Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty_Baby_AA1076.jpg

Pretty Baby soundtrack (ABC). I think I've said it before here - this is one of the great traditional New Orleans jazz albums of its time (1977). The New Orleans Ragtime Orchestra, Kid Thomas Valentine's band, Jelly Roll Morton interpreter Bob Greene, James Booker, and Louis Cottrell all contribute. And producer Jerry Wexler's influence is a positive one - I doubt that, left to his own devices, Kid Thomas would ever have come up with anything as striking as having the first two choruses of "Honey Swat Blues" played by his unaccompanied trumpet.

Gunther Schuller/JJ Johnson/Miles Davis 'Music For Brass' (Columbia 6-eye DG mono)

schull_gunt_musicforb_101b.jpg

Preceded by a couple of recent Music Matters 2x45rpm Blue Notes. Both of these classic sessions, I have to say, sound magnificent in these pressings.

Donald Byrd 'Royal Flush'

MMBST-84101-2.jpg?1354617940

Joe Henderson 'Mode For Joe'

bnlp4227-45.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

Third and 4 are the peaks for me. 5 is good too. 6 + 7 are enjoyable too though the minimalism becomes more pronounced at the expense of the jazz.

The BBC discs are well worth acquiring - and there must be more than a dozen live/radio broadcasts out there now, all morphing this music in different combinations of tunes.

These records got into the lower reaches of the UK album charts. Hard to imagine now.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Third and 4 are the peaks for me. 5 is good too. 6 + 7 are enjoyable too though the minimalism becomes more pronounced at the expense of the jazz.

The BBC discs are well worth acquiring - and there must be more than a dozen live/radio broadcasts out there now, all morphing this music in different combinations of tunes.

These records got into the lower reaches of the UK album charts. Hard to imagine now.

Thanks Bev, useful guidance. I will continue to check out the Soft Machine oeuvre. This little box set seems an inexpensive way to do so. I already have 1 & 2 so don't need them in this box, which includes 3 to 7.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Album-Classics-Soft-Machine/dp/tracks/B003ZBX84G/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_2

Picked up a couple of Blue Notes recently. Both have the UA blue label with the black "b". Both have "Van Gelder" in the runoff. I know these are not recognized as audiophile pressings, but, my oh my, they sound really good. I seem to recall that if the vinyl has "Van Gelder" in the run-off that it will be a good-sounding LP. Don't know if that generally holds up, but it is true here.

$(KGrHqNHJEQFDjwVMzBBBRj5eyCW0g~~60_35.J

And:

!BuMMR4g!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-EMEvpym7mSLBL+UQ-8

roscoemitchell-samenessa.JPG

I have this "blue" label.

Whats the different with the "red" label?

The red label was the first 1000 but the blue label is a 100% better mastering.

Chuck, is the blue label LP mastering the same mastering as used on the Nessa CDs, or do the CDs use different mastering?

The Modern Jazz Quartet - The Modern Jazz Quartet At Music Inn (with Jimmy Giuffre) (Atlantic). Original black label pressing in OK shape. Unfortunately, the vibes distort every now & then and there are some pretty good pops but listenable. Not my favorite LP, that's for sure. Too polite?

4258758320_e089cbb785_o.jpg

EDIT: I paid way more than $6 for it! :)

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow (Fish People). Brand new out of the sleeve, these sides have never played without crackle & pops. The first time I played this, I didn't like it that much. I still don't think it's great, but I it's not Yoko Ono bad.

23833941_700x700min_1.jpg

As I recall my copy was good as was my impression of the music . I share your frustration as Increasingly I'm wondering if the knowledge to press vinyl properly has been lost. Audiophile companies do ok but most non audiophile vinyls have sounded very average.