• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ICP Tentet: Tetterettet (ICP 020)

ICP020_frontSmall.jpg

Misha Mengelberg, piano; John Tchicai, alto and soprano saxophones; Gilius Van Bergeyk, alto saxophone, oboe; Peter Bennink, alto and sopranino saxophones; Peter Brötzmann, alto, tenor and baritone saxophones; Bert Koppelaar, trombone; Tristan Honsinger, cello; Michel Waisvisz, crackle box; Alan Silva, bass; Han Bennink, drums, bass clarinet.

lucky devil, I've been looking for that for quite some time. Most of those ICP's are really, really, good. I've only got the New Acoustic Swing duo, Mengelberg/Bennink duo, and Lijm by Bennink/Bailey, which I finally acquired recently.

right at this very instant, I'm listening to Nursery Cryme by Genesis. It's been 10 years since the last spin.

Arthur Marshall's Pastime Rags from pianist Milton Kaye's two-LP set "Ragtime at the Rosebud" (Golden Crest). "Pastime Rag No. 4" is from outer space (the intro especially), and this performance, while perhaps a bit too "shaded" for some tastes, really brings it to life. I've heard others that do not.

John Lewis Presents Contemporary Music

Jazz Abstractions compostions by Gunther Schuller & Jim Hall (Atlantic)WLP Mono

the band includes Scott LaFaro, Bill Evans, Eric Dolphy and Ornette Coleman.

I didn't even know this album existed until I picked it up the other day. It's got some very interesting sounds on it.

followed by

MJQ - Space (Apple) Stereo

ICP Tentet: Tetterettet (ICP 020)

ICP020_frontSmall.jpg

Misha Mengelberg, piano; John Tchicai, alto and soprano saxophones; Gilius Van Bergeyk, alto saxophone, oboe; Peter Bennink, alto and sopranino saxophones; Peter Brötzmann, alto, tenor and baritone saxophones; Bert Koppelaar, trombone; Tristan Honsinger, cello; Michel Waisvisz, crackle box; Alan Silva, bass; Han Bennink, drums, bass clarinet.

lucky devil, I've been looking for that for quite some time. Most of those ICP's are really, really, good. I've only got the New Acoustic Swing duo, Mengelberg/Bennink duo, and Lijm by Bennink/Bailey, which I finally acquired recently.

right at this very instant, I'm listening to Nursery Cryme by Genesis. It's been 10 years since the last spin.

Tetterettet has eluded me as well. There's not a clinker among the ICP LPs, though Groupcomposing isn't quite the all-star game one would hope.

Which Mengelberg/Bennink duo do you have? I have a few ICPs at this point (002, 003, 007/008, 009, 011, 020, 022). With my crappy income, I've had to prioritize on what I spend money, but eventually I'd like a set of all of the early ICP LPs. An original (handmade cover) of New Acoustic Swing Duo and the low-fi flexi discs (ICP 013) are likely out of my financial reach, but the former was reissued a couple of times. Those will be the ones I can afford.

Tetterettet has eluded me as well. There's not a clinker among the ICP LPs, though Groupcomposing isn't quite the all-star game one would hope.

Yeah, I love those ICPs. Great music. I still need a copy of Groupcomposing too. Even if the music does not live up to the hype of the lineup, it is still a great cover:

icp006_01_001.jpg

Edited by martini

Alec Wilder is very much on my mind right now, for some reason....

Frank Sinatra - She Shot Me Down (Reprise). This has Sinatra singing Wilder's last two songs, "A Long Night" and "South to a Warmer Place."

Morgana King - The Winter of My Discontent (Ascot). A 1964 album totally devoted to Wilder's songs. A little over-dramatic, but still beautiful.

Edited by jeffcrom

np:

Dorothy Ashby - The Rubaiyat of Dorothy Ashby.

I am obsessed with the track "Dust" from that album. When DJing, it provides a nice segue between eastern-tinged sets and early 70s introspective cosmic black consciousness sets.

Agree, Dust in another killer track on this, the more I play the record and get away from that its not another Afro Harping but its own thing its starting to work for me.

np:

Wynton Kelly - Kelly Blue.

Ran Blake, "The Blue Potato and Other Outrages" (Milestone).

Also, some great finds at a local used record haunt last weekend: Trane's "Ascension" (edition one); Lucky Thompson's "Plays Jerome Kern and No More" (Moodsville); Eddie Henderson's "Inside Out" (Capricorn).

Edited by Mark Stryker

Which Mengelberg/Bennink duo do you have? I have a few ICPs at this point (002, 003, 007/008, 009, 011, 020, 022). With my crappy income, I've had to prioritize on what I spend money, but eventually I'd like a set of all of the early ICP LPs. An original (handmade cover) of New Acoustic Swing Duo and the low-fi flexi discs (ICP 013) are likely out of my financial reach, but the former was reissued a couple of times. Those will be the ones I can afford.

Yeah, I love those ICPs. Great music. I still need a copy of Groupcomposing too. Even if the music does not live up to the hype of the lineup, it is still a great cover:

icp006_01_001.jpg

The duo was ICP 010, this Instant Composers Pool.

Edited by Gutrotfrenzy