• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-150-1351504-1211987245.jpeg

Marc Charig, Floros Floridis, Taya Fisher - Amore [j.n.d.]

What's that one all about, Mark?

Charig was one of my earliest jazz links - King Crimson again alongside KT. He appears now and then in the 70s/80s (e.g. on the LJCO records) but seems to vanish after that.

It's a fully improvised concert - Charig plays alto horn a fair bit as well as trumpet, Fisher the violin and Floridis clarinets, alto and soprano. Takes some listening but they create some very lovely combinations alongside some more abrasive passages. I found it in a Dalston record shop and thought it was worth a punt - it was. Not very reminiscent of King Crimson though!

Like you, I know Charig's name from LJCO, Elton Dean and Mike Osborne. I assume you've heard Pipedream with KT and vocalist on Ogun? If not, give it a go.

I think he teaches in Germany now

R-150-1351504-1211987245.jpeg

Marc Charig, Floros Floridis, Taya Fisher - Amore [j.n.d.]

What's that one all about, Mark?

Charig was one of my earliest jazz links - King Crimson again alongside KT. He appears now and then in the 70s/80s (e.g. on the LJCO records) but seems to vanish after that.

It's a fully improvised concert - Charig plays alto horn a fair bit as well as trumpet, Fisher the violin and Floridis clarinets, alto and soprano. Takes some listening but they create some very lovely combinations alongside some more abrasive passages. I found it in a Dalston record shop and thought it was worth a punt - it was. Not very reminiscent of King Crimson though!

Like you, I know Charig's name from LJCO, Elton Dean and Mike Osborne. I assume you've heard Pipedream with KT and vocalist on Ogun? If not, give it a go.

I think he teaches in Germany now

Thanks.

Yes I do have Pipedream - remember it coming out during my initial 'Ogun' period c.1977-8. I didn't buy it because I feared my very basic turntable set up would not cope with the dynamics. Then it vanished for decades. Bought it on the CD reissue a few years back.

Charig has an important role in my musical education c. 1972 - there's a wonderful passage on the long 'Lizard' track of that KC album where the music settles into a bolero. Tippett, Charig and Nick Evans all take solos - the music moves from the sweetly melodic to near free improvisation. Initially I was bemused but over time I became more and more intrigued by the more irregular parts. Then on the title track of 'Islands' he plays some wonderfully emotional horn - but unlike what I was used to it had a sputtering stop/start feel that spoke to me. Buying Septober Energy on the back of that there's a glorious Tippett/Charig duet that ends the double album. Again, tonal but irregular.

Provided me with very different reference points to what I was listening to at the time.

51UofEpdVmL._SY300_.jpg

Steve Lacy - Reflections: Steve Lacy Plays Thelonious Monk (New Jazz OJC). A really nice-sounding OJC LP. I don't spin this one much, because (in my opinion) Mr. Lacy did so much better later, but damn! This is a good album.

Yes that's one of my favorite early Lacy albums! I have a mint Japanese press which sounds lovely...it helps that Mal Waldron is on this one too!

Tonight's spins:

Masahiko Togashi "spiritual moments"...just a classic trio record with Lacy and the great Kent Carter on bass...amazing album..always surprises on each listen

Eberhard Weber "yellow fields" (German ECM)..easily my favorite Weber album followed by "little movements" but I'm biased as I think Jon Christensen is one of the best drummers out there

Christensen is indeed great.

I love that Lacy record and also have it on a nice Japanese press.

I was thinking about great drummers and pulled out one more lp to spin before calling it a night..probably my favorite Tomasz Stanko album with the amazing Edward Vesala on drums:

"Almost green" (Leo, Finland)

My wife, who is by my side right now, even enjoys it!

$T2eC16N,!%29QE9s3HD%29e-BQ%28RyhPBsg~~6

Joe Venuti - World's Greatest Jazz Violinist with Russ Morgan at the Piano (Decca 10"). This album was released in 1950 (on LP, 45s, and 78s, I believe), but is not listed in the Lord discography, so I'm not sure when it was recorded. Rust (and Lord) list the first two titles of side one, "Black Satin" and "Red Velvet" by Venuti and Morgan for English Columbia in October, 1935. I suspect all of these recordings were made around that time, but can someone with a good Venuti discography confirm or correct?