Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Ornette Coleman, The Shape of Jazz to Come (Atlantic)

Randy Weston, Live at the Five Spot (United Artist, Japanese Pressing)image.jpeg.2dc1d155919f836467c8516f46bef8e4.jpegimage.jpeg.b85c1a01c816822760a68230c9ab7076.jpeg

When I thought that I am ready enough for Ornette Coleman (one of my very first listenig experiences in Jazz was the Mingus Group with Dolphy from 1964), "Shape of Jazz to come" was on my wishlist but not available. My first OC albums was "Empty Foxhole" on BN and "Crisis" on Impulse. When I finally found the "Shape of Jazz...." it sounded quite conservative to me, not like "Free Jazz"......

It is strange that Randy Weston besides his standard compositions "Little Niles" and "Hi-Fly" was not very much in evidence in disc collectios or performing schedules in my country in the early 70´s, 80´s. I saw his name first on the cover of the not so good "Mingus and Friends in Concert 1972" and from an interview with Valerie Vilmer. It seems that he was very much bound to north african culture then, more than the hard core scene of NY.

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

When I thought that I am ready enough for Ornette Coleman (one of my very first listenig experiences in Jazz was the Mingus Group with Dolphy from 1964), "Shape of Jazz to come" was on my wishlist but not available. My first OC albums was "Empty Foxhole" on BN and "Crisis" on Impulse. When I finally found the "Shape of Jazz...." it sounded quite conservative to me, not like "Free Jazz"......

It is strange that Randy Weston besides his standard compositions "Little Niles" and "Hi-Fly" was not very much in evidence in disc collectios or performing schedules in my country in the early 70´s, 80´s. I saw his name first on the cover of the not so good "Mingus and Friends in Concert 1972" and from an interview with Valerie Vilmer. It seems that he was very much bound to north african culture then, more than the hard core scene of NY.

Ornette is a Texas blues saxophonist, the best one.

Randy Weston, by virtue of traveling, I was fortunately able to see twice in person. Solo piano once, and the other with his African Rhythms with Billy Harper and T.K. Blue.