Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Too polite, but nice cover though.

The Modern Jazz Quartet - The Modern Jazz Quartet At Music Inn (with Jimmy Giuffre) (Atlantic). Original black label pressing in OK shape. Unfortunately, the vibes distort every now & then and there are some pretty good pops but listenable. Not my favorite LP, that's for sure. Too polite?

4258758320_e089cbb785_o.jpg

EDIT: I paid way more than $6 for it! :)

Teruo Nakamura "Rising Sun" (Kitty, Japan)..not nearly as good as the earlier "Unicorn" on TBM, but some really nice tracks still on here featuring Harry Whitaker on a few of these.

Terumasa Hino "Fuji" (Victor, Japan)...this one is yet another strong Hino record...the opening track has some amazing guitar playing too

More Tapscott:

tapsco_hora_call~~~~~_101b.jpg

Me too. Great album.

I must get this one day. My Tapscott collection is very incomplete...I only own "The Giant Is Awakened" on Flying Dutchman and that is a killer album. I think I've been outbid on "Dial B for Barbara" about 10 times over the years :(

Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow (Fish People). Brand new out of the sleeve, these sides have never played without crackle & pops. The first time I played this, I didn't like it that much. I still don't think it's great, but I it's not Yoko Ono bad.

23833941_700x700min_1.jpg

As I recall my copy was good as was my impression of the music . I share your frustration as Increasingly I'm wondering if the knowledge to press vinyl properly has been lost. Audiophile companies do ok but most non audiophile vinyls have sounded very average.

There is a possibility the vinyl is speckeled ( check visual under a lamb )

In this case the record is pressed under a wrong temperarure ( to hot )

I bring these albums to a guy in Antwerpen who repressed it to a fruit or candy basket.

Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow (Fish People). Brand new out of the sleeve, these sides have never played without crackle & pops. The first time I played this, I didn't like it that much. I still don't think it's great, but I it's not Yoko Ono bad.

As I recall my copy was good as was my impression of the music . I share your frustration as Increasingly I'm wondering if the knowledge to press vinyl properly has been lost. Audiophile companies do ok but most non audiophile vinyls have sounded very average.

There is a possibility the vinyl is speckeled ( check visual under a lamb )

In this case the record is pressed under a wrong temperarure ( to hot )

I bring these albums to a guy in Antwerpen who repressed it to a fruit or candy basket.

Teruo Nakamura "Rising Sun" (Kitty, Japan)..not nearly as good as the earlier "Unicorn" on TBM, but some really nice tracks still on here featuring Harry Whitaker on a few of these.

Terumasa Hino "Fuji" (Victor, Japan)...this one is yet another strong Hino record...the opening track has some amazing guitar playing too

More Tapscott:

tapsco_hora_call~~~~~_101b.jpg

Me too. Great album.

I must get this one day. My Tapscott collection is very incomplete...I only own "The Giant Is Awakened" on Flying Dutchman and that is a killer album. I think I've been outbid on "Dial B for Barbara" about 10 times over the years :(

I have "Dial B for Barbara" on a Nimbus West CD; at one time that seemed fairly available around here (I bought it in a CD shop 4 or 5 years). However, have yet to see a copy of "The Giant is Awakened," which seems to have become quite scarce and expensive. Such are the vagaries of record collecting!

Too polite, but nice cover though.

The Modern Jazz Quartet - The Modern Jazz Quartet At Music Inn (with Jimmy Giuffre) (Atlantic). Original black label pressing in OK shape. Unfortunately, the vibes distort every now & then and there are some pretty good pops but listenable. Not my favorite LP, that's for sure. Too polite?

4258758320_e089cbb785_o.jpg

EDIT: I paid way more than $6 for it! :)

I'm not a fan of most "polite" music or of the MJQ usually, but I listened to that one recently and enjoyed it. Different ears, a different time, or something. :)

merc20444.jpgMr_Natural_%28Stanley_Turrentine_album%2image_14730.jpg

Some of yesterday's and today's vinyl:

Quincy Jones - The Birth of a Band (Mercury mono). Dutifully labeled "fair" by one of my local record dealers, it plays beautifully with my mono cartridge.

Stanley Turrentine - Mr. Natural (BN rainbow). Side one is in great shape; side two is beat to hell. Go figure.

Sam Rivers Winds of Manhattan - Colours (Black Saint). I bought this when it came out, and was disappointed at the time. I think that I was bothered by the mismatch between the very advanced harmonic language and the 4/4 squareness of the rhythms at times. I still notice that in spots, but it bothers me much less now.