny Rollins - East Broadway Run Down [Impulse, UK 1976 RE]

A big album in my early Jazz listening. I'm never sure these days how successful it is but it sounds good today

Those 1975/76 UK Impulse releases were good. Put out through 'Anchor Records' I think - I bought a number of them at the time. Although the vinyl was UK, the sleeves were imported from the US.

Edited by sidewinder

23 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Turning the heat up, it's cold today

Primary

Milford Graves - Children Of The Forest [Black Editions, 2023]

one of the albums of last year

I've succumbed and just order this, damn you......

52 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Sonny Rollins - East Broadway Run Down [Impulse, UK 1976 RE]

A big album in my early Jazz listening. I'm never sure these days how successful it is but it sounds good today

It got made and continues to intrigue. Success in itself! 

I wonder what's still in the can...Freddie Hubbard said that Sonny stopped his ,,{Hubbard's) best solos because they were too Trane-ish. So, we know that there COULD be more material in the archive. 

51 minutes ago, Clunky said:

I've succumbed and just order this, damn you......

😂 you'll not be disappointed, I'm sure...

44 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It got made and continues to intrigue. Success in itself! 

I wonder what's still in the can...Freddie Hubbard said that Sonny stopped his ,,{Hubbard's) best solos because they were too Trane-ish. So, we know that there COULD be more material in the archive. 

That is interesting. I often feel like it sounds as if Sonny is the least comfortable of the group with the music. Not that he doesn't make interesting contributions.

58 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

'Miles - His New Quintet' (Esquire)

Those 1975/76 UK Impulse releases were good. Put out through 'Anchor Records' I think - I bought a number of them at the time. Although the vinyl was UK, the sleeves were imported from the US.

£3.50 from Mole according to the sticker, would've been '82 or so

16 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

My5qcGVn.jpeg

Stanley Turrentine - In the Pocket (Fantasy, 1975)

A recent dollar bin find.  The strings & voices on this album, arranged by Gene Page, give the music a 70-soundtrack vibe.  It's soul-jazz with a definite emphasis on the soul side.  Regardless of the low-ish jazz quotient, I think the music is terrific. It accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do, and Stanley sounds great. 

I agree. Those Fantasy's are commercial concoctions, but there is something about how Turrentine appears to play along with all the cliches only to twist suddenly go in his own direction, sometimes by no more than an interestingly placed note, that I really enjoy.

IMG-5470.jpg

still have mixed feelings about it this record. It contains some of my favorite Cannonball (the title track is amazing). The very average and cliche guitarist Mike Deasy spoils some of the tracks with his boring rock n roll playing. If he was not there that night this would have been one of Cannonballs best live dates. I still love it for all the tracks without Deasy. Cannonball surely had some soul!

1 hour ago, Pim said:

IMG-5470.jpg

still have mixed feelings about it this record. It contains some of my favorite Cannonball (the title track is amazing). The very average and cliche guitarist Mike Deasy spoils some of the tracks with his boring rock n roll playing. If he was not there that night this would have been one of Cannonballs best live dates. I still love it for all the tracks without Deasy. Cannonball surely had some soul!

This could be trimmed down to a totally awesome single CD.

But sometimes I want to just wade through all the mess just because it's a Cannonball mess. Especially with the spoken intros. 

But yes, when I cull to one degree or another, Deasy goes first. Always. 

57 minutes ago, JSngry said:

But sometimes I want to just wade through all the mess just because it's a Cannonball mess. Especially with the spoken intros. 

Yes it’s a lovely ride. That deep voice and the funny things he’s sayin: makes you want to be right there in that club. I must say I don’t skip those tracks with Deasy either. Except for Benny Hen which is just silly.