• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'Eric Dolphy at the Five Spot' (Esquire). Great sounding UK original of the New Jazz.

Is this the same cover art as US edition ? Never seen the Esquire...

Now spinning : Kenny Dorham "MATADOR" UA original US. A fine version of Little Melonae...A fine Jackie and Kenny session.

Esquires usually have different artwork. I believe this one had a white cover with red and green print, and a photo of Eric. Some of the Esquires are stunning, but none look f-ugly. And the sound is, from what I hear, worth the price...

Matador is amazing. My Japanese pressing is just fine, though not a textured jacket!

Esquires usually have different artwork. I believe this one had a white cover with red and green print, and a photo of Eric. Some of the Esquires are stunning, but none look f-ugly. And the sound is, from what I hear, worth the price...

This one is the same cover art as the Prestige, I believe. The one that Clifford mentions is 'Outward Bound' I think (have that one also in the Esquire edition) - cover art by John Marshall ! They can be scarce as only a very limited pressing was done for most of the titles back in the late 50s/early 60s. UK pressings then came under the Transatlantic/XTRA logos.

Shake Keane 'That's The Noise' (Ace of Clubs, mono). Typical but not unpleasant covers of 60s pop tunes for most of the LP, then Stan Tracey comes to life on the funky last track. A fascinating LP ! :tup

Wayne Shorter 'Schizophrenia' (BN Liberty, stereo)

Edited by sidewinder

This one is the same cover art as the Prestige, I believe. The one that Clifford mentions is 'Outward Bound' I think (have that one also in the Esquire edition) - cover art by John Marshall ! They can be scarce as only a very limited pressing was done for most of the titles back in the late 50s/early 60s. UK pressings then came under the Transatlantic/XTRA logos.

In between Esquire and Transatlantic, EMI was releasing Prestige in Britain on the Stateside label.

MG

In between Esquire and Transatlantic, EMI was releasing Prestige in Britain on the Stateside label.

MG

I really like the few Esquires I've picked up , heavy vinyl but light weight if very glossy sleeves. Pressings seem very fine although I can't compare them to anything else as I pick up only what I've not got already on CD. Not sure when the transition to Transatlantic was made but those seem pretty good too. Certainly better VFM these days compared to US Prestiges/New Jazz originals. Best Esquires so far for me have been Teo Macero- Quartet, Informal Jazz Elmo Hope and Mal Waldron Impressions- all in best condition I've ever seen 50 year old LPs. The cover of the Macero is the same as the equivalent OJC CD the others I'm not sure about.

MG

I really like the few Esquires I've picked up , heavy vinyl but light weight if very glossy sleeves. Pressings seem very fine although I can't compare them to anything else as I pick up only what I've not got already on CD. Not sure when the transition to Transatlantic was made but those seem pretty good too. Certainly better VFM these days compared to US Prestiges/New Jazz originals. Best Esquires so far for me have been Teo Macero- Quartet, Informal Jazz Elmo Hope and Mal Waldron Impressions- all in best condition I've ever seen 50 year old LPs. The cover of the Macero is the same as the equivalent OJC CD the others I'm not sure about.

British issues of Prestige main series albums

The last Prestige to be first issued by Esquire was Jack McDuff's "Screamin'" (PR7259 - Esq 32-196)

The first Prestige to be first issued by EMI on Stateside was Jack McDuff's "Live" (PR 7274 - SL10060)

The last Prestige to be first issued by EMI on Stateside was Carol Ventura's "I love to sing" PR7405 - SL10180 (WTF? - well, it was recorded in London)

The Prestige discography table of equivalents doesn't mention the Transatlantic issues because they used PR7XXX numbers (except for the budget reissues on Xtra), so I don't know what the first one was. The earliest one I've got (or ever seen that I can remember) is Johnny "Hammond" Smith's "The stinger" - PR7408.

MG

The last Prestige to be first issued by Esquire was Jack McDuff's "Screamin'" (PR7259 - Esq 32-196)

The first Prestige to be first issued by EMI on Stateside was Jack McDuff's "Live" (PR 7274 - SL10060)

The last Prestige to be first issued by EMI on Stateside was Carol Ventura's "I love to sing" PR7405 - SL10180 (WTF? - well, it was recorded in London)

The Prestige discography table of equivalents doesn't mention the Transatlantic issues because they used PR7XXX numbers (except for the budget reissues on Xtra), so I don't know what the first one was. The earliest one I've got (or ever seen that I can remember) is Johnny "Hammond" Smith's "The stinger" - PR7408.

MG

Here in Holland the early titles - I think - were only available as imports (though on a very low scale). I have never seen any European pressings, except for some of the later titles (7400+) on the German Funckler label (nice laminated jackets and solid pressings). Some of the Swingville/Moodsville/Bluesville titles which were sold here had European jackets (Interdisc) but contained original pressings.

MG

Here in Holland the early titles - I think - were only available as imports (though on a very low scale). I have never seen any European pressings, except for some of the later titles (7400+) on the German Funckler label (nice laminated jackets and solid pressings). Some of the Swingville/Moodsville/Bluesville titles which were sold here had European jackets (Interdisc) but contained original pressings.

Barclay issued PR in France, up to about 7200, then I think Voix de son Maitre . Bellaphon, then Saba in Germany. Not nearly so clear about the periods, however. Some Fontanas from MV etc, also.

MG

Barclay issued PR in France, up to about 7200, then I think Voix de son Maitre . Bellaphon, then Saba in Germany. Not nearly so clear about the periods, however. Some Fontanas from MV etc, also.

MG

From what I remember, Barclay used their Prestige collaboration to release ten-inchers only in the '50s! La Voix de Son Maitre which took over the Prestige distribution in the early '60s released twelve-inchers with local made covers and pressings.