• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Some swinging music to open the weekend with a nice W. Herman compilation

43270488re.jpg

First Woody album I ever bought - back in 1974 !

3 hours ago, Pim said:

445-CE5-B1-E5-A7-4-D5-E-9286-16-F94-FD2-

Oh how I wished for a TP of this one but I don’t think it’s gonna happen. I finally managed to obtain a OG copy for a ‘reasonable’ price. Pity almost all of them have ring wear or cut out or even both. But the vinyl sounds so incredibly great I don’t feel the need for a new reissue anymore. I nevertheless hope for others it will come because this is essential Lee Morgan. That moment Billy Harper kicks in on Capra Black is one of those classic ‘amen’ moments in jazz. This whole record always made me wonder what direction Morgan would head to if he had not been shot.

Really the names say it all don’t they: Lee, Billy Harper, Grachan Moncur III, Harold Mabern, Julie Merritt, Reggie Workman and Freddie Waits….

Amazingly, my copy has no cutout and no significant ring wear. I want a refund.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

First Woody album I ever bought - back in 1974 !

Amazingly, my copy has no cutout and no significant ring wear. I want a refund.

You must be the happy owner of that limited edition without ring wear and no saw cut ;)

5-AB05-C7-D-DD17-4-E9-D-8714-4-ECD4854-F

one of his lesser efforts for MPS imo

DC6-B1-B64-EFA6-465-D-9114-CFE7838-EF326

now that’s a TP candidate. This Fontana reissue sounds awful…. Lots of background noise and the piano far in the background. I wonder: is it the recording or the pressing? The vinyl looks very clean but doesn’t sound that way. 

On 2/11/2023 at 5:57 PM, kh1958 said:

Archie Shepp, Live in Tokyo (Denon)

Lionel Pillay, Deeper in Blackimage.png.0c00b2ff0167a199e7075b8e3e480387.pngimage.jpeg.02c86a56687f2e98afba0c9b39e8a95e.jpeg

I think I remember I saw this in a record store about the same time when Archie Shepp was in town (I had heard him with Siegfried Kessler, Bob Cunningham and Clifford Jarvis). 
Too bad that I didn´t have the money to buy this record, since it was very very expensive, it costed more than the price for 2 usual LPs. Same was with Max Roach in Tokyo, all those were very very expensive. 

MC0xODQ1LmpwZWc.jpeg

16 hours ago, Pim said:

DC6-B1-B64-EFA6-465-D-9114-CFE7838-EF326

now that’s a TP candidate. This Fontana reissue sounds awful…. Lots of background noise and the piano far in the background. I wonder: is it the recording or the pressing? The vinyl looks very clean but doesn’t sound that way. 

‘Portraits’ does sound much better on the Mosaic CD set.

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I remember I saw this in a record store about the same time when Archie Shepp was in town (I had heard him with Siegfried Kessler, Bob Cunningham and Clifford Jarvis). 
Too bad that I didn´t have the money to buy this record, since it was very very expensive, it costed more than the price for 2 usual LPs. Same was with Max Roach in Tokyo, all those were very very expensive. 

Those Denons were very expensive over here too. Up there with Blue Note King releases and more.

43 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

MC0xODQ1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Those Denons were very expensive over here too. Up there with Blue Note King releases and more.

Yes, it was in the 70´s when we paid in șiling, not in euro, and the usual price for an Lp was 160 ATS, but the Archie Shepp Denon was over 300 ATS and on the small ticket with the price there was handwritten "leider !" which means something like "sorry !". 

[IMG] 
You have to be lucky with these Rainbo pressings. This one sounds pretty… Solid! 
2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Thanks I’ve got that one on my radar. My copy is a Dutch mono from the 60’s. My Dutch mono of MJQ’s Fontessa also sound pretty bad…. Might be coincidence 

Edited by Pim

44 minutes ago, Pim said:
[IMG] 
You have to be lucky with these Rainbo pressings. This one sounds pretty… Solid! 

Thanks I’ve got that one on my radar. My copy is a Dutch mono from the 60’s. My Dutch mono of MJQ’s Fontessa also sound pretty bad…. Might be coincidence 

I think this was the first Grant Green album I had heard, but as I remember in the cover text it was  mentioned that it was released only after his death. But though I have listened to Grant Green Albums that were published during his life, this one remained the best for me. Great personnell and great tunes. Is it possible it has that strange 50´s tune "Ezz-thetik" on it ? 
Though "Idle Moments" also has the great Joe Henderson, I think I remember I liked "Solid" much much more. And it has Elvin Jones on drums. 

1 hour ago, Pim said:
[IMG] 

Ha - that’s where Mosaic comes in useful again. The sound on their ‘Complete MJQ Atlantic Studio’ set is pretty good as well. Those old MJQ albums on Atlantic and London can be a bit of a gamble.

1 hour ago, Pim said:
My copy is a Dutch mono from the 60’s. My Dutch mono of MJQ’s Fontessa also sound pretty bad…. Might be coincidence 

I find that both Dutch and UK Fontana’s from the early 60s can be a bit iffy. Surface noise can be a problem.

2 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Ha - that’s where Mosaic comes in useful again. The sound on their ‘Complete MJQ Atlantic Studio’ set is pretty good as well. Those old MJQ albums on Atlantic and London can be a bit of a gamble.

I find that both Dutch and UK Fontana’s from the early 60s can be a bit iffy. Surface noise can be a problem.

Yeah surface noise is the biggest problem. The vinyl looks very clean but doesn’t sound clear. I’ll keep that in mind buying new records.