What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

13 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

You are right. All those Savoy albums (I think others like the Charlie Parker album) had similar covers and I think I picked up some of them during my "learning years" as a teenie. They all are great and I think that they were the foundation for my understanding of bop. All of ´em, the Dexter sides, the J.J. Johnson, Fats Navarro, Mr. B and the Band, Lester Young. 

The only downer for me with those old studio records was or is, that you don´t hear the drummer recorded properly. 
I understood more of what Bird and Co are doing when I heard live albums like "One Night at Birdland" where you hear Art Blakey really loud, and it makes you to understand the music much better if you hear what the drummer does. 
I mean Savoy had them all, Max Roach, Kenny Clark, Shadow Wilson, Art Blakey and who was there, but you don´t HEAR them. I think someone recommended to me the Black Lion Byas Album "Anthropology" where you hear the band better. 

I have a 10” Savoy of Parker and the drumming on KoKo is stunning and loud. Other versions I have heard, including on CD, seem to mute them. 

Turning Point- Lonnie Smith, Blue Note.

Not that keen when I first bought it, but the groove is growing on me.  The trio tracks seem to work best.

Good to see that Ed Love who wrote the sleeve notes is apparently still working in Detroit as a DJ at 91

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

45698617rf.jpg

46918215zl.jpg

45698619ll.jpg

I have the Roost material on CD but I think it has another cover and more stuff, I think the first tracks still have Miles Davis on tp, and later it was Kenny Dorham. 

I like very much those live sessions where you hear all the soloists, not "only" the Bird solos. 

And those Symphony Sid announcements , when we few jazz fanatics at high school heard those records, each of us had wished to get into a time machine to be there "diggin´ the gonest sounds of those wonderful guys and have a lot of musical fun until four in the morning......." . 

Sure, what counted most was the music, but still "half kids" we just did our own little play imitating that radio voice and that "ladies and genullmen" . It wen´t that way : "Let´s play Symphony Sid". 

IMG-5535.jpg

IMG-5536.jpg

I became aware of this Hubbard record trough this forum so thanks guys. Big Hubbard, Henderson and Hutch fan but never noticed it for the almost 20 years I am listening to jazz now. But better late than never. Damn I wish I was there. 

4 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-5535.jpg

IMG-5536.jpg

I became aware of this Hubbard record trough this forum so thanks guys. Big Hubbard, Henderson and Hutch fan but never noticed it for the almost 20 years I am listening to jazz now. But better late than never. Damn I wish I was there. 

Fwiw, there were two more LPs issues from this same gig. All three are of equally high quality! 

16 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-5535.jpg

IMG-5536.jpg

Red Clay was was a favourite of mine 50 years ago and has been since then. But is this another record, I have thought on Red Clay is Lennie White on drums and Herbie Hancock on piano, if I remember right. 

The Group Billy Childs, Joe Henderson and Hutch was later, right ? Just got "Keystone Bop" the two CDs this Chrismas and it´s fantastic. 

So, is this another album I don´t have ? 

22 hours ago, JSngry said:

Fwiw, there were two more LPs issues from this same gig. All three are of equally high quality! 

All ordered at the same time with this but thanks 🙏 one is still on its way and the other arrived yesterday.

22 hours ago, soulpope said:

Great platter .... and title track feat some of  Billy Harper's very best solo work ....

Oh yeah it’s great! Love the little solo saxophone piece as well. I am unable to pick a true favorite out of this Harper period but if I’d really had to it probably be Knowledge of Self. 

IMG-5540.jpg

Since 2014 we’ve got our own vinyl dealer here in the town of Heemskerk (pop. 40.000). Always happy to support him I decided to bring him a stack of cds to sell ( some Foo Fighters, RHCP, Deftones, Neil Young and more). I still listen to those guys but Spotify is enough for me with the music that I listen to sporadically. He was happy with them. Then I started digging trough the 3 jazz crates he has. Mostly there’s nothing in it which isn’t very strange for such a small shop. Then I started digging trough the crates and stumbled on this 1975 Italian pressing. As I wanted to pay he told me to leave that and gave it for free. Extremely happy with it. He warned me about Italian pressing's from the 1970’s: they were like Italian cars from the same era. Lovely to look at but crappy quality but it sounds fine. So does my Italian Prestige Pressing of Gary Bartz recording I’ve Known Rivers 

Edited by Pim

36 minutes ago, Pim said:

Oh yeah it’s great! Love the little solo saxophone piece as well. I am unable to pick a true favorite out of this Harper period but if I’d really had to it probably be Knowledge of Self. 

"Knowledge Of Self" also a testament for the capabilities of rather unsung bassplayer Greg Maker .... btw "art director" Reggie Workman could give some input how to record a bass appropriately for sure 😎 ....

Interesting Sunday afternoon exercise comparing two versions of the Miles Davis 'Miles' LP on Prestige - the first full session on that label with Coltrane.

Esquire pressing - nice and crisp, Paul Chambers and Philly Jo Jones more prominent.

US Bergenfield issue (2nd press) - still good but seems a bit 'muddier' and Chambers/Philly Jo not quite so distinct.

Verdict - the Esquire has the edge I think. 

3 hours ago, Pim said:

All ordered at the same time with this but thanks 🙏 one is still on its way and the other arrived yesterday.

IMG-5540.jpg

Since 2014 we’ve got our own vinyl dealer here in the town of Heemskerk (pop. 40.000). Always happy to support him I decided to bring him a stack of cds to sell ( some Foo Fighters, RHCP, Deftones, Neil Young and more). I still listen to those guys but Spotify is enough for me with the music that I listen to sporadically. He was happy with them. Then I started digging trough the 3 jazz crates he has. Mostly there’s nothing in it which isn’t very strange for such a small shop. Then I started digging trough the crates and stumbled on this 1975 Italian pressing. As I wanted to pay he told me to leave that and gave it for free. Extremely happy with it. He warned me about Italian pressing's from the 1970’s: they were like Italian cars from the same era. Lovely to look at but crappy quality but it sounds fine. So does my Italian Prestige Pressing of Gary Bartz recording I’ve Known Rivers 

Lancia rustbuckets !

Reminds me of a 70s Italian pressing of Miles' 'Sorcerer' I bought back then, at a time when it was difficult to get hold of in the UK. Very crackly but nice sonics in terms of overall sound.

Pat Martino 'East!' (Prestige, purple label). Kindly signed on the front for me by Pat.