• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sonny Stitt w/ Art Blakey "In Walked Sonny" on Sonet--is that a UK label? Found a really clean copy for $12 on my weekend trip to NYC--signed by Blakey!!

I've seen both Swedish and English Sonets. Most references appear geared to the Swedish/Scandinavian Sonet, which was the primary independent label in the region until PolyGram bought it. I suspect that the UK Sonet was either a subdivision or an entirely different operation.

Somebody here probably knows more than me and will chime in disparagingly in about ten minutes.

Sonny Stitt w/ Art Blakey "In Walked Sonny" on Sonet--is that a UK label? Found a really clean copy for $12 on my weekend trip to NYC--signed by Blakey!!

I've seen both Swedish and English Sonets. Most references appear geared to the Swedish/Scandinavian Sonet, which was the primary independent label in the region until PolyGram bought it. I suspect that the UK Sonet was either a subdivision or an entirely different operation.

Somebody here probably knows more than me and will chime in disparagingly in about ten minutes.

Nope - that's right. British Sonet was a branch of the Scandinavian outfit, though they may have had a wider range than the parent company, since they also handled Alligator Records (and Specialty before Fantasy bought that company) in the UK.

My copy of this, by the way, is the Spanish release, manufactured by Discophon. I've often wondered if there was a Japanese release preceding the Sonet, but never seen anything to confirm that.

Damn good album, though.

MG

Inspired by tranemonk's enjoyment of the Lou Donaldson Mosaic box, I've been playing the albums that make it up! LPs first.

Quartet/quintet/sextet - Toshiba

Wailing with Lou - Toshiba

LD+3 - King

Sunny Side up - King

Midnight Sun - BN Rainbow

Funny how most are Japanese...

MG

Archie Shepp 'The Magic of Ju-Ju' (Impulse, stereo, orange label)

One of the best Shepp LPs!

However, I've never seen an orange/black pressing. Mine is black/red, which appears to be the usual version.

The label on my copy is also black/red. I bought it when it was issued. The cover on my copy also has a "stereo" sticker covering what I assume is a printed "monaural". I believe that Ju-Ju was issued in late 1967, at the end of most monaural record issues.

Those Impulse labels are commonly refered as 'orange'.

To quote from Wikipedia:

'Impulse! releases are known for their distinctive design, dominated by black and orange on the sleeve spine and record label. Impulse!'

I don't see red when I see these Impulse labels :g

Hi brownie -

I don't want to get into an argument over something that's not important, but the label on my copy of Ju-Ju is clearly red and black. At some point, Impulse changed from orange and black to red and black. I just checked the label on my copy of Mama Too Tight, the Impulse issue previous to Ju-Ju, and that one is orange and black. The label on my copy of The Way Ahead, the Shepp Impulse issued after Ju-Ju, is red and black.

If your copy is orange and black, I believe you.

P.S. -- I'm not color blind. :g

edited for punctuation

Edited by paul secor

The second label I've also heard referred to as "rainbow" because of the ABC logo. I just call them black/red... and not to be persnickety, but my spine has a reddish tint to it, rather than the usual bright orange!

Trespassimp.jpg

Though mine doesn't have Genesis labels, it looks like these!

Edited by clifford_thornton

What'dja think of "Miles Ahead" and "Rain Forest?"

TTK, my database showed that I hadn't listened to either since 2003, so it was extra enjoyable to hear them both. Both are relaxing, and I was in the right mood for both.

I got Rain Forest for Christmas, 1966. It seemed like jazz to me at the time, but it's really not. Bucky Pizzarelli contributes some jazz riffs, but Wanderley's style is lounge. Still, for what it is, it's good, with a good selection of songs.

Miles Ahead has never been one I've worn out the grooves of. It's particularly good as background music. When I first got into jazz forty years ago all the writers for Downbeat couldn't say enough good things about the Miles records with Gil Evans. In retrospect, I can see that they were different from the run of the mill, with good production values (money spent on the sessions). I'm glad I have it, and it occurred to me that this would be a good present to someone who is not already into jazz in a big way. But I won't be spending money on a new remaster of it. Maybe one day I'll appreciate Svengali's arrangements more. Miles' playing is good, but not eye-opening.

Yesterday and today I have pulled out some albums I haven't listened to since 2003. When you keep your albums in LIFO order (rather than alphabetical) it's easy to do!

Yesterday:

Earle Hagen -I Spy, Music from the Television Series (Warner Bros.)

Eddie Harris & Les McCann - Second Movement (Atlantic)

Today:

Larry Coryell - Barefoot Boy (Flying Dutchman)

Stan Kenton's Greatest Hits (Capitol)

What'dja think of "Miles Ahead" and "Rain Forest?"

TTK, my database showed that I hadn't listened to either since 2003, so it was extra enjoyable to hear them both. Both are relaxing, and I was in the right mood for both.

I got Rain Forest for Christmas, 1966. It seemed like jazz to me at the time, but it's really not. Bucky Pizzarelli contributes some jazz riffs, but Wanderley's style is lounge. Still, for what it is, it's good, with a good selection of songs.

Miles Ahead has never been one I've worn out the grooves of. It's particularly good as background music. When I first got into jazz forty years ago all the writers for Downbeat couldn't say enough good things about the Miles records with Gil Evans. In retrospect, I can see that they were different from the run of the mill, with good production values (money spent on the sessions). I'm glad I have it, and it occurred to me that this would be a good present to someone who is not already into jazz in a big way. But I won't be spending money on a new remaster of it. Maybe one day I'll appreciate Svengali's arrangements more. Miles' playing is good, but not eye-opening.

I was just curious. I really love "Miles Ahead." It may be my favorite of the Miles/Gil Evans collaborations. I always find something new in it.

Agree with your assessment of "Rain Forest." Not a great hangover record is it? A bit too hyper at one sitting, but most of the cuts would work well on a comp or in a dj set. WW has other records I like more. Still, a hip record to have received for Christmas 1966! You are truly The Man Who Reads Playboy...

I really love "Miles Ahead." It may be my favorite of the Miles/Gil Evans collaborations. I always find something new in it.

I don't dislike Gil Evans. It wouldn't surprise me if one day Miles Ahead clicks for me. It just hasn't yet.

I'm going to give Evans another chance this week: His Complete PJ recordings are at the top of my Your Music queue.

The cover on my copy also has a "stereo" sticker covering what I assume is a printed "monaural". I believe that Ju-Ju was issued in late 1967, at the end of most monaural record issues.

No sticker on the copy I have but the back cover has STEREO at top and MONAURAL at the bottom part which is folded to show up at the bottom of the session photos and details page. Impulse (and other labels too) obviously had problems dealing with the transition from mono to stereo discs.