• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I picked up a couple of LT-series BN LPs. The odd thing is they use the King Records LP covers rather than the typical LT covers when initially issued. These are definitely not King reissues, and I believe they are recent BN reissues, but I don't see anything in Discogs on a new reissue. Anyone know who did the reissue?

Here's the Blue Mitchell:

$(KGrHqV,!hsE1Qq5uiJJBNYu4sKh5!~~_12.JPG

Those are pressed by Rainbo Records in CA and they are from a digital source. While they're supposed to sound fine, I don't see the point of 'em. It's just the CD with clicks, pops & surface noise added.

So I picked up a couple of LT-series BN LPs. The odd thing is they use the King Records LP covers rather than the typical LT covers when initially issued. These are definitely not King reissues, and I believe they are recent BN reissues, but I don't see anything in Discogs on a new reissue. Anyone know who did the reissue?

Here's the Blue Mitchell:

$(KGrHqV,!hsE1Qq5uiJJBNYu4sKh5!~~_12.JPG

Those are pressed by Rainbo Records in CA and they are from a digital source. While they're supposed to sound fine, I don't see the point of 'em. It's just the CD with clicks, pops & surface noise added.

Yes, that doesn't surprise me. The sound is just ok, if that. Not much surface noise. The covers "pop" though ! Thanks Kevin.

One plus is they've pressed a lot of titles that are very hard to find on CD. And they're cheap.

Right on both counts. I just don't come across these titles every day, so I also picked up:

hank_mobley_slice_VERS2.jpg

and:

ronnie_mathews_doin_thethang.jpg

Each well under $10 (I think they were promo copies). Figured I wasn't getting the ultimate in vinyl, but they would get me by until something better came along.

One plus is they've pressed a lot of titles that are very hard to find on CD. And they're cheap.

Right on both counts. I just don't come across these titles every day, so I also picked up:

and:

Each well under $10 (I think they were promo copies). Figured I wasn't getting the ultimate in vinyl, but they would get me by until something better came along.

Lee-Way. Try to find :

Hank-Mobley-A-Slice-Of-The-To-544291.jpg

Super Fidelity :tup

and:

Lee-Way. Try to find :

Hank-Mobley-A-Slice-Of-The-To-544291.jpg

Super Fidelity :tup

Indeed! I have several Conns vinyl but not that one. Would be nice.....or the King Records ;)

Edited by Leeway

CHEWYS TOP HOLIDAY JAMZ '13

10. Nutcracker- Dorati version on Mercury, 2 lp set- 1959

9. Paul McCartney- Wonderful Christmastime (Columbia white label promo)

8. Greg Lake- "I Believe In Father Christmas" (45 rpm single, UK Maticore)

7. A Warm & Wonderful Christmas Eve with Bing & Frank.....vinyl dub of the 12/20/57 abc tv b'cast, on "ho ho ho records" (boris rose)

6. Jackie Gleason- Merry Christmas (Capitol, 1956)

5. The New Christy Minstrels- Christmas with the Christies (1966)
4. "Do They Know It's Christmas"/Band Aid (1984) [12" single, SEALED]
3. Jon Anderson- 3 Ships (1985)
2. Duke Ellington & his Orch- The Nutcracker Suite (Columbia, 1960)...
1. Charles Brown Sings Christmas Songs ('78 reissue of the 1961 KING lp)

MI0002445665.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Still enough fire in Gato's playing to make this one worthwhile. With Lennie White, Joe Beck, Ron Carter, and Lonnie Liston Smith. Flying Dutchman LP.

Spent countless hours listening to Gato wailing away on "Falsa Baihana" on that one. Immediately caught him live in 73 at the Newport in NY Festival with a teenager named Stanley Clarke on bass.

We had a post-Christmas Pop vinyl fest last night:

McKendree Spring-1st LP- drummer-less quartet with elec. violin.

Free Design- "You Could Be Born Again" - Chris Dedrick was a genius

IF- 1st LP- great UK jazz-rock feat. Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith

Edited by sgcim