What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

3 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Unpopular opinion:  Cables ruins these recordings for me with his clingy/clangy dissonant piano. Give me any other pianist Dex ever performed with, from this era, or better yet, Kenny Drew.

Fair enough.  We can only hear with our own ears.

I totally dig Cables' playing -- but that's me.  

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Niko said:

Mi04MDMwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Not the first album i bought on recommendations from here... Seeing the "Go Home Dirty Bopper" signs BillF mentioned whenever Bruce Turner's alto is in focus (but not getting the Bebop vibes at all...)

No, of course Turner wasn't a bopper; he was very much a mainstreamer. But to the people with the banner, anything that broke the strict front line rule of trumpet, trombone and clarinet was sacrilege. 👎

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

Ni0yNzk2LmpwZWc.jpeg

👍

51E-BTia8DL.jpg

Ornette Coleman - New York Is Now!

I probably haven't listened to this in 7-8 years but I'm spinning the Round Trip and have to say though a bit uneven still very adventurous. The set is in stereo and feel this recording may benefit from mono. 

Edited by jcam_44

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

Ni0yNzk2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Oh yes.  :wub:

Nice!  :tup

IMHO the best of Dexters CBS recordings, and one of the best acoustic jazz albums from the time of the renewed acoustic boom in the late 70´s. 

13 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Unpopular opinion:  Cables ruins these recordings for me with his clingy/clangy dissonant piano. Give me any other pianist Dex ever performed with, from this era, or better yet, Kenny Drew.

I don´t have that album, I think it was pretty fast OOP. But I like George Cables´ piano. I heard him do fantastic solos, like one special on "A Moment´s Notice" and his gimmick of playing some rubato piano on ballads and then get back into swing with the bass and drums comin´ in again.....really sharp. 
I heard George Cables also an a lot of other records with other artists. Saw him once with Diz, and his album "Four Seasons" with Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Lewis and Philly J.J. is wonderful. 

Okay, I also liked Kirk Leightsey playing with Dex. I don´t know many other pianists who might have played with Dexter after his homecoming to N.Y., first it was Cables, then it was Leightsey. 

Only on one 1981 album "Gotham City" there is a completely different band, it´s more an all star thing with Blakey, Percy Heath, Cedar Walton and George Benson, also very fine. But this was no touring band. 

4 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

51E-BTia8DL.jpg

Ornette Coleman - New York Is Now!

I probably haven't listened to this in 7-8 years but I'm spinning the Round Trip and have to say though a bit uneven still very adventurous. The set is in stereo and feel this recording may benefit from mono. 

I don´t see nothing adventurous in it. Those two albums "Love Call" and "N.Y. is Now" are like "Free Jazz for Starters", I mean what he did for Impulse! was much more advanced. Here there are a lot of swinging passages and he uses Elvin Jones and Jimmy Garrison, who were in Trane´s band before he went "free" (replacing Jones with Rashid Ali). 

My favourite for all times here is "Garden of Souls" one of the most beautiful and moving compositions I ever heard. 

Most of my knowledge of ballads comes from what Billy Eckstine sang with his Band in the 40´s . This one, together with "Mr. B. and the Band" (also from Savoy") are my favourites of vocal jazz. 

I listen much more to male singers like Mf. B., Kenny Hagood, Earl Coleman, Johnny Hartman, than to female singers and I would like to do a gig with a male singer who knows that stuff, but you can find female singers very easily, but not male singers in that genre......

images.jpg

20 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I don´t see nothing adventurous in it. Those two albums "Love Call" and "N.Y. is Now" are like "Free Jazz for Starters", I mean what he did for Impulse! was much more advanced. Here there are a lot of swinging passages and he uses Elvin Jones and Jimmy Garrison, who were in Trane´s band before he went "free" (replacing Jones with Rashid Ali). 

My favourite for all times here is "Garden of Souls" one of the most beautiful and moving compositions I ever heard. 

I should have qualified that I find it adventurous for Blue Note. But I still find them enjoyable and if "Free Jazz for Starters" what it is, call me a starter. I have no doubt your ear is far more advanced than mine and I'm okay with that. 

HaroldLand-westward-bound.jpg

Reel to Real 2LP. Some good Land - and Carmell Jones - at Seattle Penthouse. Another Kevin Gray mastering.

21 hours ago, Pim said:

06-A65-AA1-8-FAF-47-D0-9248-36-E5-FC1-DE

pretty damn good record with Billy Harper, Cecil Bridgewater and George Mraz. Klaus Weiss made some great records! Can’t say I really dig the artwork but that’s a matter of taste probably.

That artwork is worthy of 32 Jazz !