Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMG-5575.jpg

The final combo for this day. Will leave coming Thursday for a 2 day trip to Ieper, Belgium with our graduating classes. So a Belgian classic beer, a book on WWI plus some Wayne Shorter in the background. What a horrible war that was. Hope it will make my students realize they grow up in a pretty good time.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

No problem. More of a 'bolt on' than 'Synthesis' I think but it seems to work.

I found my Australian pressing so will spin it later (in recognition of their defeat at The Gabba by West Indies XI !)

Definitely worth celebrating! But Hyderabad, even more so!!

50 minutes ago, Pim said:

IMG-5575.jpg

The final combo for this day. Will leave coming Thursday for a 2 day trip to Ieper, Belgium with our graduating classes. So a Belgian classic beer, a book on WWI plus some Wayne Shorter in the background. What a horrible war that was. Hope it will make my students realize they grow up in a pretty good time.

I'm interested why you pour the Duvel with so much head (foam).

I know that in Europe beers are not poured from the bottle like we do in the UK but that's all head and no beer 😃

Edited by mjazzg

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I'm interested why you pour the Duvel with so much head (foam).

I know that in Europe beers are not poured from the bottle like we do in the UK but that's all head and no beer 😃

That’s how it should be poured Mark ;) check out google images and the Duvel website. The foam has much taste itself and the combination of a little of that with some of the beer is very nice. And it’s actually gone pretty soon….

16 minutes ago, Pim said:

That’s how it should be poured Mark ;) check out google images and the Duvel website. The foam has much taste itself and the combination of a little of that with some of the beer is very nice. And it’s actually gone pretty soon….

Thanks Pim, I had no idea that's the way to do it. I've always tilted the bottle and glass to reduce the head, I shan't anymore 😃

The design of the glass tells you all you need to know... That's why Belgians tend to be fairly religious about serving all beers from the proper glass... (And some of those habits are honored north of the border as well... As seen from our tiny glimpse into Pim's household)

50 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks Pim, I had no idea that's the way to do it. I've always tilted the bottle and glass to reduce the head, I shan't anymore 😃

It’s worth a try but in the imo one should drink it as one like it best :)

12 minutes ago, Niko said:

The design of the glass tells you all you need to know... That's why Belgians tend to be fairly religious about serving all beers from the proper glass... (And some of those habits are honored north of the border as well... As seen from our tiny glimpse into Pim's household)

I have got quite a few but I am unable to keep up my glasses with all of the different brands I like ;) if o haven’t got it I take one that has the same shape that’s what it’s all about of course

Edited by Pim

14 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-5576.jpg

Great line up , though I don´t have that. 

But one of the greatest live performances I ever saw was a typical BN line up, which was just incredible: 

It was Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Lewis and Billy Higgins !!!!

12 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Malombo Jazz (Strut)

Johnny Griffin, NYC Underground (Galaxy)image.jpeg.aaba1f38123a85be66a4b368ae3d6996.jpegimage.jpeg.c012232df8d7001b5da2e8207f2f986f.jpegimage.jpeg.f7ca854cfa6e4191abc5e514ae4f36c7.jpeg

Red Garland, Equinox (Galaxy)

The only Galaxy I have is Johnny Griffin´s "Return of the Griffin", which was made in 1978. Imagine: I saw Griffin in April 1978, that means just a few months before he returned to the States, in a small but famous jazz club in Viena (Jazz Freddy). A whole evening with Griff ! From 22:00 to almost 04:00 .....incredible. 

I had seen the "Equinox" but maybe due to lack of enough pocket money I hadn´t bought it. As my first jazz LP was one of Miles´ first quintet Prestige date, Garland was the first jazz pianist I ever had heard !!!!! I still didn´t even know who Bud, Monk, McCoy, was..... ). But I had never heard how he played after he had left Miles, I mean I have him on Coltrane-Prestige albums too, but strange enough nothing from the time I was already listening to jazz and he still was alive. It seems he had not toured Austria....

And those Galaxy LPs, as much Garland as much Griffin, they were in all record shops then, but did disappear soon.

17 hours ago, Pim said:

It’s worth a try but in the imo one should drink it as one like it best :)

I have got quite a few but I am unable to keep up my glasses with all of the different brands I like ;) if o haven’t got it I take one that has the same shape that’s what it’s all about of course

I envy you! Certain other hobbies I have are already quite a threat to storage space in our apartment... so finding room for a nice collection of beer glasses in the kitchen is one fight I've decided not to fight (and just drink everything from a large trappist glass) 

14 hours ago, optatio said:

👍

Now:

Leviev-1-1_stitch (Copy).jpg

All of this material is on the Art Pepper 4 CD set, "Blues For The Fisherman". According to Laurie Pepper, the track on this LP that is titled "Y.I. Blues" was called "Untitled #34" when they recorded it at Ronnie Scott's that night.

FWIW, that is a really good box of music if you don't have it & at only $22, it's a steal.

36 minutes ago, bresna said:

All of this material is on the Art Pepper 4 CD set, "Blues For The Fisherman". According to Laurie Pepper, the track on this LP that is titled "Y.I. Blues" was called "Untitled #34" when they recorded it at Ronnie Scott's that night.

FWIW, that is a really good box of music if you don't have it & at only $22, it's a steal.

🧐👌 ....

As I listen to this Perkins LP, a few things stick out. Perkins seems to have a few instances where it sounds like he was having embouchure issues, as his held notes wafer in places. The second one is very weird... it sounds like the engineer varied the way he recorded the bass. Several tunes have the dreaded twang that's usually a sign of bass direct whereas others sound like the bass was mic'ed.

Verdict - worth the $6 for a spin every now & then but maybe not worth recording to CD. :)

I know we don't talk much about equipment on this thread but I want to bring up an interesting point about this Perkins LP and why I like the Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. This Perkins LP has a light but visible surface scratch across most of side 1. I could see it but couldn't feel it so I gave it a shot, the reason being that the Ortofon 2M Black stylus seems to go deeper into the grooves and surface scratches like this are not heard. I was right. This LP played perfectly. I like that this nude Shibata stylus design seems to avoid many surface scratches as if they are not there.

2 hours ago, bresna said:

FWIW, that is a really good box of music if you don't have it & at only $22, it's a steal.

👍

On 1/28/2024 at 8:06 PM, Pim said:

A little off topic!

Over there at SHF you can read and see sooo much about beer. Its different what people  think is "beer" and the way they drink it. scroll back and forth  for good pictures too.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/beer-even-more-delicious-beer-part-5.432682/page-711

;-]]