What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Just finished during a workout - Lou Donaldson - Alligator Boogaloo, from the Classic Vinyl release. Sounds nice but it's still not my favorite Donaldson from that era. It's pretty short too.

Now playing - Van Morrison - Loondance... I mean Moondance. It's easy to get those two words mixed up when it comes to Van.

image.jpeg.f776e5800eaa4c96552ed7ae71d5e29e.jpeg

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Booker Ervin - That's It! (Candid/Barnaby). I'd only ever seen this Barnaby version on LP and one time I got to chatting with Jack at Stereo Jack's where he assured me the audio was very good. He was right. It just looks like some kind of bootleg or grey market release but it does sound fine. Crazy story on the Barnaby label. Born out of one pop star's desire to buy his back catalog. Thanks Andy Williams. :)

image.jpeg.40856e0dc610b8885469db832d2cbbad.jpeg

I've got quite a number of those Barnabys which I bought from the deletions rack at Mole Jazz many years ago. You are correct, the vinyl looks naff but they sound pretty good. I have the Don Ellis and Richard Williams as well as the Mingus with Curson.

Hugh Hopper '1984' (Red vinyl reissue)

43 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Just finished during a workout - Lou Donaldson - Alligator Boogaloo, from the Classic Vinyl release. Sounds nice but it's still not my favorite Donaldson from that era. It's pretty short too.

Now playing - Van Morrison - Loondance... I mean Moondance. It's easy to get those two words mixed up when it comes to Van.

🤣 Absolutely, especially these days.

Still love all his early-mid period though, before it got a bit cantankerous

Charles Mingus, Mingus Takes Manhattan (New Land). I had a bootleg CD of this material in poor quality sound. I always wondered why Mingus broadcasts in the early 1960s sounded worse than Bird broadcasts from the late 1940s. This release transforms the material with a substantial sonic upgrade, making it highly enjoyable as music and a valuable addition to Mingus's official albums from this era. Glad I bought it, despite the high price.image.jpeg.ff95ef3b4ac173fc95dccfbeaca6f0e5.jpeg

Edited by kh1958

On 2/16/2024 at 3:06 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

My Liberty copy of that Donaldson LP is entitled ‘Alligator Bogaloo’! One cylinder is the stand out track , must have been sampled at some point?

22 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Charles Mingus, Mingus Takes Manhattan (New Land). I had a bootleg CD of this material in poor quality sound. I always wondered by Mingus broadcasts in the early 1960s sounded worse than Bird broadcasts from the late 1940s. This release transforms the material with a substantial sonic upgrade, making it highly enjoyable as music and a valuable addition to Mingus's official albums from this era. Glad I bought it, despite the high price.image.jpeg.ff95ef3b4ac173fc95dccfbeaca6f0e5.jpeg

Completely agree on all points

15 hours ago, adh1907 said:

My Liberty copy of that Donaldson LP is entitled ‘Alligator Bogaloo’! One cylinder is the stand out track , must have been sampled at some point?

'Alligator Bogaloo' indeed it is on the Liberty. I think it has been sampled but for sure it appears on one of those French Blue Note 'club' CD sets put out by 'DJ Booster' (whoever he is).

I have a framed photo of cornetist Melvin Lastie supplied by Mosaic, from that very session. Tons of cigarette smoke !

Edited by sidewinder

30 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

'Alligator Bogaloo' indeed it is on the Liberty. I think it has been sampled but for sure it appears on one of those French Blue Note 'club' CD sets put out by 'DJ Booster' (whoever he is).

I have a framed photo of cornetist Melvin Lastie supplied by Mosaic, from that very session. Tons of cigarette smoke !

I guess I've been either misspelling or mispronouncing "boogaloo" my whole life. :)

Is this Lou Donaldson LP titled pronounced "bog a lew"?

5 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I guess I've been either misspelling or mispronouncing "boogaloo" my whole life. :)

Is this Lou Donaldson LP titled pronounced "bog a lew"?

I've always thought it was 'bow-ga-lew' but I may be wrong !

OIP.hCLUcsyDuEdd42pfOjOaEQHaHW?rs=1&pid=

Nice reissue of Gerry's CBS albums put out by Henri Renaud of French CBS.