• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pee Wee Russell 'A Chronological Remembrance' (IAJRC)

I'm so jealous. I have twelve of Pee Wee's albums, plus some he did with others on the JazzTone label, but not that one.

Love Pee Wee Russell. :cool:

The music of Pee Wee Russell always brings a smile on my face :P

To keep in a similar mood, now spinning:

Willie 'The Lion' Smith 'The Lion Roars' (Dot)

Burt Bacharach - Reach Out (A&M)

We're getting ready to go to the boss's holiday party, and I felt the need to put on some music that young adults in 1970 may have listened to while getting ready to go to a holiday party. I'm ready for a Cutty Sark...

Well, the Burt album did the trick. I was wearing a polyester shirt and flare pants. I felt like a guy who would've written in to Playboy in 1970 asking what kind of wine would be appropriate to bring to his boss's holiday party...

What's that?

I've been in Prague recently and I definitely fell in love with her.

It's one of those really nice Supraphon albums that have a gatefold cover with a book glued in. Already worth acquiring for its looks! This one presents an overview of Czechoslovakian "dance bands", made sometime in the late 50s/early 60s is my guess. There is some pretty wild and whack stuff among the 15 tracks. I sometimes wonder how people were supposed to dance to it all...

What's that?

It's one of those really nice Supraphon albums that have a gatefold cover with a book glued in. Already worth acquiring for its looks! This one presents an overview of Czechoslovakian "dance bands", made sometime in the late 50s/early 60s is my guess. There is some pretty wild and whack stuff among the 15 tracks. I sometimes wonder how people were supposed to dance to it all...

Thanks Couw!

Any musical relation with Goran Bregovic and Mid European Brass Band?

I'll look for some of them next time I'll dig in some vinyl shops.

Edited by porcy62

What's that?

Thanks Couw!

Any musical relation with Goran Bregovic and Mid European Brass Band?

I'll look for some of them next time I'll dig in some vinyl shops.

it's less Balkan and more C-European folk and classical influences. In this time Karel Krautgartner did some great pieces combining classical structures with jazz settings and improvisations; he's a good classical clarinet player, known for his recordings of Stravinsky. Very nice. The bands of Gustav Brom and Karel Vlach produced very solid swinging jazz tinged dance music with the occasional off the wall solo. Dalibór Brazda had a brass and string orchestra that did these very light swinging pieces with a rich swaying sound supported every now and then by voices going "oooh" and "aaah". Gotta luvvit.

I only have the 1958-1960 and the 1961 installments, but AFAIK the "Jazz in Czechoslovakia" LPs all come in this lush gatefold cum booklet form. They were released for the foreign market and can be found in with English, German and French text. The music on these albums is really excellent.

Koeroessy%20-%20Jazz%20in%20der%20Tschechoslowakei%2061.jpg