What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

"Anyway, I can't wait for the record store owner to laugh in my face when I try to pass these on to him. :unsure:"

Those albums are usually denizens of thrift stores and bargain racks. But if they are absolutely minty you might get something for them; I'd try for a trade or store credit. Wish you luck.

Edited by Leeway

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed! I was merely answering the question where to start with OM, I'd not be able to do so for Leimgruber in general, wouldn't feel competent.

Oh, understood! I just had some extra Leimgruber stuff knocking around in my head that needed to be delivered :lol:

The Jimmy Giuffre 3 (Giuffre, clarinet; Steve Swallow, bass; Paul Bley, piano), THESIS. Verve.

58944.jpg

Giuffre seems to hit the same receptors in my brain as Steve Lacy.

Giuffre and Lacy actually played together for a bit not long before this record, but for some reason they didn't quite gel.

I found this very interesting. Thank you. My thought was simply that "birds of a feather do not always flock together." But I found my copy of "Conversations" (with Steve Lacy), (edited by Jason Weiss, Duke U Press), and Giuffre comes up a few times.

In a 1965 interview, Lacy said: "But I played with Giuffre when I was in New York. I like him a lot, he was (!) a good friend, but musically we're not at all on the same track, our kinds of music are incompatible. For me, friendship is very important.

In a 1996 interview, we get more of the story. Lacy tells how Nica, baroness Pannonica, got Monk to come hear Lacy's group playing at the Five Spot with Jimmy Giuffre. "Jimmy Giuffre took my trio and called it his quartet. At the time, he didn't know what to do and found my trio interesting but it didn't work out very well. He fired me after two weeks, but during those two weeks, John Coltrane came and that's where he took notice of the soprano's tonality."

In a 1998 interview, Lacy recalled: There was a parallel between Giuffre and me. When Giuffre got to New York, he had heard all the new jazz. He took over the trio I had with Buell and Dennis Charles and made it into the Jimmy Giuffre Quartet. This is 1960. We were playing Monk tunes then. But it didn't work out between JImmy and me at all. It was awful, so he fired me after two weeks. He was a beautiful guy, a lovely guy, but we were incompatible musically. Also, in those days, I wasn't flexible. I was very doctrinaire about Monk. He was a very easy going guy. It was California versus New York. It didn't work out."

Some interesting recollections. If interested in Lacy, I recommend the "Conversations" book.

Listening to:

360579934147.jpg

Two LPs, hat Hut, A,B recorded live, 1977, at Willisau Jazz Festival. C,D recorded live 1978 Jazz Au Totem. Wild skronky energized music. Love it.

Edited by Leeway

jw-bm1965.jpg

Jack Wilson Plays Brazilian Mancini (Vault). I came across this while my wife and I were wandering through a flea market this evening. I had never heard of it, and thought that it could be pretty good or really bad. It's pretty good, in my opinion, in spite of the somewhat contrived concept. Roy Ayers and Wilson are supported by a Brazilian rhythm section, with no less than Jobim himself on guitar.

benniewallace-playsmonk.JPG

I have just got around to playing some Bennie Wallace (picked up some LPs of his as part of another purchase). Any thoughts, positive or negative, on Mr. Wallace?

I used to have a slightly higher opinion of him than I do these days. I think my standards are higher than they used to be. He's competent, but there's not a lot of substance in his playing. Just my opinion and I haven't heard anything he's done in the past twenty years, so perhaps take my opinion with that in mind.

benniewallace-playsmonk.JPG

I have just got around to playing some Bennie Wallace (picked up some LPs of his as part of another purchase). Any thoughts, positive or negative, on Mr. Wallace?

I used to have a slightly higher opinion of him than I do these days. I think my standards are higher than they used to be. He's competent, but there's not a lot of substance in his playing. Just my opinion and I haven't heard anything he's done in the past twenty years, so perhaps take my opinion with that in mind.

OK, thanks. I note too that the Penguin Guide is not terribly enthusiastic nor negative. I think I got a few more, IIRC, all on Enja. I'll spin them and see how how they measure up.

Taking another step with my Bennie Wallace survey:

wallaceb_chick.JPG

Nice, professional well-played, but maybe too nice, too technically correct, could use more edge. Chick doesn't bring anything interesting to the party.

Then:

wallace_gomez_live.JPG

This was a different story. Wallace comes out strong from the start, with some really intense playing. There's a lot of energy here. As usual. Wallace gets a Monk tune in, but if you compare his way of playing Monk, with say, Steve Lacy's, you find that lack of artistic discipline or toughness that Lacy has in abundance. Still, a pretty good album with Eddie Gomez and Dannie Richmond playing very well.