• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Marcello Melis - Free To Dance [Black Saint, Italy 1978]

This is such a good album, look at that line-up. So why haven't I played it in over five years I ask myself

😀

Melis is really interesting. Not only the Black Saint and Vista LPs, but Hamiet Bluiett's Bars (which he wrote & arranged, mostly) and half of Mario Schiano's Sud (as the Bluiett).

Edited by clifford_thornton

7 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Melis is really interesting. Not only the Black Saint and Vista LPs, but Hamiet Bluiett's Bars (which he wrote & arranged, mostly) and half of Mario Schiano's Sud (as the Bluiett).

Thanks, I know 'Bars' but not the Vista nor the Schiano.  I'll see if I can check them out

Edited by mjazzg

20 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Pretty good album that I oughter pick up one of these days...

A recent addition. It's quintessential Garrick with that British choral writing tradtion to full effect.

My copy has the added bonus, to me, of all the musicians' autographs on the inside gatefold with dedications to "Derek" who was obviously involved in some way but isn't credited anywhere. I need to research who that might be.

Any clue @sidewinder?

Edited by mjazzg

39 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

A recent addition. It's quintessential Garrick with that British choral writing tradtion to full effect.

My copy has the added bonus, to me, of all the musicians' autographs on the inside gatefold with dedications to "Derek" who was obviously involved in some way but isn't credited anywhere. I need to research who that might be.

Any clue @sidewinder?

Nice. I actually discovered recently that my Poetry & Jazz 250 is signed inside the box by Garrick -- the autograph was obscured by an inlay that I hadn't taken out.

Primary

Neil Ardley - A Symphony Of Amaranths [Regal Zonophone, UK 1972]

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Nice. I actually discovered recently that my Poetry & Jazz 250 is signed inside the box by Garrick -- the autograph was obscured by an inlay that I hadn't taken out.

That's a good surprise. I should revisit the poetry & jazz, it was a bit too rich a mixture for me 20 years ago and I haven't tried since

30 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

That's another cool record. I like LaPorta on it, and the composing is good too. Lots of great ideas in that era.

Yes, I agree. the group name and LP title sum it up nicely. I love this era of Mingus. With hindsight you can hear what's coming down the line but I think the era has merits all of its own.

Primary

Herbie Hancock - The Prisoner [Blue Note, Germany 1970(?)]

always been a favourite Herbie date.

12 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, I agree. the group name and LP title sum it up nicely. I love this era of Mingus. With hindsight you can hear what's coming down the line but I think the era has merits all of its own.

Those records are obviously juvenalia and they are also their own sort of dead end, but they're really interesting dead end juvenalia. Third stream and its colleague: esoteric cool and bop modernism.

The link to Black Saint is obvious but also the records are really different. It's more a link in thinking that actual musical language. 

I'm also a big fan of John LaPorta. He's not the best alto player by any means, but he has a nice smokey quality and, more importantly, he tended to be on oddball interesting records only.

Now spinning:

LTUzOTEuanBlZw.jpeg

Jan Garbarek - Places (ECM, 1978)
with John Taylor (org, p), Bill Connors (g), and Jack DeJohnette (d)

EDIT:  Such masterful drumming by Jack.  His propulsive drive makes this music go.

23 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Neil Ardley - A Symphony Of Amaranths [Regal Zonophone, UK 1972]

:tup  

Edited by HutchFan