What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

got the mobe ANOTHER WORKOUT 45 rpm set / sounds great, this is replacing my US cd which i havent spun in yrs, happy i never bought the 80s vinyl now

45 RPM Tracklist A1 Out Of Joe's Bag A2 I Should Care B Gettin' And Jettin' C Hank's Other Soul D1 Hello Young Lovers D2

Three Coins In A Fountain

So you have two LP sides with songs that are only 7:43 & 8:42 minutes long? What a pain in the ass that must be.

You should try 78s, only 3 mins per side. There are benefits of course , as there are for 45 rpm LP sets.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

got the mobe ANOTHER WORKOUT 45 rpm set / sounds great, this is replacing my US cd which i havent spun in yrs, happy i never bought the 80s vinyl now

45 RPM Tracklist A1 Out Of Joe's Bag A2 I Should Care B Gettin' And Jettin' C Hank's Other Soul D1 Hello Young Lovers D2

Three Coins In A Fountain

So you have two LP sides with songs that are only 7:43 & 8:42 minutes long? What a pain in the ass that must be.

You should try 78s, only 3 mins per side. There are benefits of course , as there are for 45 rpm LP sets.

I've read of the reported benefits of 45 rpm sides but not heard that benefit myself. I've never heard anyone say that their 78 rpm records sound great though. :)

I've never heard anyone say that their 78 rpm records sound great though. :)

Really?

Really. *I* have never heard anyone say that their 78 rpm discs sound great. Sure, I've heard people talk about the great music on their 78s but I've never heard anyone advocating for some sort of audiophile-level sounds coming from them like I do from the people who are buying these new 45 rpm LPs.

Audiophile dudes aren't interested in the type of music that was recorded at the time 78s were the medium of choice. I don't think you get into country, prewar blues, or traditional Greek folk music, for example, because of how rad it sounds on your speakers. You get into it because the music is extremely fascinating.

But clean copies of 78s that were recorded very well sound amazing, so there is that.

Exactly. "sounding great" and "audiophile-level sounds" are two different mindsets, or at least not necessarily the same mindset.

78s got them bigassgrooves. They can hold a LOT of information and some of them do put out a helluva lot of presence. It was an original direct-to-disc format, remember.

I'm not a 78 guy myself, not even close, but I've got a few, and don't at all dismiss the format out of hand. Hearing Bird's entrance on "Sepia Bounce" on 78 nearly made me shit my pants in a way that no other format has. It called me Walter Cronkite and told me YOU ARE THERE.

Not overlooking the obvious in terms of specs and such, especially when we get into digitally recorded music, just saying that I've heard several people say that their 78s do indeed sound "great", and I have no reason to doubt them when they do. High speed, bigass groove to hold information, hey for whatever the machinery of the time could capture, no reason why it shouldn't sound great.

All I know is that certain record companies that reissue music originally released on 78s - Yazoo, Mamlish, Blues Image, Frog, Jazz Oracle - have issued LPs and CDs with very good sounding music. I have no doubt and it makes sense that the original 78s they've used as source material sound better than the LPs and CDs.

Well I'm a 78 guy as well as a 33.3, 45 , CD, MD, flac and streaming guy. With interests from the ODJB to Mad Dogs on the loose and everything in between. The point I was trying to make earlier was that 78s need to be flipped over every few minutes and whilst it can get a little tedious the allure of the physical product , it's history and provenance are great it's often the sound that captures you. Even some what worn 78s have greater dynamism compared to the same tracks transferred to LP or CD. The exceptions in my collection are where the 78s I have are in fact dubs and CD versions are from original pressings. The closer to the source the better it's going to sound.

Regarding 45rpm LP sets . My experience is limited to around two dozen BN Music Matters and just a couple of others. Although some of the claims about them have been over stated they easy sound the best presentations of the music I've heard. Of course they'll be bested by further editions and it's a bit of a chore flipping them every 8-10 mins but as with 78s there are benefits.

Edited by Clunky

This is The Hip Walk under another name, right?

Well, sort of. It's two sessions with different personnel mashed together, recorded by MPS, put out by Prestige. It's got part of Hip Walk.

Carmell Jones in Europe 1965-66 Prestige 7669
Group A Carmell Jones- trumpet Nathan Davis- tnr,sop Francy Boland- p Jimmy Woode-b Kenny Clarke- d
Group B Carmell Jones- trumpet Pony Poindexter- alto,voc Leo Wright-alto,flute Fritz Pauer-p Andre Condouant-gtr Jimmy Woode-b Joe Nay-d Annie Ross- voc
Carmell’s Black Forest Waltz (A) Jumpin’ at the Woodside (B) That Kaycee Thing (A) B’s Blues (A) The Hip Walk (A) Twisted (B)

Well, sort of. It's two sessions with different personnel mashed together, recorded by MPS, put out by Prestige. It's got part of Hip Walk.

Group A Carmell Jones- trumpet Nathan Davis- tnr,sop Francy Boland- p Jimmy Woode-b Kenny Clarke- d
Group B Carmell Jones- trumpet Pony Poindexter- alto,voc Leo Wright-alto,flute Fritz Pauer-p Andre Condouant-gtr Jimmy Woode-b Joe Nay-d Annie Ross- voc
Carmell’s Black Forest Waltz (A) Jumpin’ at the Woodside (B) That Kaycee Thing (A) B’s Blues (A) The Hip Walk (A) Twisted (B)

Aha, so it's got part of the Annie Ross/Pony Poindexter session (recorded at the 10th German Jazz Festival).

Now:

Andrew White - Spotts, Maxine & Brown - (Andrew's Music)

ripping take on "Dizzy Atmosphere" here.

Aha, so it's got part of the Annie Ross/Pony Poindexter session (recorded at the 10th German Jazz Festival).

Now:

Andrew White - Spotts, Maxine & Brown - (Andrew's Music)

ripping take on "Dizzy Atmosphere" here.

Has Andrew White retired from playing?

Gilmore with Elmo Hope is interesting, as is Gilmore with Dizzy Reece, although he's one of those guys who I don't think you can tell how he really was outside of the one place, because he hardly ever was, nor do I see what difference it makes, really. He did what he did where he did it, simple as that. Paul Gonsalves was not quite like that, but almost was. I think if you here the entire scope of his work with Ra, you get a pretty accurate picture of everything he could do, which was a helluva lot, and done pretty damn well.

He had his home, never dismiss the importance of having a home, not everybody does, especially jazz musicians of that time and place. Gigs are not generally good places to look for a home, but bands are, or were.

All I know is that if John Gilmore is playing, I'm listening.

Agreed