• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

davis_miles_enigma10i_101b.jpg41IexUVtfLL.jpg$%28KGrHqEOKkEE6PK+OTUlBOkMhSrBvw~~60_35$_1.JPG3856131271_d0df861b46.jpgwooden+joe+label.jpg

10" LPs tonight:

Miles Davis - Enigma (Blue Note)

Henri Renaud - Modern Sounds: France (Contemporary). Jimmy Gourley is great on this.

Jonah Jones - Jonah Wails (Angel)

Jimmy McPartland/Dizzy Gillespie - Hot vs Cool (MGM). A 1952 "battle of jazz" recorded at Birdland.

Louis Armstrong - New Orleans Days (Decca)

Wooden Joe Nicholas - A Nite at Artesian Hall (American Music)

The first is new - the "Black Friday" issue from a few months ago. The rest are originals from the 1950s.

Edited by jeffcrom

Those Brit EPs look very cool, Clunky.

Now playing:

scepter541.jpg

The Original Tuxedo Jazz Band (Scepter). This 1966 album represents more or less the halfway point for the longest-running band in jazz history. Banjoist Albert French is the leader here; his grandson Gerald French now leads the band.

Cor! Scepter didn't half produce some albums you wouldn't expect! I used to have a James Moody LP ('Running the gamut') on Scepter and the form also owned Hob, on which the Swan Silvertones, Thompson Community Choir and James Cleveland appeared (and which also reissued Harmonizing Four material from Gotham). All funded, I guess, by Chuck Jackson, Maxine Brown and Dionne Warwick.

MG

Coleman Hawkins - Accent On Tenor (Urania). Nice enough date but nothing I haven't heard from Hawk before. The cover is beat up and held together with yellow masking tape and the record has a few scratches but surprisingly doesn't play like it does. What do you want for $2? :)

Edit: Weirdly, this 1955(?) record is listed as Stereo when it sounds to my ears like Mono. Is this (US 41201) a later reissue where they said it was stereo when in reality it was actually mono?2262.JPG

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

I bought 'Twine' by Leimgruber and EP yesterday in the Clean Feed sale solely on Leeway's enthusiasm for UL. I've often wondered about Om (out loud on this board I suspect). And now I have Reflexion to wonder about too

Now playing Eberhard Weber - The Following Morning [ECM]. paid very little for this one a couple of days ago and I'm wondering how three tracks can be NM and one alone be completely trashed (and look fine)......weird. Music's enjoyable once you give it some time

Edited by mjazzg

Now playing:

scepter541.jpg

The Original Tuxedo Jazz Band (Scepter). This 1966 album represents more or less the halfway point for the longest-running band in jazz history. Banjoist Albert French is the leader here; his grandson Gerald French now leads the band.

Cor! Scepter didn't half produce some albums you wouldn't expect! I used to have a James Moody LP ('Running the gamut') on Scepter and the form also owned Hob, on which the Swan Silvertones, Thompson Community Choir and James Cleveland appeared (and which also reissued Harmonizing Four material from Gotham). All funded, I guess, by Chuck Jackson, Maxine Brown and Dionne Warwick.

MG

And initially by the Shirelles. And you could probably thrown in B.J. Thomas later on.

Now playing:

scepter541.jpg

MG

And initially by the Shirelles. And you could probably thrown in B.J. Thomas later on.

Sure - is the Shirelles' name remembered in the US? Seldom see it mentioned over here, or any albums in the second hand shops.

MG

Do you have the Reflexion Lps? I recall having one on Enja and Urs is on that album...

No I don't. I'll keep an eye out for them. Thanks.

I bought 'Twine' by Leimgruber and EP yesterday in the Clean Feed sale solely on Leeway's enthusiasm for UL. I've often wondered about Om (out loud on this board I suspect). And now I have Reflexion to wonder about too

Now playing Eberhard Weber - The Following Morning [ECM]. paid very little for this one a couple of days ago and I'm wondering how three tracks can be NM and one alone be completely trashed (and look fine)......weird. Music's enjoyable once you give it some time

I hope you will find my support of "Twine" well-placed. It's an album that works unexpectedly well. Might take a couple of spins. I enjoyed how they set each other off. I might even argue that Urs comes off a bit better. Would be interested in knowing your thoughts on UL. There are better albums of his (love the Hats) that show him off more, but this is very much OK.

Coleman Hawkins - Accent On Tenor (Urania). Nice enough date but nothing I haven't heard from Hawk before. The cover is beat up and held together with yellow masking tape and the record has a few scratches but surprisingly doesn't play like it does. What do you want for $2? :)

Edit: Weirdly, this 1955(?) record is listed as Stereo when it sounds to my ears like Mono. Is this (US 41201) a later reissue where they said it was stereo when in reality it was actually mono?2262.JPG

My copy is also designated as stereo, but actually mono.

At any rate, this cover looks VERY much like a later pressing to me, particularly that centered STEREO typeface at the top looks looks VERY 60s-ish (or even 70s)..

The original LP number was UJLP 1201 and the cover shown here ...

http://www.popsike.com/COLEMAN-HAWKINS-ACCENT-ON-TENOR-SAX-URANIA-UJLP-1201-OG/140651071950.html

... looks much more like a 50s cover.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder. Might as well spin the LP later myelf.;)

Now playing:

scepter541.jpg

MG

Sure - is the Shirelles' name remembered in the US? Seldom see it mentioned over here, or any albums in the second hand shops.

MG

I know that Shirley (Owens) Alston performs at oldies shows over here.

Now playing:

scepter541.jpg

MG

MG

I know that Shirley (Owens) Alston performs at oldies shows over here.

And back to MG's first post - I have a nice Art Farmer album on Scepter. The Tuxedo Jazz Band album was recorded in Germany while the band was on tour in 1964 and originally released on SABA there. Don't know the details of how Scepter got their hands on it.

At any rate, this cover looks VERY much like a later pressing to me, particularly that centered STEREO typeface at the top looks looks VERY 60s-ish (or even 70s)..

The original LP number was UJLP 1201 and the cover shown here ...

http://www.popsike.com/COLEMAN-HAWKINS-ACCENT-ON-TENOR-SAX-URANIA-UJLP-1201-OG/140651071950.html

... looks much more like a 50s cover.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder. Might as well spin the LP later myelf. ;)

What throws me off is that this newer "STEREO" pressing shows all the signs of being old itself. It has a deep groove. So if it's a later pressing, I'm thinking it's still late 50s or very early 60s.

Now playing: Woody Shaw - Lotus Flower (Enja). For some reason, this record never really resonated with me and still doesn't to this day. It's very good but I just can't put it in the elite category. It may be the recording itself, which seems thinner than most or maybe it's that early 80s bass sound which is its usual anemic twang.

Lotus_Flower_%28Woody_Shaw_album%29.jpg

gonzal_denn_witness~~_101b.jpg

WITNESS - daagnim records

Dennis Gonzalez with Prince Lasha (and various ensembles)

A very cool record from 1980s Dallas, with an avant, hand-crafted vibe. Our very own Jim Sangrey is handling the tenor sax duties!

Cool! Do you have any extra copies, Jim?

Now playing:

116409113.jpg

Oscar Pettiford - Orchestra in Hi-Fi (ABC Paramount)