Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

300486339154.jpg

Edward Vesala------Heavy Life------(Leo Finland)

How is that one? I've often wondered about how it sounds without Vesala's usual cohort on board

It's certainly different from the likes of Twet, Live at Remont. As the titles imply it has a heavier and altogether richer soundscape. It lacks the sheer visceral impact these other titles have and is perhaps closer to ECM releases like "Ode to the death of jazz". It's well worth hearing.

300486339154.jpg

How is that one? I've often wondered about how it sounds without Vesala's usual cohort on board It's certainly different from the likes of Twet, Live at Remont. As the titles imply it has a heavier and altogether richer soundscape. It lacks the sheer visceral impact these other titles have and is perhaps closer to ECM releases like "Ode to the death of jazz". It's well worth hearing.

Have not played this album nor "twet" or "live at remont" in years...a good reminder.

And will you be seeing Jone Takamaki, mjazzg? If so you're lucky! Jealous...

300486339154.jpg

How is that one? I've often wondered about how it sounds without Vesala's usual cohort on board It's certainly different from the likes of Twet, Live at Remont. As the titles imply it has a heavier and altogether richer soundscape. It lacks the sheer visceral impact these other titles have and is perhaps closer to ECM releases like "Ode to the death of jazz". It's well worth hearing.

Have not played this album nor "twet" or "live at remont" in years...a good reminder.

And will you be seeing Jone Takamaki, mjazzg? If so you're lucky! Jealous...

Thanks Gents. I'd suspected that it may be closer to the ECMs which is no bad thing in my book at all. I'm a big fan of all Sound and Fury albums

Live at Remont I don't know at all but enjoy Twet a lot

Yes, hoping to make it to Takamaki, life permitting

Oliver Nelson "the blues and the abstract truth" (impulse, USA). Brilliant sounding stereo copy...a masteerpiece. I think this is the very first press with AM-PAR labels and metal sculpture inner gatefold photo.

The copy of this one I play the most is the 1976 UK pressing which had US imported sleeve and UK vinyl and was (like that whole series) taken from an original master copy. Only £2.99 when I bought it and still sounds great !

Oliver Nelson "the blues and the abstract truth" (impulse, USA). Brilliant sounding stereo copy...a masteerpiece. I think this is the very first press with AM-PAR labels and metal sculpture inner gatefold photo.

The copy of this one I play the most is the 1976 UK pressing which had US imported sleeve and UK vinyl and was (like that whole series) taken from an original master copy. Only £2.99 when I bought it and still sounds great !

Great sound is all that counts! I don't think I paid more then $50 for my copy which has mint vinyl but I know many UK pressings can sound quite nice. I have an original UK issue of "shape of jazz to come" and it definitely rivals my bullseye US original in terms of sound. That said, all my records have been sounding amazing lately since I upgraded my amp and speakers recently.

Those Brit EPs look very cool, Clunky.

Now playing:

scepter541.jpg

The Original Tuxedo Jazz Band (Scepter). This 1966 album represents more or less the halfway point for the longest-running band in jazz history. Banjoist Albert French is the leader here; his grandson Gerald French now leads the band.

Beverly Glenn Copeland "s/t" (GRT, Canada) a nice obscure jazzy folk(or is it folky jazz?) album with some good Canadian players like Lenny Breau and Don Thompson..

Freddie Hubbard "open sesame" (blue note, King Japan)

Motohiko Hino "sailing ice" (TBM, Japan)

Next

Stanko/ Vesala ------Live at Remont-------( Helicon) rec. Warsaw Oct 1976

Great album! Wish the sound quality was a bit better...

Edited by Homefromtheforest