What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Is this Barry Harris ? 

He was a real keeper of the flame. I think from all who were influenced by Bud , he was the one who was influenced mostly and much of his playing reminded me of the style of the later Bud of the sixties. I have heard that both have met and woodshedded in Nica´s house.

The trumpet player I work with had played with Barry Harris. He is astonishing and knows all those bop tunes ! 

It must be quite interesting to hear the Bud influenced Harris play Tadd Damerons compositions. Bud himself usually did "Hot House" and "Lady Bird" or "If You Could See Me Now". 
I heard Walter Davis once playing in  a manner that copied the original style of Tadd Dameron, which I also like very very much. His short solos are little pieces of art, they make you smile " 

I never saw a Peterson pic with him with a cigarette in the mouth. 
The strange thing on that foto or cover art is that on this one he looks very very similar to Bud. 

Herunterladen (14).jpg

Yes, that’s Barry Harris and as you said he was a real keeper of the flame. 

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

45233881bz.jpg

I never saw this. I think I have one or two of those JAPT double albums from my youth, especially meant for spinning some long track stuff when some buddies came to my place for drinkin some beer and having a nice evening. 

All those great musicians, but I can´t stand some of Granz´choices for the trombone chair. Bill Harris and Tommy Turk are very technical players and know their instrument, but I don´t really like their kind of style. They sound "funny" to me. But this also may be the purpose so it´s cool for all who like it. 

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Re:  Norman Granz & JATP

I never saw this. I think I have one or two of those JAPT double albums from my youth, especially meant for spinning some long track stuff when some buddies came to my place for drinkin some beer and having a nice evening. 

All those great musicians, but I can´t stand some of Granz´choices for the trombone chair. Bill Harris and Tommy Turk are very technical players and know their instrument, but I don´t really like their kind of style. They sound "funny" to me. But this also may be the purpose so it´s cool for all who like it. 

Yes these early CLEF Records are long oop.  Bill Harris was IMO also a great big band trombonist (with Woody) and great also in the Charlie Ventura groups. As opposite to you I like his playing in the JATP groups. Turk Murphy went more in the traditional and swing direction.

BTW  this recent Mosaic box shown below is my most recent investment and its great. Containing a lot of material I dont have on vinyl

[IMG]

contains the following vinyls

45236709dd.jpg

45236711st.jpg

Now spinning:

OS05NjgzLmpwZWc.jpeg

OS0zNDczLmpwZWc.jpeg

This is the second LP from Art Pepper's 1980 engagement at Ronnie Scott's.  It was released in Leviev's name due to Pepper's contractual constraints with Galaxy.

I found it at the Jazz Record Center in NYC last week.  :g

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

contains the following vinyls

45236709dd.jpg

45236711st.jpg

Wonderful to see all of these cover images, jazzcorner.  Thank you for assembling them.  :tup 

That's about the only criticism that you can consistently level at Mosaic: Their packaging doesn't include the album covers.  Even so -- in the larger scheme of things -- it's a small thing, and I'm grateful for all the amazing music they've reissued over the years.

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

OS05NjgzLmpwZWc.jpeg

OS0zNDczLmpwZWc.jpeg

This is the second LP from Art Pepper's 1980 engagement at Ronnie Scott's.  It was released in Leviev's name due to Pepper's contractual constraints with Galaxy.

❤️❤️❤️ and many more ....

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

OS05NjgzLmpwZWc.jpeg

OS0zNDczLmpwZWc.jpeg

Wonderful to see all of these cover images, jazzcorner.  Thank you for assembling them.  :tup 

That's about the only criticism that you can consistently level at Mosaic: Their packaging doesn't include the album covers.  Even so -- in the larger scheme of things -- it's a small thing, and I'm grateful for all the amazing music they've reissued over the years.

Aha - The Mole Jazz label !

I think their first LP of Pepper was ‘Blues For The Fisherman’, followed by this one.

The whole lot is on an OOP 6LP set from Pure Pleasure.

Now this:

MS02ODE0LmpwZWc.jpeg

David Schnitter - Invitation (Muse, 1976)
with Mickey Tucker, James Leary, and Eddie Marshall

His debut as a leader.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I think their first LP of Pepper was ‘Blues For The Fisherman’, followed by this one.

Yep!

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Also available as a 4-CD set from Laurie Pepper's Widow's Taste.

Edited by HutchFan

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Re JATP box from MOSAIC

I think its a question of costs and/or copyrights  but we all can say the sound quality is  1a. To compile the original covers we have the own stock and the Internet. My problem is I did start collection in the 1960s. So every Mosaic box  I buy   means also more or less duplicate music in my collection. But I can live with that.  ;-]]

Edited by jazzcorner

34 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now this:

MS02ODE0LmpwZWc.jpeg

David Schnitter - Invitation (Muse, 1976)
with Mickey Tucker, James Leary, and Eddie Marshall

His debut as a leader.

Yep!

Also available as a 4-CD set from Laurie Pepper's Widow's Taste.

I recall seeing David Schnitter with Cedar Walton circa 1979/80. He had just taken over from George Coleman in ‘Eastern Rebellion’.

34 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Forgot about that.

The Pure Pleasure issue is very good. Much prefer it to the Mole LPs, which sound a bit rolled off to my ears.

