• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol Coxhill - EAR OF BEHOLDER - Double LP, Ampex.

4749524083.jpg

This copy is a white label promo "D.J" copy. Hard to bracket "D.J" and Lol in the same sentence.

The version of 'I am the Walrus' is a dance floor classic.

Yeah, that is pretty cool! Although I didn't think of it that way, but sure, I can see that. I went back and looked at the inside of the gate-fold, and I noticed now that there are little notes in red ink next to each track. Must be the DJ's notes (?). Next to "I Am The Walrus" it is noted, "(far-out!!) kids". ^_^

4b443eea03836d516ff7a10e429214d9.jpg

Johnny Griffin's Studio Jazz Party (Riverside mono). Just back from visiting the wife's relatives on the left coast; nice to be back to the cats and the turntable. I picked up a few records and CDs out there, including this one - slightly battered, but quite listenable with the mono cartridge. I had never heard of this session before - it's, to use a technical term, a hoot.

ken_colyer%27s_jazzmen-new_orleams_to_lo

Ken Colyer - New Orleans to London (London 10"). Ken Colyer, who jumped ship 1952 (he was in the UK Merchant Navy) in Mobile to get to New Orleans and play with his idols there, is my favorite European trad jazzman. I believe that this was his first album after being arrested and deported back to England. It's a delight. I couldn't find a picture of the US London issue I have, but it has the same cover design as the British Decca cover shown here.

mt2xJtYn5N9wZSK15IOqwfw.jpg

Fred McDowell and Johnny Woods (Rounder)

Yesterday a friend e-mailed me about a Fat Possum CD issue of this material. Reminded me that I hadn't listened to my LP in some time. Classic music.

The Rounder LP and the Fat Possum CD overlap, but there are tracks on each that aren't on the other. I've snatched up everything I've ever found by these two men together - McDowell and Woods have as close a rapport as any two musicians I've ever heard, in any genre.

4b443eea03836d516ff7a10e429214d9.jpg

Johnny Griffin's Studio Jazz Party (Riverside mono). Just back from visiting the wife's relatives on the left coast; nice to be back to the cats and the turntable. I picked up a few records and CDs out there, including this one - slightly battered, but quite listenable with the mono cartridge. I had never heard of this session before - it's, to use a technical term, a hoot.

I was in Stereo Jack's one day and the discussion in the store got around to favorite records and this one was one Bob Blumenthal's favorites. I didn't have it at the time so I picked it up. Very nice jam session. The band truly sounds like they're having fun.

mt2xJtYn5N9wZSK15IOqwfw.jpg

Fred McDowell and Johnny Woods (Rounder)

Yesterday a friend e-mailed me about a Fat Possum CD issue of this material. Reminded me that I hadn't listened to my LP in some time. Classic music.

The Rounder LP and the Fat Possum CD overlap, but there are tracks on each that aren't on the other. I've snatched up everything I've ever found by these two men together - McDowell and Woods have as close a rapport as any two musicians I've ever heard, in any genre.

Yes. I checked the track listing for the Fat Possum and saw there were a few differences. I just decided to stick with my LP.

They do play together masterfully.

got a lp a little outside of what i usually look for, but its really interesting. i was inspired to check it out from some of the posts i see here in this thread....anyways its uk verve, but recorded in germany. clarke-boland big band feat. stan getz. amazing SQ on this, and its large ensemble jazz like ive never heard before- its not regular swing, the only thing i currently can relate it to, is progressive rock. the tunes go through all these different completely different movmemnts, instrumentation changes, its very modern. i dont have it handy now or id post the exact name of the lp....

got a lp a little outside of what i usually look for, but its really interesting. i was inspired to check it out from some of the posts i see here in this thread....anyways its uk verve, but recorded in germany. clarke-boland big band feat. stan getz. amazing SQ on this, and its large ensemble jazz like ive never heard before- its not regular swing, the only thing i currently can relate it to, is progressive rock. the tunes go through all these different completely different movmemnts, instrumentation changes, its very modern. i dont have it handy now or id post the exact name of the lp....

Sounds interesting. Will have to keep that one in mind.

As the clock headed to midnight last night, played:

coltra_john_infinity~_101b.jpg

Looks like it could be this one, Chewy:

170781637495.jpg

http://www.allmusic.com/album/change-of-scenes-mw0000036168

Edited by BillF

$T2eC16F,!%29sE9swm%28vSYBSF6J-JNq!~~60_

Bob French and the Original Storyville Jazz Band - At Heritage Hall (SONO). A 1978 album with Teddy Riley, Frog Joseph, and Ellis Marsalis in drummer French's band. It's a fair-to-middling, set of non-purist traditional New Orleans jazz, with an eclectic approach and modern influences, including Bob's nephew George on electric bass. It's nowhere near the best New Orleans jazz ever recorded, but tonight I'm somehow reminded of Thornton Wilder's play Our Town, in which an ordinary day was good enough. Teddy Riley, Frog Joseph, and Bob French are all gone now, and this not-bad album seems like a treasure, and makes me glad to be alive.

Rivers_James.jpg

James Rivers - Ole (J.B.'s). I'm not sure anyone here except The Magnificent Goldberg would like this one, but he'd dig it, and so do I. James Rivers is a New Orleans R & B/soul-jazz saxophonist who has been on the scene there for many years. Based on the matrix numbers on the labels, I think that this one came out in 1978; the style seems about right for that year. In the band are Carl LeBlanc, who went on to play guitar with Sun Ra and banjo with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, and Jonathan Moffett, who later moved to L.A. and played and recorded with a bunch of big names, like Michael Jackson and Madonna.

Looks like it could be this one, Chewy:

170781637495.jpg

http://www.allmusic.com/album/change-of-scenes-mw0000036168

Same UK pressing as my copy. Agree that the audio quality is excellent !