Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Pim said:

Is that an orignal pressing? Those are pretty rare. I never got into Doyle btw.

The German repress, also reasonably hard to find but not the same scarcity value.

Doyle's a bit of a self-parody, to my mind. But he's the most extreme of the extreme, and I admire that. Paul Flaherty would love to be able to challenge that kind of danger.

Edited by Rabshakeh

23 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

The German repress, also reasonably hard to find but not the same scarcity value.

Doyle's a bit of a self-parody, to my mind. But he's the most extreme of the extreme, and I admire that. Paul Flaherty would love to be able to challenge that kind of danger.

Great, great record. He was totally serious, but in this music, certainly falls within the range of "outsider artists." Glad he was here to do what he did.

41 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

How do you like that Rega turntable?

Like it a lot. Sounds warm and lifelike, easy to use and nice design. Very satisfied. Are you considering buying one yourself? I know @Rabshakehhas the P3 which an upgrade to the P2 but of course also more expensive.

4 minutes ago, Pim said:

Like it a lot. Sounds warm and lifelike, easy to use and nice design. Very satisfied. Are you considering buying one yourself? I know @Rabshakehhas the P3 which an upgrade to the P2 but of course also more expensive.

Thinking about it.  I still have an ancient Pioneer PL-516 that I paid $15 for.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Great, great record. He was totally serious, but in this music, certainly falls within the range of "outsider artists." Glad he was here to do what he did.

At the same time, I had an instructive experience recently when both Nommo and Babi were finally re-released.

Both records I knew very well, but had never played back to back, at least until the re-release.

Because of their similar covers and the Milford Graves' name, I'd always viewed them as equivalent, despite the chronological gap.

But listening to them together, back to back, one is sublime free jazz, and the other is an exercise in musical extremism for it's own sake.

Which is fine, but that's what Doyle is, basically. Sometimes you want the musical terrorism.

All that said and done, I'm glad I got Alabama Feeling, finally.

7 minutes ago, Pim said:

I am embarrassingly ignorant on hi Fi matters. I had the same turntable for years and it was fine. I upgraded to the P3 and it felt like I had a whole new record collection. Not it sounds less good, though. I have no idea why. I know I need better speakers and probably better wires. But it just don't know where to start.

10 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I am embarrassingly ignorant on hi Fi matters. I had the same turntable for years and it was fine. I upgraded to the P3 and it felt like I had a whole new record collection. Not it sounds less good, though. I have no idea why. I know I need better speakers and probably better wires. But it just don't know where to start.

Probably with speakers ....

Hugo Montenegro - The Man from UNCLE (RCA, stereo)

Harry Betts - The Jazz Soul of Dr. Kildare (Choreo, stereo).  Surprised to learn that this album was released on a Mobile Fidelity gold CD.  On the other hand, the musician lineup is pretty amazing.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

5 hours ago, kh1958 said:

The Panassie Sessions (RCA Vintage)

Terry Gibbs and Buddy DeFranco, Airmail Special (Contemporary)image.jpeg.1fc0c5ec419bda61b39bd2abcad72296.jpeg

I loved the old Vintage series, and this one especially among them!

45 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Most important is the pickup system for  and good sound and a 1a needle(diamond).

Have myself a Shure system V15 IV with the little brush

Did understand there is a decent turntable/pickup combo already in place @ Rab's home 🧐 ....

20 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thinking about it.  I still have an ancient Pioneer PL-516 that I paid $15 for.

I had a P3 a decade ago and I regret upgrading away from it. That's many because I made a poor choice with it's replacement and also because the P3 was so simple to operate- no fuss, great fun. Snake oil upgrades to it's mains cable and tone arm wiring are available ( they do make a small difference)

18 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I loved the old Vintage series, and this one especially among them!

The sound is always so good for transfers in this series; it's a thrill to come across one I don't have already.

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

I had a P3 a decade ago and I regret upgrading away from it. That's many because I made a poor choice with it's replacement and also because the P3 was so simple to operate- no fuss, great fun. Snake oil upgrades to it's mains cable and tone arm wiring are available ( they do make a small difference)

Very happy with my P3.