• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Helen Merrill with the Gary Peacock Trio - Sposin' [Storyville, Denmark 1971]

first listen to this, stunning. My introduction to Merrill but purchased primarily because of Peacock and his Japanese tri

You don't have her record with Clifford Brown?!

5cd9917aef1f9a1c5694095121f491f1.gif

Edited by Dmitry

On 1/25/2022 at 7:33 AM, mjazzg said:

ZWc.jpeg

John Tchicai - Cadentia Nova Danica [Polydor, UK 1968]

such engrossing music that cuts through the slightly distant live sound. Must have been great to have been in attendance.

Incredible album. JohnS was at one of the UK performances.

18 hours ago, Dmitry said:

You don't have her record with Clifford Brown?!

5cd9917aef1f9a1c5694095121f491f1.gif

Haha -- I don't have Sposin' but it's one I'd like to get. The album with Brownie is great. I used to have a spare Japanese copy I would've just sent mjazzg. Think it got dumped when I did some pre-move pruning.

29 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Incredible album. JohnS was at one of the UK performances.

Haha -- I don't have Sposin' but it's one I'd like to get. The album with Brownie is great. I used to have a spare Japanese copy I would've just sent mjazzg. Think it got dumped when I did some pre-move pruning.

darn that prune!

revisiting some seldom played Gonzalez

a3548879591_16.jpg

Dennis Gonzalez - Stars/Air/Stripes [Daagnim, 1982]

Witness

Dennis Gonzalez - Witness [Daagnim,1983]

Both well worth a listen. 'Witness' featuring @JSngry  any memories?

10 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Witness

Dennis Gonzalez - Witness [Daagnim,1983]

Both well worth a listen. 'Witness' featuring @JSngry  any memories?

The Kings In Exile cuts (both here and otherwise) were mostly made on the fly, long group improvisations that got edited into "compositions".

I will note that "Biggest Liar In Asia" was my composition and went uncredited anywhere except on the label. I was also told that it became a "big hit" in Yugoslavia, whatever that means. This was verbally communicated, not financially...

Nick Brignola - Northern Lights (Discovery). Discogs seller failed to mention the slight warp. Playable, but still. Not the best studio recording. Never heard of the "UCA Recording Studios" in Utica, NY. Brignola's bari sounds like an alto in places and the bass is recorded in that buzzy style common in the late 70s-early 80's. The picture of a young John Lockwood on the back cover is pretty fun to see. Lockwood was a regular in my area before COVID and I probably saw him 10-15 times a year in various ensembles at Jocko's Jazz Club in Methuen. He looks very different now. Don't we all?

ZWc.jpeg

ZWc.jpeg

This is the John Lockwood I'm used to seeing...

Kind of Pink and Purple: January 2015

Next up - Lee Konitz Plays With The Gerry Mulligan Quartet (World Pacific/Tone Poet). I ordered this as a filler during an order that required a certain dollar amount to get free shipping. Not my favorite Konitz of Mulligan to be honest. It's almost too polite. I should've picked another record. :)

ZWc.jpeg

Jeez - is this LP short. I think it's only about 35 minutes long.

7 minutes ago, bresna said:

Next up - Lee Konitz Plays With The Gerry Mulligan Quartet (World Pacific/Tone Poet). I ordered this as a filler during an order that required a certain dollar amount to get free shipping. Not my favorite Konitz of Mulligan to be honest. It's almost too polite. I should've picked another record. :)

ZWc.jpeg

Jeez - is this LP short. I think it's only about 35 minutes long.

I love everything about this record, from the cover art to the short length and punchy tunes. It's the only Tone Poet I have been tempted to purchase! 

Just now, Rabshakeh said:

I love everything about this record, from the cover art to the short length and punchy tunes. It's the only Tone Poet I have been tempted to purchase! 

You don't find that it's a bit sedate? It's like a cool Jazz recital. I guess I'm just not hitting it off with it just yet.