24 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

I think its a question of costs and/or copyrights  but we all can say the sound quality is  1a. To compile the original covers we have the own stock and the Internet. My problem is I did start collection in the 1960s. So every Mosaic box  I buy   means also more or less duplicate music in my collection. But I can live with that.  ;-]]

I get sick of hearing about this particular Mosaic set, considering that mine remains untraced and lost somewhere mid-Atlantic. Mosaic Bermuda Triangle perhaps. 🥺

Edited by sidewinder

Another David Schnitter LP:

NS03ODUyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Recorded in 1978-79

12 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I recall seeing David Schnitter with Cedar Walton circa 1979/80. He had just taken over from George Coleman in ‘Eastern Rebellion’.

I didn't know that Schnitter played with Eastern Rebellion.  I'd always assumed the baton went directly from Big George to Bob Berg.  I guess not.  ;) 

13 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I get sick of hearing about this particular Mosaic set, considering that mine remains untraced and lost somewhere mid-Atlantic. Mosaic Bermuda Triangle perhaps. 🥺

Bummer.  Hopefully, it'll eventually show up on your doorstep.  

22 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

@HutchFan - I don't really know Schnitter. Where would you start?

In terms of his albums as a leader, I only have the two LPs shown above: Invitation and Glowing.   I prefer Invitation slightly.  It's a classic tenor-plus-rhythm date -- and Mickey Tucker's presence is always a plus.  BTW, don't expect anything mind-blowing -- but they are both enjoyable, solid jazz records.

As for his sideman work, I would recommend these (very underrated, IMO) Art Blakey albums, which also feature James Williams and Bobby Watson along with Schnitter:
- In This Korner (Concord)
- In My Prime, Vol. 1 (Timeless)
- In My Prime, Vol. 2 (Timeless)

Schnitter's work on Richard "Groove" Holmes' Shippin' Out (Muse) is also excellent.

I don't have any of his more recent stuff. 

Hope that helps.

Edited by HutchFan

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

In terms of his albums as a leader, I only have the two LPs shown above: Invitation and Glowing.   I prefer Invitation slightly.  It's a classic tenor-plus-rhythm date -- and Mickey Tucker's presence is always a plus.  BTW, don't expect anything mind-blowing -- but they are both enjoyable, solid jazz records.

As for his sideman work, I would recommend these (very underrated, IMO) Art Blakey albums, which also feature James Williams and Bobby Watson along with Schnitter:
- In This Korner (Concord)
- In My Prime, Vol. 1 (Timeless)
- In My Prime, Vol. 2 (Timeless)

Schnitter's work on Richard "Groove" Holmes' Shippin' Out (Muse) is also excellent.

I don't have any of his more recent stuff. 

Hope that helps.

Thank you

10 hours ago, sidewinder said:

My mistake - it was Berg !  I did see Schnitter though in the same timeframe and venue with Art Blakey !

No doubt the Mosaic will turn up, tied to a bottle with a note in it..

Yes, me too ! I saw Schnitter only with the late 70´s Art Blakey Messengers personnel . Actually, this was the band that brought Blakey back to top billing after some difficult years in the early-mid seventies. He really can play, very very soulful, I think I even heard a version of "Georgia on My Mind" where he sings the tune, and I think the coda was a slight imitation of Leon Thomas. 
Dave Schnitter really looks cool. Somehow very similar to my brother in law (also black curly hair). So I would have liked to know more about his ethic background ? Is he a darker type of caucasian, or is he a light coloured afroamerican like Jackie McLean was ? I mean, it´s the music that counts, but nevertheless, I´m quite interested in ethnic backgrounds too since me myself I am a mixture of 3 or 4 different backgrounds 😄

13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Aha - The Mole Jazz label !

Ah yes, Mole and Ed Dipple. A mutual friend, emailing this week from Milan where he now lives, writes: "Next year will be the 30th anniversary of Ed's premature demise."

12 hours ago, sidewinder said:

There is hope. Had ordered from an italian seller a vinyl which seemed lost or stolen  too. In a private email he sweared he had shipped it. Discogs had suggested to him to refund me. No reaction. Three month later the vinyl arrived a my housedoor.

So have a little patience more ;-]]

2 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

There is hope. Had ordered from an italian seller a vinyl which seemed lost or stolen  too. In a private email he sweared he had shipped it. Discogs had suggested to him to refund me. No reaction. Three month later the vinyl arrived a my housedoor.

So have a little patience more ;-]]

I’ve little doubt it will arrive - and my suspicion is sometime next week after the UK customs people finally work out with their abacuses how much import tax is payable on it. It was so much quicker and more reliable with Mosaic shipping though in the old days.

No doubt when it arrives it will be superlative, as per usual.

I have a number of the JATP LPs on Clef and one on Stinson I think, a 10” . It’s nice to have them all nicely compiled on CD in best sound though.

13 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

i saw McShann in the mid 80´s, very fine

I saw him ‘89 or ‘90 too. In the old ‘Cafe des Copains’ in Toronto, where this Sackville recording was made (I think). Saw Sir Charles Thompson at the same venue around the same timeframe. That place was an absolute mecca for jazz piano.

2 hours ago, BillF said:

Ah yes, Mole and Ed Dipple. A mutual friend, emailing this week from Milan where he now lives, writes: "Next year will be the 30th anniversary of Ed's premature demise."

A sad anniversary. Wish his shop was still in operation and that he was still behind the counter. At least I have the t-shirt to remember it though.

92894149160054.jpeg

Edited by sidewinder