Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Pim said:

Haha the language barrier! Love that. Sometimes it’s hard for us non-native Englishmen to understand what people are talking about 😉

Now if @HutchFan actually wrote a book about his favorite albums I’d buy it in a heartbeat. For now his blogs will do

I still thought a book is a book which i read.....

Well about language barrier. Yeah, you said it. 

I can talk easily with musicians as preparing for a gig and even make the announcements in English and mostly learned English by reading liner notes, and later jazz books.  But if it´s about every day´s live I´m lost quickly. It´s all about music that I can exprime in words.......

Anyway, I know three European languages, German, one latin-derived language and one uralic language, so now past 60 it may be harder to be sure in non-jazz English 😉

Edited by Gheorghe

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I still thought a book is a book which i read.....

Well about language barrier. Yeah, you said it. 

I can talk easily with musicians as preparing for a gig and even make the announcements in English and mostly learned English by reading liner notes, and later jazz books.  But if it´s about every day´s live I´m lost quickly. It´s all about music that I can exprime in words.......

Anyway, I know three European languages, German, one latin-derived language and one uralic language, so now past 60 it may be harder to be sure in non-jazz English 😉

Loads of admiration here for people who really master three or four languages... For me Dutch as a third language has completely overwritten the little French I had, at least when it comes to speaking, and I also notice how my English, the second language, is constantly messing up the Dutch - a bit like the Romanian that occasionally shines through in your english... And these phrases where words don't have their usual meaning... Die sind schon ein Brett ;)

15 minutes ago, Niko said:

Loads of admiration here for people who really master three or four languages... For me Dutch as a third language has completely overwritten the little French I had, at least when it comes to speaking, and I also notice how my English, the second language, is constantly messing up the Dutch - a bit like the Romanian that occasionally shines through in your english... And these phrases where words don't have their usual meaning... Die sind schon ein Brett ;)

Fully agreed .... speaking two or more languages (even if only one these 100%) is special ....

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

Fully agreed .... speaking two or more languages (even if only one these 100%) is special ....

I have nothing but admiration for everyone posting in their non-native language. Especially given how accurate so many of you are at it, and even when not the meaning always comes across. Chapeau!

I say that with some shame and regret as someone who can only speak one, luckily it's English.

19 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I have nothing but admiration for everyone posting in their non-native language. Especially given how accurate so many of you are at it, and even when not the meaning always comes across. Chapeau!

I say that with some shame and regret as someone who can only speak one, luckily it's English.

It's just great to have a common language 🤝 to talk about music ....

Leonard Feather's Encyclopedia of Jazz in the 1960s, volume 2, Blues Bag (Veejay). Features a 1964 date led by Buddy DeFranco (mostly on bass clarinet), with Victor Feldman, and on three tracks, either Lee Morgan or Freddie Hill, plus Curtis Fuller.image.jpeg.92efa898870435cbb152279989450482.jpegimage.jpeg.97cd9eb323060a374ccae74ebc722269.jpeg

Brookmeyer and Guitars (Kimberley)

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

Leonard Feather's Encyclopedia of Jazz in the 1960s, volume 2, Blues Bag (Veejay). Features a 1964 date led by Buddy DeFranco (mostly on bass clarinet), with Victor Feldman, and on three tracks, either Lee Morgan or Freddie Hill, plus Curtis Fuller.image.jpeg.92efa898870435cbb152279989450482.jpeg

Nice album that 'Blues Bag' is - almost like a Jazz Messengers album at times, being powered by Blakey. I have the UK vinyl release on the 'Joy' label.

blues-bag-buddy-defrance-cover-1800-ljc.

Edited by sidewinder

Amancio D'Silva 'Reflections' (UK Columbia, stereo). Basically an easy listening album, although a good one plus Amancio's playing is great, of course.

Reverse of the sleeve says 'File under Jazz: Avante Garde' 🤔

251182141275.jpg

Also to be reissued for the first time by Decca as part of the forthcoming RSD. Looking forward to reading the new sleeve notes.

Amancio%252520D%2527Silva%252520-%252520

Edited by sidewinder

22 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Amancio D'Silva 'Reflections' (UK Columbia, stereo). Basically an easy listening album, although a good one plus Amancio's playing is great, of course.

Reverse of the sleeve says 'File under Jazz: Avante Garde' 🤔

251182141275.jpg

Also to be reissued for the first time by Decca as part of the forthcoming RSD. Looking forward to reading the new sleeve notes.

Amancio%252520D%2527Silva%252520-%252520

I have a copy of this which looks shiny and new but unfortunately plays with a lot of crackle, even after cleaning. Annoying. I haven’t played it for a while but remember being disappointed after Integration and Hum Dono etc. inspired by your post, I will replay and reconsider!

39 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

I have a copy of this which looks shiny and new but unfortunately plays with a lot of crackle, even after cleaning. Annoying. I haven’t played it for a while but remember being disappointed after Integration and Hum Dono etc. inspired by your post, I will replay and reconsider!

Crackle does seem to be an issue with this one - my copy looks spotless and plays pretty well but there is some crackle, even after being cleaned on the VPI. Although largely MOR, there are a couple of tracks which for me are 'ringers' and (not coincidentally I think) were arranged by Stan Tracey. The David Mack and Leon Young-arranged tracks are more soporific.

Edited by sidewinder

On 4/17/2007 at 10:20 AM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Yes - Just Sunshine was the label for which Stuff recorded in the late seventies; a WB subsidiary. My guess is that this is the album originally issued on Transatlantic called "Red hot from Alex" - it contains "Back at the Chicken Shack" and "Haitian fight song", as far as I can remember.

MG

I stumbled onto this album over the weekend on YouTube Music.

It is listed there as Red Hot from Alex.

On 2/24/2024 at 7:15 PM, Pim said:

IMG-5773.jpg

was long waiting for a decent reissue. Very happy with this one :)

I don´t know what reissue mine was, I had bought it in FL in 1999 at some shopping mall in Miami. I don´t think it was a RVG, it was older, but a CD and sounded fine. But more important for me is the music itself. I knew a guy who always did spin "Sidewinder" which I never did like as much as "Search for a New Land".... I consider it on a much higher musical level than "Sidewinder", which somehow bored me a little.....

Now giving this new-to-me LP a first spin:

Ni0yNTA1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Norma Winstone - Edge of Time (Argo, 1972)
2012 Wah Wah Records (ES) reissue

with:
- Alto Saxophone, Clarinet – Mike Osborne
- Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Flute – Alan Skidmore 
- Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Flute, Bass Clarinet – Art Themen 
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Henry Lowther
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Kenny Wheeler
- Trombone – Chris Pyne 
- Trombone – Malcolm Griffiths
- Trombone, Euphonium – Paul Rutherford
- Vibraphone – Frank Ricotti
- Guitar – Gary Boyle