What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The strange thing is that when I was at the jazz festival Wiesen in 1983 the Timeless All Stars were scheduled and to my astonishment and delightment it was Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Lewis and Billy Higgins. One of the best bands of acoustic jazz I ever heard. So it was "only" Hutch and Higgins from the "All Stars". Of course I heard the others separately, those artists were touring Europe pretty much in that period. Heard Harold Land with Diz the same year in autumn too. I saw also Max Roach very often, he was one of my first idols on drums and on music in general. 

I saw the Timeless All Stars in 1987 at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. It was the same band as on the recordings, and the only time I got to see Harold Land in concert.

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now spinning:

MjItNzAyMC5qcGVn.jpeg

Laurindo Almeida, Salli Terri, and Others - Duets with the Spanish Guitar, Album 2 (Angel, 1971)
Originally released on Capitol in 1960 as Conversations with the Guitar

Another very special album from Almeida & Terry.

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

I saw the Timeless All Stars in 1987 at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. It was the same band as on the recordings, and the only time I got to see Harold Land in concert.

I'm jealous of you guys.   

I saw Hutcherson a few times, but I never had an opportunity to see the Timeless All Stars.

On 4/7/2024 at 1:08 AM, Pim said:

Thanks Clifford for the info. So unfair to Tootie lots of those tried to sell it under Hancocks name for more money. Makes me think of Pete La Rocas Woman at a Turkish Bath sold under Chick Coreas name.

yep, Hancock or Don Cherry's name. But it was Tootie's session, Mtume's compositions (mostly), and the music can be heard pretty easily even if the story takes a bit of research.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I'm jealous of you guys.   

I saw Hutcherson a few times, but I never had an opportunity to see the Timeless All Stars.

The other notables for that weekend were a version of George Wein's Newport All Stars which featured Buddy Tate and Norris Turney (a rare opportunity to hear an Ellingtonian hero live) and a trip to Snug Harbor for Mose Allison.

On the other hand, I made the "wrong" choice in selecting the Donald Harrison/Terence Blanchard in the Jazz Tent (the band was good but...) over Jay McShann (at the same time in Economy Hall), who I never had another opportunity to see.

Edited by kh1958

7 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

The other notables for that weekend were a version of George Wein's Newport All Stars which featured Buddy Tate and Norris Turney (a rare opportunity to hear an Ellingtonian hero live) and a trip to Snug Harbor for Mose Allison.

On the other hand, I made the "wrong" choice in selecting the Donald Harrison/Terence Blanchard in the Jazz Tent (the band was good but...) over Jay McShann (at the same time in Economy Hall), who I never had another opportunity to see.

Even though you missed McShann, that sounds like AMAZING year at Jazzfest.  :tup

26 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Bought in a moment of high spirits whilst on holiday in Italy last week. I'm going to listen a few more times but not that wow-ed by it to tell the truth.

The danger of holiday high spirits...many have done a lot worse I'd suggest

Playing here:

Ahmed Abdullah Quartet - Liquid Magic [Silk heart, 1987]

Forgotten how joyous this is, Brackeen, Favors, Fielder with the leader.

21 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

The danger of holiday high spirits...many have done a lot worse I'd suggest

That 70s thing where the group feels it wants to make a statement but maybe doesn't have that much to say.

45 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Bruno Tommaso an excellent bassplayer ....

Yeah. Centazzo on drums too. I bought it because I liked who was on it.

4 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

That 70s thing where the group feels it wants to make a statement but maybe doesn't have that much to say.

Or perhaps the message doesn't resonate 50 years on as it might have then?

Gaslini wasn't afraid of a statement or two. I have one album recorded for a student movement record label of a 70s university concert. Not sure if it was during a sit in but it certainly has that feel.

20 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Gaslini wasn't afraid of a statement or two. I have one album recorded for a student movement record label of a 70s university concert. Not sure if it was during a sit in but it certainly has that feel.

Yeah, I have that one too. Gaslini was an utterly fascinating musician and composer, kind of reminds me of an Italian George Russell. That being said, not all of his records -- or at least those that I have -- blow me away but I'm usually quite interested in what he put out there, regardless of the end result.

Primary

Kayhan Kalhor And Toumani Diabaté - The Sky Is The Same Colour Everywhere [RealWorld, UK 2023]

Stunning

followed by first listen to

Primary

Shabaka - Perceive Its Beauty, Acknowledge Its Grace [Impulse, 2024]

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, I have that one too. Gaslini was an utterly fascinating musician and composer, kind of reminds me of an Italian George Russell. That being said, not all of his records -- or at least those that I have -- blow me away but I'm usually quite interested in what he put out there, regardless of the end result.

I love 'Nuovi Sentimenti', and others I have always have enough interest to them to survive successive collection culls.  The discography is such that I never can get an overview of it though, a real grasp.

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I love 'Nuovi Sentimenti', and others I have always have enough interest to them to survive successive collection culls.  The discography is such that I never can get an overview of it though, a real grasp.

yeah, that one and Newport in Milan are my two favorites. The latter reminds me a bit of Bill Dixon at times.

14 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Shabaka - Perceive Its Beauty, Acknowledge Its Grace [Impulse, 2024]

From @dougcrates too, who I noticed posted it.

What's your view? Strong? Weak? Interesting? Go back to tenor please? Team Andre3000? 

I've only had one listen myself and thought it had depth, deserving of more listens, but possibly not quite the full deal. Perhaps too in love with the calming potentialities of the flute. Maybe it gradually opens though. I like Hutchings a lot and this is an interesting facet to him.

7 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

From @dougcrates too, who I noticed posted it.

What's your view? Strong? Weak? Interesting? Go back to tenor please? Team Andre3000? 

I've only had one listen myself and thought it had depth, deserving of more listens, but possibly not quite the full deal. Perhaps too in love with the calming potentialities of the flute. Maybe it gradually opens though. I like Hutchings a lot and this is an interesting facet to him.

That's pretty much my take too. First and only listen for me too. Somehow I tend to like the ideas behind his music more than their execution and this is the same. I like the premise of ditching the saxophone soo definitely to take on a new direction. 

This has more immediacy than the Andre 3000 album(s) I think, more complete in conception and execution. It suffers a little from having too many different players which means it doesn't quite sit together as a whole though. An album of the Moran quarter would have been very 8nteresting. I like the vocal input more than I thought I would

That said it's very listenable and I think will merit return listens. But I will still go to Yamamoto when I want to hear shakuhachi.

PXL_20240413_093824336.jpg.617f8f443ef2ae298a9391d3b830e6c5.jpg

Blind Connie Williams

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That's pretty much my take too. First and only listen for me too. Somehow I tend to like the ideas behind his music more than their execution and this is the same. I like the premise of ditching the saxophone soo definitely to take on a new direction. 

This has more immediacy than the Andre 3000 album(s) I think, more complete in conception and execution. It suffers a little from having too many different players which means it doesn't quite sit together as a whole though. An album of the Moran quarter would have been very 8nteresting. I like the vocal input more than I thought I would

That said it's very listenable and I think will merit return listens. But I will still go to Yamamoto when I want to hear shakuhachi.

Yes. So many great flute records out there. Not sure this sits up there with Wess, Kirk, Hemphill and Newton. But we shall see.

120033-2.jpg

Making my way through the J section of my LPs - I came across three Leroy Jenkins sessions that I'd not played in years. All on Black Saint - Mixed, Lifelong Ambitions, Urban Blues. All very different.  Currently spinning the duet with Muhal Richard Abrams. It's pretty raw and bleak sounding with both musician pretty exposed. Well worth hearing again.