... or I'm just missing the piano comping in the background? But I think not as I dig a lot of dates without a piano.

It's classic early Konitz, imo. Especially the live side. ZONE!!!

Also, it's hardly ever been OOP, except for that weird transitional period when the Pacific Jazz catalog was in some sort of limbo. But PJ themselves kept it in print (with many different covers along the way) ovdr the years, and now "Blue Note". It's one of those records that people seem to always want to have/hear.

25 minutes ago, bresna said:

You don't find that it's a bit sedate? It's like a cool Jazz recital. I guess I'm just not hitting it off with it just yet.

... or I'm just missing the piano comping in the background? But I think not as I dig a lot of dates without a piano.

I hear it as a mini big band record, where the piano isn't missed because the horn arrangements are so strong. 

It's definitely not the most "Konitz" Konitz record. I also prefer him with a piano, as a player. But here I think there's the excitement of the early 1950s big bands without the OTT extravagance or occasional corniness. And the front line is just so great.

Edited by Rabshakeh

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

The Kings In Exile cuts (both here and otherwise) were mostly made on the fly, long group improvisations that got edited into "compositions".

I will note that "Biggest Liar In Asia" was my composition and went uncredited anywhere except on the label. I was also told that it became a "big hit" in Yugoslavia, whatever that means. This was verbally communicated, not financially...

That's Yugoslavia for you

2 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's definitely not the most "Konitz" Konitz record.

We can say that now, with the benefit of, what, 60-ish more years of records after these. But pre-Motion-and-beyond, they were VERY "Konitz"!

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

That's Yugoslavia for you

Well, there's that as well...

Willis Jackson - Shuckin' (Prestige). Quite the band behind Mr. Jackson on this date. Kenny Burrell & Jose Paulo on guitar, Tommy Flanagan on piano, Eddie Calhoun on bass; Roy Haynes on drums and Joe Montego & Juan Amalbert on congas & timbales. With all that behind him, it still comes off as a typical Prestige blowing session.

cGVn.jpeg

It really does. That was one guy who was always "Konitz", but what that meant seemed to steadily but gradually change as the years went by. And listening in real time...it was almost like you didn't notice it at all until you played an early Konitz side back to back with a recent one, wherever you but those "early" and "recent" markers, and then only maybe will the changes jump out at you.

Very crafty guy that Lee Konitz was, not just in how he managed to always evolve, but to do it in such a way that he kept an audience that didn't revile him or be disappointed about for always doing so.

Jimmy Smith - Back At The Chicken Shack (Blue Note). The new LP from the Classic Vinyl Series. Stan the Man on sax makes this date for me. I really like Jimmy & Stanley. These Classic Vinyl Series LPs sound very nice. I hear that some buyers have been having more QC issues with this series (pressed at Optimal in Germany) as opposed to the Tone Poet LPs (pressed at RTI) but I've actually had more issues with the Tone Poet LPs.

cGVn.jpeg

On 3/3/2013 at 8:13 PM, bresna said:

Jimmy Smith - Jimmy Smith At The Organ Vol. 1 (BLP1551 mono RVG with the ear). I picked this up for $12 today. I was pretty surprised to find it in a store that usually doesn't have much Jazz. A couple of big scratches but these old original Blue Notes play pretty good even when scratched.

tumblr_ma3scxXvGi1r3cxcoo1_1280.png

Playing this one again. I forgot I had it stuffed into the rack.

Lonnie Smith - Drives (Blue Note). I have a label variant that someone on discogs dates to 1971/72. The LP artist/title and track info is printed in black ink. It sounds fine. Still uses the Van Gelder stamper. Not my favorite Lonnie Smith date. While the playing is fine, the tunes are not that great. Sign o' the times I guess. I'd rather hear the Blood Sweat & Tears version of "Spinning Wheel".

My cut corner is on the opposite corner.

cGVn.jpeg

cGVn.jpeg