• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mJmdR6Kwgnuhnwn0Z8P_M1A.jpg

Jim Hall: Live in Tokyo (Paddle Wheel)

That illustration reminds me of the ones that King did of Grant Green LPs in '79/'80. Is it the same artist?

MG

The King Grant Green illustrations were done by Toshio Fujiyama, per Discogs. I can't find the illustrator for the Hall.

230824646936.jpg

380672026775.jpg

300345380758.jpg

Fujiyama is also the illustrator of the Jim Hall cover.

Ah, there we are then. Thanks Paul.

MG

You have a pretty good eye.

But they are all imitation Warhols.

Karl Berger "With Silence" (enja, germany)

Jackie McLean "Bluesnik" (blue note, NY labels, stereo)

Jackie McLean "Destination Out" (blue note, NY labels, stereo)

Steve Lacy "The Straight Horn of" (Barnaby Candid reissue, stereo...as much as I would prefer an original press of this I have to admit this late 70s issue sounds absolutely fine, and it only cost me $5...great album!)

I have been spinning a lot of vinyl but not actually listening to it. I'm in the process of converting over a bunch of LPs that I've picked up over the last year. Some of it is great stuff, but then there is a whole stack of Bud Shank doing pop tunes that I imagine I'll listen to once and that's it. (I got these as part of a lot sale.)

So perhaps interesting is that the most accomplished of the bunch is The Talents of Bud Shank on Kimberly Jazz. After some research, it became obvious that this was really just two different sides from Pacific Jazz (Bud Shank and 3 Trombones and Bud Shank Quintet). I am almost positive that these were just licensed/reissued on Kimberly (but recorded by Pacific) rather than the other way around.

And yet there is a huge paragraph on the back cover talking about the amazing recording equipment over at the Kimberly Studios, and basically claiming the recordings were in fact done there (which I don't believe). I mean there's hype and then there's hype. This is how this blurb ends: "This recordings that you now have in your hands truly represents a miracle in sound and is a perfect copy of the most perfect and painstakingly engineered recording." :blink:

I have been spinning a lot of vinyl but not actually listening to it. I'm in the process of converting over a bunch of LPs that I've picked up over the last year. Some of it is great stuff, but then there is a whole stack of Bud Shank doing pop tunes that I imagine I'll listen to once and that's it. (I got these as part of a lot sale.) Just looking at the titles gives me the heebie-jeebies. I can see maybe doing one or two LPs of this stuff, but he's got at least 5: California Dreamin', Let It Be, Magical Mystery, Michelle, A Spoonful of Jazz...

I know I shouldn't dwell on this, but Michelle is just so icky. (I imagine the others aren't any better.) Backup vocalists on all or virtually all the tracks (right now they are cooing "Turn Turn Turn" in my ear). This is so much worse than I had imagined...

Taking the vocals into account, I would actually rate this as lower than Musak and mostly Shank just seems to be phoning it in. Maybe I am just not willing to listen too hard to see if he is actually performing anything resembling jazz.

That illustration reminds me of the ones that King did of Grant Green LPs in '79/'80. Is it the same artist?

MG

The King Grant Green illustrations were done by Toshio Fujiyama, per Discogs. I can't find the illustrator for the Hall.

230824646936.jpg

380672026775.jpg

300345380758.jpg

MG

As Homer SImpson would say, "Doh!" Right on target Chuck. A couple of the Warhols:

ablue+note+1500+086.jpeg

johnny-griffin.jpg

But I still like the Fujiyamas, despite that. I would think Warhol was otherwise engaged at that point, what with goings-on at The Factory and all ^_^

I have been spinning a lot of vinyl but not actually listening to it. I'm in the process of converting over a bunch of LPs that I've picked up over the last year. Some of it is great stuff, but then there is a whole stack of Bud Shank doing pop tunes that I imagine I'll listen to once and that's it. (I got these as part of a lot sale.) Just looking at the titles gives me the heebie-jeebies. I can see maybe doing one or two LPs of this stuff, but he's got at least 5: California Dreamin', Let It Be, Magical Mystery, Michelle, A Spoonful of Jazz...

I know I shouldn't dwell on this, but Michelle is just so icky. (I imagine the others aren't any better.) Backup vocalists on all or virtually all the tracks (right now they are cooing "Turn Turn Turn" in my ear). This is so much worse than I had imagined...

Taking the vocals into account, I would actually rate this as lower than Musak and mostly Shank just seems to be phoning it in. Maybe I am just not willing to listen too hard to see if he is actually performing anything resembling jazz.

I'm not surprised these albums were sold. The bins at thrift stores I filled with shlock. I'm just surprised that some like Shank with talent would put his name to it, although I suppose that Bud pulled in a good bit of money for doing so. This is music to be played in the background of cocktail parties and other occasions where no one was actually listening.

MG

230824646936.jpg

380672026775.jpg

300345380758.jpg

MG

Not really...

Kenny+Burrell+-+Blue+Lights+Volume+2+-+%

MG

MG

230824646936.jpg

380672026775.jpg

300345380758.jpg

MG

As Homer SImpson would say, "Doh!" Right on target Chuck. A couple of the Warhols:

ablue+note+1500+086.jpeg

Never saw that KB sleeve before. I actually agree with Chuck, now. :tophat:

MG