What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Next up some whacky Dutch jazz, the perfect antidote to reading the Hoffnung forum. Another bargain from Saturday ( I felt I did rather well)

Willem Breuker Kollektief -------------Driebergen Zeist----------(Bvhaast)

Covering originals and tunes by Duke, Prokofiev & Weill, it sounds like everyone had a lot of fun making this marvellous gem. Like the best Dutch jazz humour and controlled chaos infect the proceedings. Very highly recommended.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dizzy Reece Quintet--------Moose the Mooche--------(Discovery)

1982 reissue of a 1978 session. Great line up includes Ted Curson , Sam Jones, Roy Haynes and Claude Williamson. A bebop jam session feel pervades the record. All very nice but it could/ should have been a tad more adventurous. A keeper though.

Steely Dan - Aja (Cisco). Everyone over on the Hoffman forums raves about the sonics on this LP but to my ears, it's OK, but not great "the best record in my collection" that some of them claim. It seems to be getting big bucks these days so maybe I should sell it. I actually have two copies (found a 2nd cheap & thought maybe it would be cleaner) and neither one is dead-silent. Surface noise abounds, right out of the sleeve. Always worse on the lead-in grooves too.

6809729fd7a000576f3de010-l1.jpg

Stanley Turrentine - That's Where It's At (dark blue label with VAN GELDER in the deadwax). I don't know why, but I've always dug this date. Nice & bluesy. I guess I don't understand the times, because I find the liner notes fanciful. I don't see what's so different about this date that would somehow make it knock Rock And Roll off it's axis.

20130205031920f76.jpg

Edit: Is it "that's where it's at."? :)

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan